Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pendulum do rock music!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm just interested to know what some people think of this... basically if you didnt know Pendulum are a big Drum & Bass group, they had a hit with slam (had the vid of the fat guy dancing about in the street with his top off)

Anyway, all 3 of the members used to be in rock bands before moving to drum & bass, and recently they decided to fuse the 2 genre's together. They did a tour where they played there own drum & bass tunes but using real instruments so it sounds like rock music... Unfortunatly i missed the fabric showing of it :( but I have since seen a vid and it looked amazing!!

Just interested to know what rock and or DnB fans think of them doing something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5prDapNXt4
The start of the vid sounds like a straight up rock band, but as it gets futher in you can hear the DnB elements coming in, about 3 mins in they do Slam but live with guitars and synthesizers.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah I've seen that video on youtube before.
    I knew they were in metal/rock bands in Australia before forming Pendulum, and even though their music is Drum & Bass, there have always been rock influences in it and in some cases songs have featured guitars. I've always thought of their music as s sort of hybrid of Drum & Bass and Rock, although much more Drum & Bass, so it didn't shock me too much to see them play live with guitars and a drum kit.
    I think it's fucking cool personally, I like rock music aswell as DnB, and to see them fused together, I think it's sic! :thumb: Nice one Pendulum.
    Oh yeah, that vid is old... the event was last year lol... I just didnt know there was a vid for it till the other day!

I was ment to be going to that night but I got blown out last min! Gutted!!
    Yeah some of there work was quite rock influenced, there are a couple of DnB artists that are doing it... another big one is DJ fresh with tunes like Nervous...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDU3-xQbB-0

Like you though I quite like some rock music, so its nice to hear the 2 mixed.
    Pendulum are working on a 2nd album at the moment, would be interesting to hear how it comes out after they have been doing this sort of thing
    Yeah I think it's great when artists fuse genres. Like when Korn, Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach e.t.c fused Metal with Hip Hop.
    It annoys me when people take the piss out of every other genre of music and claim to hate anything but one genre. Sure you can have a favourite genre but to say you hate everything else and slag it off, is just stupid in my opinion.
    DJ Fresh, I think I may have heard some of his stuff before, rings a bell...
    Yeah I can't wait to get their second album, I reckon they are going to be the new Prodigy.
    pill 'ed wrote:
    I reckon they are going to be the new Prodigy.

I dont think they will go that far... DnB doesnt have the exposure that dance music had back when Prodigy were coming up the ranks.

Also I'm up and downy with Pendulum... when I heard there album hold your colour I was amazed, I thought it was one of the best dance music albums I had ever heard... since then, they have released boring samey tunes, and in terms of seeing them live... they cant mix too well lol
    So I started to go right off them, but with this new live tour (if they do it again) and there second album i'm hoping to restore my faith in them.
    Yeah I guess you're right actually...

Well yeah I mean Pendulum have had alot of slaggings from DnB fans, many who claim they are not 'real Drum & Bass', and I doubt them touring with live instruments like a rock band will help that, but I don't think it should matter, I think it's great that they are doing something different and although they will lose some so-called 'die hard drum and bass fans' they will also gain new one's. I know what you mean about some of their tunes they've released since Hold Your Colour, not crap but nothing special at all.
    Still overall I think these guys are good and I'm looking forward to hearing what they've got in store for us next.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Never been a real fan of Pendulum, simply because they represent what I dislike about how D&B's evolved. Saying that some of thier tracks are good such as Slam and the remix of Voodoo People.
    It's just not the stuff I'd choose to listen to at raves.
    Where I used to go for the D&B and Hardcore arenas at events, now I'd spend most of my time in the old school arena or choose to simply go to an old school event. Jungle and Hardcore from 94-98 suits me fine.
    Suppose I'm stuck in my ways. :D
    Weekender Offender 
    oh yeah, dont get me wrong... I have never been the sort of person to say 'oh, they have become commercial, they are shit now!'

I just got a bit bored of them, some of the stuff they were still doing was good... like blood sugar and distress signal, but it was all just jump up dance floor tunes which become a bit samey, rather than what they had on there album which I thought was ground breaking music...

But yeah its nice to see them bring there style of music in a different form and if they do another tour like that one Im def not missing out on it this time!
    Skive wrote:
    Never been a real fan of Pendulum, simply because they represent what I dislike about how D&B's evolved. Saying that some of thier tracks are good such as Slam and the remix of Voodoo People.
    It's just not the stuff I'd choose to listen to at raves.
    Where I used to go for the D&B and Hardcore arenas at events, now I'd spend most of my time in the old school arena or choose to simply go to an old school event. Jungle and Hardcore from 94-98 suits me fine.
    Suppose I'm stuck in my ways. :D

yeah, thats fair play though... I know alot of people who dont like how DnB has evolved recnetly, it has changed a hell of alot...
    Mostly I think its really good and Im still a massive fan of it, there are a few artists though that are trying to drag it down the same shit road garage went down... thats basically making under produced tracks for kids just to fill there wallets rather than please the crowd!

I hope them artists die out, cos I know you dont like the way its going, but if you go really deep into it there are some amazing artists producing great tracks, but they just arent given the credit for what they are doing and no body knows about them. Its a shame really.
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Yeah I think it's great when artists fuse genres. Like when Korn, Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach e.t.c fused Metal with Hip Hop.

It was done way before them. You may want to check out The Beastie Boys or even Public Enemy with Anthrax - Bring the Noise.
    Public Enemy with Anthrax - Bring the Noise

Quality track. So much better than Aerosmith / Run DMC partly as both bands involved are much better.

My band and I once tried various dance styles but with electric guitar / bass and drums. It sounds really good - just like a really rounded, complete sound. If I've got one quibble with DnB / dance music, it can sound too synthetic and fake. Proper live dance / DnB would be a great thing to see but very rarely happens.
    URGH.

Pendulum.

I had to put up with them till 4am in the morning at work once as they did a gig/event at our place. I was almost reduced to tears >.<

Everyone went a bit pyscho and was chanting "PENDULUM! PENDULUM!"

Sorry. I know I'm saying nothing useful hre.
    Live DnB is this the best DnB around, Checkout London Elektricity and checkout the FUKT stuff, their mental, this is their best vid is the Pendulum's version The Prodigy - Voodoo People - http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vro8txhrgso

Also checkout the Jungle Drummer - Jungle Drummer vs. DJ Fu - http://youtube.com/watch?v=N93-r8m7rYo
    I like some Pendulum. I like the Voodoo People remix. Always find that Pendulum vs Freestylers - Fasten Your Seatbelt gets people bouncing at parties and in DnB clubs I've been at (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67WLIEU-iEQ). I can see why purists don't like them though.
    Proper live dance / DnB would be a great thing to see but very rarely happens.

You wanna go and see Dead Silence Syndicate.

http://www.deadsilence.co.uk/dssbHome.aspx
    Not a big fan tbh.
    i like some of their stuff, and production wise, they're top notch. but certain tunes are awful (eg; slam).

when im drunk in a cheese club, and the dj plays the usual 2/3 dnb tunes, ill always go off my tits, even to slam, cos its the only dnb ill get to hear all night. also, pendulum is the only dnb that some of my mates will listen to. heard the album far too much cos of this, but at least i dont have to put up with more indie bands!

respect for the rock gig footage though. thats how tunes like slam need to be performed.

drum and bass drummers are sick. i saw jungle drummer in newquay and it was amazing.

theres some vids on youtube showing some bloke busking in america with a few tubs and pans drumming dnb beats. very impressive.
    drumbeat wrote: »
    drum and bass drummers are sick.

I have decided to put DJing on the back burner for a bit to learn to play the drums, Its going really well so far and I love it.

I think it would be wicked to be able to play like them guys do!
    I'm at work till this evening, but I will check it out when I get home. Nice one mate.
    Blagsta wrote: »
    It was done way before them. You may want to check out The Beastie Boys or even Public Enemy with Anthrax - Bring the Noise.

Yeah I know about them, just wanted to mention Korn because they're my favourite band! :razz:
    JamesZero wrote: »
    I have decided to put DJing on the back burner for a bit to learn to play the drums, Its going really well so far and I love it.

I think it would be wicked to be able to play like them guys do!

If you wanna do that then get drum pads instead of a real drum kit. Roland have got a great V-Drum series that will suit both studio use and live performances. Then get your self Native Instruments Battery 3 which is a drum sampler so you can really mash things up and go crazy with weird and wonderful samples, not just drum samples either. Roland have got some vids on their site.

http://www.dv247.com/invt/36013/
    http://www.roland.com/V-Drums/

Also checkout Ableton Live - http://www.dv247.com/invt/35969/
    Makoto wrote: »
    If you wanna do that then get drum pads instead of a real drum kit. Roland have got a great V-Drum series that will suit both studio use and live performances. Then get your self Native Instruments Battery 3 which is a drum sampler so you can really mash things up and go crazy with weird and wonderful samples, not just drum samples either. Roland have got some vids on their site.

http://www.dv247.com/invt/36013/
    http://www.roland.com/V-Drums/

Also checkout Ableton Live - http://www.dv247.com/invt/35969/

I was looking at the rowlands, they looked very expensive though, unless im looking at the wrong model.. im sure they were near on a grand for a set.
    A lot of rockers I know love D&B.... A lot of D&B fans I know love rock... I mean maybe the scene kinda fuses somewhere?
    A lot of rockers I know love D&B.... A lot of D&B fans I know love rock... I mean maybe the scene kinda fuses somewhere?

One of my mates who is a massive D'n'B fan and never really listens to anything else, reckons he can hear D'n'B influences in System of a Down's music.
    JamesZero wrote: »
    I was looking at the rowlands, they looked very expensive though, unless im looking at the wrong model.. im sure they were near on a grand for a set.

For a top quality sounding set that will last you won't find them much under 1K unfortunately. The SPD20 is a very nice pad, a lot of people use them. http://www.roland.com/products/en/SPD-20/ - that's just shy of 500 quid. If your serious then buy Roland or Yamaha.

There is also the iED01 http://www.zzounds.com/item--IONIED01 - you can pick that up for around 220+ (have a look on Price Runner to find the best deal). It's not the best sounding and I heard it's "you get what you pay for".
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    One of my mates who is a massive D'n'B fan and never really listens to anything else, reckons he can hear D'n'B influences in System of a Down's music.

yeah there is.

i put dnb into about 4 groups; old school/jungle, chilled out/liquidy, club/jump up, and dark/techy.

some of the tech stuff is very similar in mood and style to metal bands such as system of a down. while hiphop has links with the jungley stuff. and dance music has links to the jump up tunes.
    Jungle is more reggae influenced than hip hop tbh.
    i said has links with.

but yeah, dub/reggae was a heavy influence on jungle.
    just that hiphop and dnb generally have the same speed basslines, and similar funk breaks are used such as funky drummer and amen brother throughout older dnb. rappers are also common.

what i meant was that there are many different areas of dnb, and parts of it can appeal to a lot of people. dnb is more like a style than a genre, similar to jazz.

even my uncle who likes jazz and not much else can get into some of the older jungley stuff.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Jungle is more reggae influenced than hip hop tbh.

Jungle certainly, but they don't make jungle anymore. :( Just moslty crap D&B.
    Weekender Offender 
    Congo Natty is still making jungle afaik

http://www.congonattymusic.com/cn/