Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Smoke Free by 2007 July

1101112131416»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I wasn't bothered whilst there. It was just waking up the next day to find my room actually smelt just like the pub!:lol: Then promtly getting a glass of water and continuing my sleep.

Lol. I will miss that genuine pub smell though following the ban. It just won't be the same.
    Lol. I will miss that genuine pub smell though following the ban. It just won't be the same.

So very true.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6244315.stm?ls

Amusing but absolutely unbelievable.

If I had my way the woman behind this 'complaint' would be stuck in a lift with a gang of chain smokers puffing away.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6244315.stm?ls

Amusing but absolutely unbelievable.

If I had my way the woman behind this 'complaint' would be stuck in a lift with a gang of chain smokers puffing away.

Hahaha. Classic.

Some people are completely stupid... it's getting more like the USA over here all the time, worrying.

And yeah, that good old pub smell will be missed... it'll be a fair bit crap without hte smell of fags, sweat, and booze. I can imagine it being a bit less fun too.
    I've not read ANY of this thread but will say the following (and will await with baited glee for the flaming as I don't give a fuck):

It works fine in NYC, San Fran, Dublin etc etc

I am a non-smoker, and ANYTHING to get rid of the fucking stink of cigs is a winner in my books, even if you can smell people's farts.

Waking up the next day without feeling you need to scrape the previous night off you is a major thing for me.

If anybody brings up the nanny state "don't eat fast food" thing, you can suck my balls. Simply put - you eating it doesn't make me stink. Smoking does. I eat fast food now and again, yet by not eating it 27/4, I am not a 20 stone pie-eating fucker. Simple case of moderation. When it comes to smoking though - I do NOT like inhaling other peoples smoke at all.

Bring on the ban. I'm 100% for it. If you need to smoke, go outside. I'll be inside the nightclub with the tunes, the hugs and the farts. ;)
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Hahaha. Classic.

Some people are completely stupid... it's getting more like the USA over here all the time, worrying.

And yeah, that good old pub smell will be missed... it'll be a fair bit crap without hte smell of fags, sweat, and booze. I can imagine it being a bit less fun too.

Ok - the person in the link you posted was a useless, busybody, waste of space, but why anybody would miss the foul stink you so describe is beyond me... :crazyeyes :shocking: :nervous:

Bring on the smell of booze, with maybe a nice "non-violence inducing" scent floating around certain cities in the UK.
    I prefer the smell of beer in a pub rather than the smell of smoke.
    Smell of beer? I obviously go to the wrong pubs :razz:

For the very little that it's worth eating fast food DOES make you stink [but no I won't suck your balls you charming specimen].

Never woken up next to someone - though I wouldn't be surprised given your attitude - who graced the 'bab shop with their prescence the night before? Eurgh.
    They'll be banning table salt next.
    briggi wrote:
    Smell of beer?

For the very little that it's worth eating fast food DOES make you stink [but no I won't suck your balls you charming specimen].

LOL!
    Why is exhaust smoke relative to the arguement? Cars are driven outside... Not inside pubs where people are forced to breath in their smoke.
    Not all vehicles are driven outside. I worked in an enclosed warehouse for 2 years where we all drove forklifts indoors. Now hear me when I say that our forklifts used diesel which can be very potent and dangerous.

I just to quote a great democrat and see what you think of this: "Any man that would give up a little liberty for a little security will deserve neither, and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

I have never doubted the hazards and health risks of smoking. I've smoked for 5 years now and I have always been considerate of none smokers. I always take my drink outside with me and smoke outside if possible. If that isn't possible then I will ask those around me if they mind.
    The risks are there but there are just as many risks with alcohol. And before anyone says alcohol doesn't hurt anybody else other than the drinker, let me just inform you that the only reason I don't work at that warehouse any more is because some stupid drunk thought it would be funny to stab me with a broken bottle. Due to this I am blind in one eye and am no longer able to drive a vehicle of any kind and can not work in most places.
    Getting a little bit off topic here.

Back to my main point then. The quote I used above I have quoted because non smokers are tearing away a smokers right of choice (their liberty) so they can eliminate the small chance that they will get lung cancer (their security).
    Anyone who has studied biology will be able to tell you that there are many possible causes of cancer. Even age is a possible cause so to stamp on someone's liberty and freedom of choice is a Totalitarian or Nazi's dream.
    By the way, did you know that one of the places exempt from the smoking ban is the Houses of Parliament?
    briggi wrote:
    Smell of beer? I obviously go to the wrong pubs :razz:

Never woken up next to someone - though I wouldn't be surprised given your attitude - who graced the 'bab shop with their prescence the night before? Eurgh.

Actually, you mis-read what I typed there:

"Simply put - you eating it doesn't make me stink. Smoking does." This brings my comment completely back into the correct context.

Hahaha - my attitude? Nah, I just really hate smoking! I do have my slightly uncouth moments, although I'm not entirely sure how this has any bearing on the people I sleep with!? I'd forgotten I'd posted in this thread, to be honest...

G.

P.S. Nothing wrong with my balls though! ;)
    I prefer the smell of a girls minge tbh.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I prefer the smell of a girls minge tbh.

Depends.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Perhaps second-hand smoke does really smell but the stuff going into my lungs tastes goooood. Otherwise I wouldn't do it.