Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Blackheads ....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, I have spent a large proportion of the last ten years of my life trying to get rid of what I thought were blackheads ... only to have my boyfriend laugh at me this morning as he said that they were just my pores!!

I dont want to sound stupid here but around my nose and up my cheekbones, if you look really closely, I have very pale grey dots. If I squeeae them, nothing happens. So who is right? Me or my other half?

Comments

• Options
    If they are pale and grey then maybe. Ahhh. I have the same problem. I usually end up trying to rub out follicles though.

Exfoliate, maybe that would shift it if it is blackheads
  • Options
    Black heads are pores with stuff in them.

Lots of people have bigger more noticeable pores around their nose so if they are pale grey and nothing is coming out and they don't really change then I suspect he is right and they are pores.
  • Options
    Black heads are pores with stuff in them.

Lots of people have bigger more noticeable pores around their nose so if they are pale grey and nothing is coming out and they don't really change then I suspect he is right and they are pores.
    *feels slightly stupid*

10 years trying to get rid of pores. No wonder it's been unsuccessful.
  • Options
    Nah, not stupid at all. I just happen to have fairly horrendous skin and saw a very nice dermatology nurse a few times so am now pretty clued up. Mistake lots of people make apparently.
  • Options
    well, without wanting to make a new topic. How do you get rid of blackheads, or if there is the equivalent "whitehead" too. I wash daily, use those grainy face washes (you know, the ones that feel so scratchy), then I use those kind of tonic water thingies for the cleaning of your skin (where is no alcohol in it, is that essential?), but they never really seem to disappear. Sometimes there are fewer sometimes more.

Isn't it just sweat and fat etc blocking the pores? is it possible to avoid that in the first place?
  • Options
    I have large pores too which yes do look like black heads. Black heads are just pores with stuff in 'em. You can actually get products that reduce the size of the pores, causing them to shrink (I'm not sure how but when I worked around cosmetics Clinique and Estee Lauder were doing them!) so if it's an issue for you then you could look for products to reduce them. Otherwise love your gurt pores :heart: :P Just gotta keep 'em clean.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    well, without wanting to make a new topic. How do you get rid of blackheads, or if there is the equivalent "whitehead" too. I wash daily, use those grainy face washes (you know, the ones that feel so scratchy), then I use those kind of tonic water thingies for the cleaning of your skin (where is no alcohol in it, is that essential?), but they never really seem to disappear. Sometimes there are fewer sometimes more.

Isn't it just sweat and fat etc blocking the pores? is it possible to avoid that in the first place?

You can get black head specific soaps and cleansers. I know you're in Austria so I'm not sure what you get, but there's lots of 'solutions'. For example pore strips which you leave on then peel off and they remove the dirt. To keep my pores clean, I just washing with my cleanser (it's just a normal foaming one by avene). Some days (as my skin gets dry) I put some exfolliate (Clinique's) and swish it over my skin to get rid of dead skin cells which can cause spots, and make up and such, then moisturise.

Black heads can come from sweat, your skin producing it's natural oils, etc...

Clean and Clear do black head products I believe.
  • Options
    so, things I actually do already...

guess I need to be more patient then. it's a slow progress.
  • Options
    Tbh if you're doing all that already and drinking plenty of water then there isn't a lot else you can do.

The general concencus is that after that there's not a lot you can do for any kind of acne other than drastic medication.
  • Options
    have you guys just simply tried a 3-step skin care routine (cleansing, toning and moisturising) for your skin type, i used to use supermarket brands like clean and clear as well as boire and they didnt work.

Then i discovered two brands nimue and clinique which have changed my skin sooo much. Nimue was great when i was trying to get rid of my acne and blackheads and now clinique is good at keeping the skin in shape. One drawback is that both are pretty pricey :(
  • Options
    Trust me I've tried everything! Thanks for the thought though.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    have you guys just simply tried a 3-step skin care routine (cleansing, toning and moisturising) for your skin type, i used to use supermarket brands like clean and clear as well as boire and they didnt work.

Then i discovered two brands nimue and clinique which have changed my skin sooo much. Nimue was great when i was trying to get rid of my acne and blackheads and now clinique is good at keeping the skin in shape. One drawback is that both are pretty pricey :(
    I don't have particularly bad skin. I'm just overly obsessed. Thanks for the suggestions anyway; I may splash out on something more expensive but if I'm honest, I spent years trying to clean off a bit of make-up, which turned out to be a freckle, so I should probably just accept that it's just pores.
  • Options
    I am a bit obsessed with blackheads too. I try everything to get rid of them when probably no one notices them apart from me.

The body shop does a nose mask which dries and you peel it off, that's quite good.

I find the best thing is to steam your face over a bowl/sink of boiling water with some tea tree oil in. Then apply the mask or a rip off strip (Biore do them), wait till completely hard and rip off all in one go. Then put toner on.