Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Antibiotics for skin

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know there's quite a few people on here who suffer from different types of skin problems e.g acne etc. and just wondered if anybody had been down the antibiotics route with their doctors and what sort of results they had? I realise everyone's different but would be interested to find how people went on them. I've only just started them as i plucked up the courage to go to the docs and she was really quite cool.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What are you taking and for how long?

I've tried most of them so am happy to let you know my experiences, but there's a fair few options within the antibiotic category.
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Have you tried any other methods to reduce or clear acne?
    Yep.
    I know that anything with Benzyl Peroxide 2.5% is enough to kill bacteria on the skin, do not go higher than 2.5% as your skin will become dry. There are a few products with this, but also some products contain 5% and 10% which is too high.

For me its ok but hasn't given me the results i wanted.

A new thing im trying is liquid oxygen acne wash, my friend introduced it to me, although it leaves your skin feeling nice the results are no better than benzyl peroxide. So what else is there?

Oh and if anyone is interested in the liquid oxygen wash is can be purchased from http://www.oxyhealth.co.uk/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=8 Its called neaclear, i definitely recommend it as it leaves you feeling fresh.
    A variety of face washes, the best I've found are usually the tea tree ones for sensitive skin, not too viscious or drying, I tend to use Superdrugs own brand at the moment, have found it to be as good as anything else and it doens't react with the creams I'm using.

Drink plenty of water and eat fruit and veg, my skin flares worse than usual if I don't drink enough.

After that you're onto the GP stuff, topical retanoids work well on a lot of people if you can put up with the flare when you first start using them. Topical or oral antibiotics, the pill if you're a girl.
    I do drink plenty of water and eat my fruit and veg everyday without fail. I suppose smoking has something to do with it, and as i have given up 5 days so far maybe i'll see a difference soon.

I find i flare up the worse if i eat chocolate or any kind of crap !

Im not too keen on antibiotic tabs, i don't want to give my liver any more stress at the moment.
    My doc prescribed me Dalacin T topical solution and it is great on my skin! Skin has not turned dry or anything!
    Have been down the normal routes e.g the face washes, tea tree etc., the over counter skin treatments. The pill is not an option. The pill was part of what triggered off my skin 6 years ago. Until 9 months ago it never really used to affect me, but since last May it's gradually got to the point where it's affecting me emotionally and socially. I'm not a hermit but over the last 2 weeks i've been out with my friends once due to my skin. Sad but true huh.

The docs have put me on doxycycline if that means anything. 50mg once a day for a three month trial.
    Smitherz, there are options from your GP that aren't antibiotic tablets. You can get Dalacin, like Button mentioned, which is an antibiotic lotion which works well for some people and has no affect on your liver.

Carolina, give the doxy a good shot, like it probably says on the packet take it with food and plenty of liquid, and stay the right way up for at least half an hour after taking it. That should help stop the antibiotics upsetting your stomach.

I know how very very hard it is to persuade yourself to go out with your mates, who to you seem to have nigh on perfect skin but you need to try. Staying at home getting more and more pissed off with it won't do you any good and it won't help the acne either.

It will always always always look far far worse to you than it does to anyone, get out there and have fun.

xx
    I don't get acne, but whenever I get a spot I am suprised by how bloomin sore they are to touch, so I sympathise with you guys. My brother had acne pretty badly, scarred his face too. He tried a few things that made little to no difference then one thing suddenly worked like magic so, there is hope. Like the pill, try diff things til you find something to suit.

Not a very helpful post, more of a good luck...
    I've been on doxycycline (and another antibiotic from the same family) as well as minocin. They worked temporarily but it came back.

I also used Dalacin with another cream the chemist made up for me, it cleared up the skin but i was still getting new pimples. Zineryt is also good if you use it with benozyl peroxide.

Retin A and roaccutane were the only things which got rid of the acne, but i went through hell trying to get my dermotologist to put me on it and if you do go on it (and are sexually active) they WILL put you on the pill.
    I tried Dianette OC pill but didnt make much difference. Benzoyl peroxide lotion didnt work. Tetracycline didnt work. That was when i was in my teens. Tried loads of OTC products too.
    Im not a very good measure though because i dont have bad acne, and also im completely obsessive about my skin. The slightest blemish and i go mad, i cannot bare imperfections and will scratch and dig at my skin to try and get rid of whatever it is but only make it worse!
    I just rely on Rimmel Recover foundation!
    Nothing will get rid of every imperfection and attacking anything that does appear will just makes things worse, especially with foundation!

There's no reason not to do it, but you can't have unrealistic hopes. :D