Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Which satnav?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm after a satnav device and am after your opinions.

My parents have got a TomTom One which is great but it seems to have loads of features which I wouldn't use - all I'm interested is a decent, clear screen and a good mapping system. I'm not all that bothered about the extras you normally get, so could probably cut corners on price to do away with them. The TomTom One is around £200 but I'm looking to spend less than that - can anyone recommend one?

Comments

• Options
    Features you'll never use or not, the TomTom is still the best IMO.
  • Options
    Yes but obviously I'm going to go for a cheaper model which doesn't have the features I wouldn't use on a TomTom.
  • Options
    Get a tomtom. I've got one, and I've used quite a few satnavs, but tomtom has always appeared the easiest to use, and clearest navigation wise
  • Options
    Sorry to sound a bit narky but could you read what I put in my post please?

I said I didn't want to pay the price of a TomTom! :banghead: :D
  • Options
    Ah, well it's worth the extra monies.. I dunno much about the cheap ones. Friend had a 120 quid garmin thing, but it was a pile of cack.
  • Options
    I bought my Navman off E-Bay for £120, i think it's in the sale at Halfords too. It does the job and re-directs me if i miss the turn.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I wouldn't bother unless you're a delivery driver, courier or spend a lot of time driving round London.
    Maps are good enough.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I wouldn't bother unless you're a delivery driver, courier or spend a lot of time driving round London.
    Maps are good enough.

but satnavs are fun!
  • Options
    I couldn't work without my satnav. I'm a terrible map reader and i travel all over the midlands teaching.
  • Options
    Suppose it saves people reading a map the wrong way etc etc. :lol:
  • Options
    Sorry to sound a bit narky but could you read what I put in my post please?

I said I didn't want to pay the price of a TomTom! :banghead: :D

While I can understand your point about spending the money on a TomTom, there is a reason why it's top of people's lists.

Besides, you can get one for less than 200 quid now, http://www.easydevices.co.uk/products.asp?partno=1N00.160&model= and TBH, if you insist on spending less than that, I think you will be dissapointed with what you get.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Matteh wrote:
    but satnavs are fun!

For five minutes.
    I had one with a job I had and never used it. It doesn't take long to get skilled at using a map.
    If they cost £30 they'd possibly be worth it. Else they're a waste of money IMO.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Maps are good enough.

Not for when you drive through the South Wales valleys as I do.
  • Options
    Ants wrote: »
    While I can understand your point about spending the money on a TomTom, there is a reason why it's top of people's lists.

Besides, you can get one for less than 200 quid now, http://www.easydevices.co.uk/products.asp?partno=1N00.160&model= and TBH, if you insist on spending less than that, I think you will be dissapointed with what you get.

Thanks, but I won't be getting a TomTom as they're too expensive and as long as the one I get gives me good directions then I won't be disappointed.
  • Options
    Whats the maximum you're prepared to pay then?
  • Options
    I'm looking at £150 tops, but preferably around the £120 mark.
  • Options
    Excellent - they look perfect - thanks :)
  • Options
    I'm looking at £150 tops, but preferably around the £120 mark.

I paid 130 for my tomtom, second hand :P
  • Options
    Excellent - they look perfect - thanks :)

Dont by a medion, Entering a postcode or an address is *really* tedious. I had a customer who really struggled to use his, I ended up just flashing the device to windows CE and just installing the tomtom software :)
  • Options
    Alternatively, if you own a smartphone (Nokia N70 and the like) then you could always buy the TomTom software to put on it for around £100. I'm not sure how good it is from a practical POV, but I'm sure you could look into it and read some reviews.

Just checked and it's £130.
  • Options
    Halfords had a Navman on offer for £99 last time i was in there might be worth checking out, one of our drivers at work has one from Asda for £89 and he says its quality, he had a tomtom before that, so cant be too bad.

Ive used a Garmin one before myself and it were shit, when i was in wales it missed a load of the roads off and said we were on the beach :(