Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Racism in the Big Brother house

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rachael wrote:
    I don't mean to speak for Katrella but just because she didn't pick on the black guy in the house. It doesn't mean that Jade isn't racist. Firstly, Shilpa is Asian and the Jackson guy is black. Secondly it's more of an individual thing.
    Same as it was a lame point when I think it was Ian who said that Jade can't be racist because she's mixed race.

yeah- that was mypoint, was looking at jewellry online but would have said something like that.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Unless you are Spain's football manager or a supporter and the victim is an England football player ;)

Wasn't quite the same though was it. The thing about Henry was a suggestion that Reyes should be better than Henry because he's black, and the monkey chants were only aimed at black players, not much shouted at the white dudes...
  • Options
    The Sun reporting tomorrow that Jade is away to kill herself, apparently.

So they've said evict the evil racist witch on Friday, Goody riddance and a nasty editorial on Saturday, NoTW exclusive that she's sorry today, and tomorrow SHOCK HORROR she wants to kill herself.

"Yes, it's a good day to publish NHS waiting list figures, Goody's in hysterics again!"

The red topped rags will be loving this. Saying all that, I think she knows what she's done now, so it's probably time to leave her be for a bit.
  • Options
    Seeing as no black players had ever previously experienced monkey chants in Spain (and with the exception of Eto'o and maybe one other player, never since that day either) and that the chants, disgusting as they were, were a direct answer to the Aragones polemic, the incident must qualify as 'someone using racist terms without being racist' just as much as the Big Brother antics do.

Now I happen to believe that all such incidents make the author a bit racist, even if they genuinely believe they're only doing to hurt the other person in the most effective way. But I find the double standards rather amusing.
  • Options
    ^^^ doesn't make sense. I'm guessing it's football. hmmn, so arsenal played man u today, wonder who won? dum dee da
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Unless you are Spain's football manager or a supporter and the victim is an England football player ;)

Aragones went beyond insulting Henry, though, didn't he. He specifically said that Reyes should be better than Henry because he is white and Henry is black- that's racist. There's absolutely no other way of looking at it. If he'd just called Henry a black bastard then he may have had a leg to stand on- Ron Atkinson's protestations could be believed, for instance.

As for the monkey chants and the bananas, it wasn't just targeted at one player, it was targeted at all black players in most games for many years. Eto'o and the England players were simply the first to complain about it. It was exactly the same as it was at Chelsea and Millwall 15 years ago- and nobody could claim that wasn't racially-motivated either.
  • Options
    There have been no monkey chants or bananas thrown at black players in Spain until that England game.

And after that England game, there have been incidents on Eto'o and maybe one or two more black players- but not on the dozens of other black players who play in Spain.

Which clearly indicates that there are certain individuals being picked on rather than just anyone from that race.

Which according to your reasoning and that of many others, does not constitute racism in itself but malicious bullying with racist undertones designed to hurt the victim, rather than being an indication of racism by the instigators.

Can't have it both ways. Either everyone who does such things is a racist or nobody is.
  • Options
    Rather a black and white argument (if you excuse the pun). Personally I can accept that Ron Atkinson made a stupid remark rather than deliberately racist, but if Nick Griffin made the same remark its likely to be racist.

Same as I hold Jade's views to be based on stupidity and her personal dislike of someone rather than race, while the Spanish managers remarks were more general racism.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    There have been no monkey chants or bananas thrown at black players in Spain until that England game.

That's not true at all, is it. The black players at certain teams have been complaining about it for years, as has Eto'o. It was a problem for him when he was a nobody at Real.

The Spanish fans' reaction was racism, in the same way that it was racism at Millwall, Chelsea and Cardiff until the mid-90s. It was targeted at colour at those clubs, who have stamped it out, and I think its sad that Marca et al won't admit that they have the same problem in Spain. Aragones was racist- his argument was that Henry, as a black player, is inferior to white players like Reyes.

Atkinson was just stupid, though, as was Goody. The distinction isn't always clear, intent and context are a lot. If Aragones has simply shouted "black bastard" at Henry I'd have probably believed him- what else he said was what showed the racism.
  • Options
    If Spanish fans are racists why don't the immense majority of black players receive abuse?
  • Options
    A lot do- it goes beyond the odd banana thrown at Eto'o.

I don't think all Spanish fans are racist, but to try and claim that there isn't a racism problem at some clubs (Mallorca spring to mind) is a bit ridiculous. I don't think that all Spanish fans are racist any more than I think all Millwall or Chelsea fans are, but those clubs have had a long-standing racism problem which they have solved by condemning it rather than justifying it.

That's the difference- The Sun condemns racist football fans, Marca makes excuses for them. Atkinson was fired for his bozo comments, whereas Aragones was backed for his racism.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    A lot do- it goes beyond the odd banana thrown at Eto'o.

I don't think all Spanish fans are racist, but to try and claim that there isn't a racism problem at some clubs (Mallorca spring to mind) is a bit ridiculous. I don't think that all Spanish fans are racist any more than I think all Millwall or Chelsea fans are, but those clubs have had a long-standing racism problem which they have solved by condemning it rather than justifying it.

That's the difference- The Sun condemns racist football fans, Marca makes excuses for them. Atkinson was fired for his bozo comments, whereas Aragones was backed for his racism.
    It is wrong to say a lot of black players get abuse though. Very few do, and those who do are generally targeted because who they are, not because what they are.

Of course there are racists everywhere, and a racist would take any opportunity given to express his true feelings in relative safety. The taunting of black players is disgraceful, even though many of those who do it claim it's just to wind an individual up. But the general concept that Spain is riddled with racists or that racism is a significant problem in Spain is not true- certainly not any more than in other countries.

If three women are bullying an Indian woman out of bitchiness not racism, then those Spanish fans who taunt one or two individual black players are exactly the same.

I do agree with you about the Spanish press and the FA being lenient twats though.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If three women are bullying an Indian woman out of bitchiness not racism, then those Spanish fans who taunt one or two individual black players are exactly the same.

The difference, though, is that I believe that people like Eto'o are abused because of their colour not because of who they are. Eto'o was abused when he was a nobody too, so it isn't anything to do with his rather acrimonious move to Barca.

With the cretins in the BB house, I get the feeling the colour was just a handy excuse to attack someone they don't like. Especially as Jermaine Jackson wasn't abused too.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    With the cretins in the BB house, I get the feeling the colour was just a handy excuse to attack someone they don't like. Especially as Jermaine Jackson wasn't abused too.

Racism isn't an ideology or a principle. it may come in the guise of that but it isn't, so there's many factors that can determine whether there will be any abuse or not
    Germaine is a man and appears well-respected in the group, he is a harder target than Shilpa. Cowardice. etc. they obviously didn't like her; it was a perk that she was non-white.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Racism isn't an ideology or a principle. it may come in the guise of that but it isn't.

What is it then?

The definition of racism is holding an opinion that someone is inferior to oneself purely because they belong to a different race. It isn't a one-off, you can't love everyone who's of one race and then be racist because you dislike one person.

The evidence is that the "bullies" are nasty and vicious people, and that the "victim" is a stuck-up obnoxious tart. I don't see where race comes into it. Me calling you a cunt doesn't make me hate women.
  • Options
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What is it then?

The definition of racism is holding an opinion that someone is inferior to oneself purely because they belong to a different race. It isn't a one-off, you can't love everyone who's of one race and then be racist because you dislike one person.

The evidence is that the "bullies" are nasty and vicious people, and that the "victim" is a stuck-up obnoxious tart. I don't see where race comes into it. Me calling you a cunt doesn't make me hate women.
    Me calling you an idiot...ah screw it, there's no point ending that sentence, but it was fun.

Who said it's a one-off? Racists hold the BELIEF, yes, you nailed it on the head. This doesn't have to lead to action, it depends on temperament, individual personalities. Shilpa was attacked because she is an Indian woman, whereas J/Germaine is not. I've lost count of the number of times a group of people have been telling a racist joke amongst friends, then stopped when someone of that particular race approaches them. Does this mean they've suddenly changed their views on race relations? No, it means they're scared, or embarrassed, ashamed; it could mean they just don't have the balls to go through with it to a crowd who might take offence.

People who are racist can often have one or two friends or acquaintances from the race they 'hate'. Again we see that it is restricted to BELIEF, and open to hypocrisy. They will say, "Ohhh, so-and-so isn't like the rest of them." Or they might not even acknowledge the factor of race because it contradicts their worldview. The 'evidence', meanwhile, does not point to Shilpa being a stuck-up obnoxious tart; frankly the 'tart' label is ridiculous, you slut, and the bad qualities the girls saw in Shilpa were just tiny glimpses that they blew out of proportion because they were threatened by her. One of the qualities they clearly identified as negative was "being Indian" or "being a foreigner" or "not knowing naffink about ma culture".

They can see this in other people; they can think they're inferior; but they do not have to scream to the world "I HATE ALL NON-WHITES!" for it to be true. It came out because they happened to be bullying a non-white person. If they were not racist, race would not have been a factor in their bullying no matter how much they despised her.
  • Options
    They can see this in other people; they can think they're inferior; but they do not have to scream to the world "I HATE ALL NON-WHITES!" for it to be true. It came out because they happened to be bullying a non-white person. If they were not racist, race would not have been a factor in their bullying no matter how much they despised her.

I thought this summed it up really well.

edit: and I fail to see how Shilpa is a 'tart'. Was it her ankle length skirts that were the deciding factor? Or maybe it was those provocative wooly jumpers she wore?
  • Options
    iwozere wrote:
    If they were not racist, race would not have been a factor in their bullying no matter how much they despised her.

Rubbish.

When you want to hurt someone you attack them using the things that will hurt them the most. Racial abuse normally distresses the victim, so its an excellent tool when you're having a fight. It shows a rather unpleasant mindset, but it doesn't necessarily show a racist mindset.

Germaine Greer reckons this Shilpa person brought a lot of it on herself, deliberately- if she thinks that, its good enough for me.
  • Options
    I do apologize; if Germaine Greer said it, it must be true. But then again she's just a stinking woman. Which in no way means I have anything against women; it's just an excellent tool to implement in this context.

Rubbish right back at ya.
  • Options
    :confused:

wtf?
  • Options
    You do not use racist abuse if you are not racist. It doesn't come into your head to use it. And it doesn't mean you have to spend the rest of your time walking around burning crosses and promoting the BNP; being the sort of Ron Atkinson prick who calls a football player a ****** on air then says it's just playful is enough. Being Michael Richards and going into a big racist rant then blaming it on anger is enough. It's just excuses.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Channel 4 is in hot water again due to fresh racism claims on a different programme:
    Channel 4 has become embroiled in a new race row after complaints about racist comments on reality show Shipwrecked. A contestant made offensive remarks about black people, as well as gay and fat people.

Media watchdog Ofcom said it received 46 complaints about the programme, in which young people compete on two desert islands in the South Pacific.

Public schoolgirl Lucy Buchanan, 18, from York, praised slavery and said she would get a black person to do her "slave work".
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22012007/140/new-tv-race-row-slavery-praised.html
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Meanwhile, Channel 4 is in hot water again due to fresh racism claims on a different programme:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22012007/140/new-tv-race-row-slavery-praised.html

I would say I'm shocked, but if its coming from a public school student ;)
  • Options
    iwozere wrote:
    You do not use racist abuse if you are not racist.

Simplistic nonsense.

I call people cunts all the time, but I'm not a misogynist. It's the same principle.

Anyway, this thread is now officially as boring as Jade Goody (whoever she is).
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I would say I'm shocked, but if its coming from a public school student ;)

And the difference between her making stereotypical comments and yourself is? At least the evidence is that's she changed her mind....
  • Options
    And the difference between her making stereotypical comments and yourself is? At least the evidence is that's she changed her mind....

I was being tongue in cheek perhaps?
  • Options
    That's what they all say, isn't it....
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Especially as Jermaine Jackson wasn't abused too.

This really isn't a valid arguement, Jackson is not the same race as Shetty.
  • Options
    Well if you take into account historical events and the fact that you can choose to be a public schoolboy but not to be born black, I'd say that being prejudiced against black people is a tad more serious than being prejudiced against public school students...