Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

DOUBLE JOINTED

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm double jointed and I've always wanted to be good at sport. My joints are laxable, which means my co-ordination isn't too good and neither is my strength or speed.
I understand that people have far worse problems than me, people are blind or deaf or in a wheelchair. But with laxable joints there's no excuse not to don well.

I used to get bullied real bad because of my joints and very few people were sympathetic.
On my Duke Of Edinborough I had trouble keeping up because my group was moving too fast and my knees were swolen. I ended up at the back with a girl who had bad asthma and her boyfriend.

The teacher told me it was my fault for not keeping up (even though I had a doctors note cos I had a scoliosis) and she told me I was lazy.

You see, I do try. All I've ever wanted to do was travel, be good at outdoor pursiutes and sport. I know I'll never be in the olympics, but I'd like to know if anyone else has had similar experience or known someone who has.

I'm not an invalid, I just find sport harder. Does anyone have any advice for me?

IN THE BEGINNING THERE WAS THE WORD...

Comments

• Options
    Yup, Path is right about believing in yourself and getting what you want.

Calcium is great for your bones but I'm not sure how it affects the joints.

If you enjoy sport that's great. Being double jointed cannot stop you from enjoying what you love doing.
  • Options
    Also, I was a long-distance runner back at school. I suffered with asthma but i didn't let it control my life.

The more I ran the stronger my lungs became.

Get more info about your illness and I'm sure u can find a way to fight it
  • Options
    I know exactly what you mean.
    My platella bone in my knee is funny and grates, which is excruciating.
    My teachers always thought that i was just being lazy and trying to get out of sport.
    It was so frustrating.
  • Options
    PS

I just checked the site, and there are 12 egroups specific to scoliosis.

J9
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, I might try kick boxing soon, my Auntie was good @ it & she was double jointed!

IN THE BEGINNING THERE WAS THE WORD...
  • Options
    Hey Liberty I have scoliosis too. Its not a big curve but it kills ! I am in so much pain! I always feel really stupid when I tell people about it. At work I had to tell them that I couldn't clear the tables anymore because I was in too much pain and the trays were heavy and they were really nice about it but I know they think I'm lazy. What do you do about it? I have to go for xrays every month to check whether its gone more curved or not. I also used to go to physio when the pain was really bad but I don't go anymore. Have you read the book Deenie by Judy Blume? Its brilliant, about a girl with scoliosis. Did you know Natalie (or Nicole I can't remember) APpleton out of All Saints had it too? Well Just thought I'd tell you LoL