Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Punctuation Pedants

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I need your help, you anally retentive weirdos.

I was flicking through the Strunk & White Elements of Style book and I came across the section on the serial comma.

Now the book suggests that the comma should be used after every term except the last, their example being:

"Red, white, and blue".

Whereas, I was taught that the correct usage would be:

"Red, white and blue".

The 'and' creating the natural breathing gap, making the comma redundant.

So who's right?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In german it's your way. No comma before the 'and', but very often I put one there.

My punctuation is horrible eitherwise, because in german, you make, a comma. or period,all, the. time, and. it looks, like, and mine.field-of dashes.dots.commas, etc. whereas.in-the_english language. you scarcly.use punctuaions`
  • Options
    I agree with you. If you speak and say "Red .. white .. and blue" it doesn't flow off the tongue very nicely. But, as always, proper English does not necessarily mean what is the most natural thing to say. I'm sure Kaff and co. will be along shortly to tell us we're wrong :).
  • Options
    I've always been taught that the , is used until the last term in the sentence ... where an 'and' is used.

probably not a credible post but that's what I think. It looks wrong with a comma before the 'and'. :razz:
  • Options
    In all the style sheets I looked up online, almost all of them state that a comma is needed after every item in a list with three or more items. Therefore, it would be:

Red, white, and blue.

Unless guidelines for the professional or academic institution for which you're writing states otherwise...
  • Options
    This same topic was debated over in a grammar pedant thread fairly recently and the grammar pedants were divided in opinion.

I tend not to use the comma before and.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I tend not to use the comma before and.

..and what??

;) ugh, that was a terrible one
  • Options
    :confused: i always get a good bollocking when i put a comma before the and, so im pretty sure its

red, white and blue not red, white, and blue

the and means there is no need for a comma because the comma replaces the and, bloody hell that sounds confusing lol
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    ..and what??

;) ugh, that was a terrible one
    lol
  • Options
    You don't always need a comma before 'and'. In this case though, I would use the comma, making it 'red, white, and blue'.
  • Options
  • Options
    I've always been taught not to use the comma in the last word before 'and'.
  • Options
    The 'and' doesn't function to replace the comma in this case though. It's not acting as a punctuation mark, and it doesn't provide a 'breath mark', the same way as the use of 'and' in 'red and blue' doesn't require an intake of breath.

Just to add, Quirk et al (1985) carried out statisical testing of commas between 'and' and 'but' in coordinate clauses and found that they were 'dealing with tendencies [of comma use] which, while clear enough, are by no means rules.... (I)t is probable that the general truth that punctuation conforms to grammatical rather than rhetorical considerations is in fact overridden."

So, it looks like, according to one of the most established grammarians of English, that you can use either way.
  • Options
    I've never used a comma before the "and" in a sentence.
  • Options
    The usage of a comma before the term 'and' at the end of a list varies, however, it is something that is recommended in a number of reference books. It helps to clarify things when one of the terms in the sentence is a composite one:
    'This item comes in a variety of colours; you can choose from red, red and white, and green.' or 'This morning I went shopping at Boots, Sainsbury's, and Marks and Spencer.'

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    The 'and' doesn't function to replace the comma in this case though. It's not acting as a punctuation mark, and it doesn't provide a 'breath mark', the same way as the use of 'and' in 'red and blue' doesn't require an intake of breath.

Just to add, Quirk et al (1985) carried out statisical testing of commas between 'and' and 'but' in coordinate clauses and found that they were 'dealing with tendencies [of comma use] which, while clear enough, are by no means rules.... (I)t is probable that the general truth that punctuation conforms to grammatical rather than rhetorical considerations is in fact overridden."

So, it looks like, according to one of the most established grammarians of English, that you can use either way.
    FAO: KoG - Guess what I am doing this term :hyper:
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.

It doesn't really matter as everywhere seems to adapt the styles; I was just intrigued as to the proper usage.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Thanks everyone.

It doesn't really matter as everywhere seems to adapt the styles, I was just intrigued as to the proper usage.
    I like this version ,,red;; blue',',', a,n'd/ whit/////??e'@....
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options

That really doesn't suprise me, given that you're thesite's version of woody wood pecker :razz:
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    That really doesn't suprise me, given that you're thesite's version of woody wood pecker :razz:
    Hee hee ha how ha or whatever that ponce pecker says.
  • Options
    Hee hee ha how ha or whatever that ponce pecker says.

Heh-heh-heh-HEH-heh!
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Heh-heh-heh-HEH-heh!
    So simple....
  • Options
    FAO: KoG - Guess what I am doing this term :hyper:

I'm guessing grammar? And please, don't tell me you're excited about it. Grammar makes me sad.... :(
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I've always been taught not to use the comma in the last word before 'and'.

same here
  • Options
    really? i was tought "red, white, and blue"
  • Options
    I'm guessing grammar? And please, don't tell me you're excited about it. Grammar makes me sad.... :(
    Nope! Articulatory and Impressionistic Phonetics with John Local. We have a whole hour a week where we are encouraged to make funny noises :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    You are not meant to put a comma before and, but often, I do. I just add commas where I think they sound-wise in speaking, where I would pause.

It's because I am always right, no matter how someone is taught, and I just generally "feel" that is the right way. :p I am peculair.
  • Options
    Nope! Articulatory and Impressionistic Phonetics with John Local. We have a whole hour a week where we are encouraged to make funny noises :D
    Dude, that's awesome! You'll really enjoy it. Just wait until you start doing acoustic phonetics, that's really cool :)
  • Options
    English grammar is awful. I really don't care about heads and dependents and all that jazz ;(
  • Options
    Doofay wrote: »
    English grammar is awful. I really don't care about heads and dependents and all that jazz ;(

I remember reading that if you're reeling of a list of items, then a comma is proper, but not so with names.

i.e. I went with Adam, Bill and Chris

i.e He was silly, insane, and comical

I remember trying to learn about the apostrophe. Now that can be a tricky beast!

"The princesses' hand bag" - a number of princesses and their jointly owned handbag

"The princess's hand bag" - one princess and her handbag

Edit: Biblical names are treated completely differently to anything else when using apostrophes!