Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's your home town famous for?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    parts of a James Bond (wie Sean Connery) is taking place in Vienna (The Prater).
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    jordy wrote:
    It is indeedy!!!!
    Horrible town, i really hate it!!!
    Grimsby sucks.
    katralla wrote:
    is your 'home town' just the one you spent most of your growing up years in, the one you were born in, where you currently live, or what?
    I went for where I was born and lived all of my childhood. I don't live there anymore but it will always be home to me.
    Hmm. I was born on the edge of Geneva, so that's the UN.

I called Hull home for a long time, that's famous for being an absolute dive.

Now I'd call here home, Walton on Thames, which is not far from Shepperton Studios, and was home to Hepworth Studios, near Brooklands (old car racetrack).

Sadly Walton on Thames itself rings bells with a lot of people for Milly Dowlers murder.
    JsT wrote:
    Grimsby sucks.

It really does. I don't know why anyone would choose to live there if they had a choice.
    Addict wrote:
    My hometown, Enniskillen in Northern Ireland, has quite a view notable people, most of whom went to my school, Portora Roya

Along with two of my uncles (not that you needed to know that). I love Enniskillen :heart: didn't know that was your hometown!
    Eastbourne! :D

Indeedy. Oh and personally, shagging in the bandstand instrument store room, throwing up on the pic 'n' mix stand in the Arndale centre, winning a tea set on prize bingo on the pier with me mum and Sweeny Todds 'BIG knockers' barbers :D
    briggi wrote:
    Along with two of my uncles (not that you needed to know that). I love Enniskillen :heart: didn't know that was your hometown!

Yea! I love Enniskillen. It was a good place to grow up, and I always enjoy going home at Christmas etc. That's cool that you had two uncles who went to Portora! I had the best days of my life there, despite it being all boys! Boys have more fun when they're not acting like cunts to impress girls :p. So do you have relatives in Enniskillen/Fermanagh? You should come visit, I'll happily take you out on the razzle dazzle and show you around all my haunts!
    Addict wrote:
    Yea! I love Enniskillen. It was a good place to grow up, and I always enjoy going home at Christmas etc. That's cool that you had two uncles who went to Portora! I had the best days of my life there, despite it being all boys! Boys have more fun when they're not acting like cunts to impress girls :p. So do you have relatives in Enniskillen/Fermanagh? You should come visit, I'll happily take you out on the razzle dazzle and show you around all my haunts!

Yeah they always say their schooldays were the best, even in the days when I suppose birchings and worse were par for the course! Must've been a canny school though as I will never be able to rave about my all-female Catholic schooling the same way :razz:

But yeah, the pair of 'em live in Clones now, most of the fam headed south or back up Belfast way. Seems more and more like we will be in Fermanagh for the summer though so you can count me in for the razzle dazzle if you're about :thumb:
    briggi wrote:
    Yeah they always say their schooldays were the best, even in the days when I suppose birchings and worse were par for the course! Must've been a canny school though as I will never be able to rave about my all-female Catholic schooling the same way :razz:

But yeah, the pair of 'em live in Clones now, most of the fam headed south or back up Belfast way. Seems more and more like we will be in Fermanagh for the summer though so you can count me in for the razzle dazzle if you're about :thumb:

Oh yea! Skintown is the shit during the summer like! My friend has a speedboat so if the sun shines, we're out creating havoc on the lakes, getting merry and almost killing eachother in inflatable rings! There's no laws about drink-boating see, and I used to work for the boat warden so we get away with alot of our water-based tomfoolery :D. Then we hit the pubs at night, battered, bruised and usually wet! I can hardly wait!
    Addict wrote:
    Oh yea! Skintown is the shit during the summer like! My friend has a speedboat so if the sun shines, we're out creating havoc on the lakes, getting merry and almost killing eachother in inflatable rings! There's no laws about drink-boating see, and I used to work for the boat warden so we get away with alot of our water-based tomfoolery :D. Then we hit the pubs at night, battered, bruised and usually wet! I can hardly wait!

:hyper: THAT sounds like the makings of a fun summer, you lucky thing! At least better than lying in a bush all night battered by 3 litres of White Lightning, that's for sure!*

*not that that's how I have spent my summers thus far, of course :razz:
    briggi wrote:
    :hyper: THAT sounds like the makings of a fun summer, you lucky thing! At least better than lying in a bush all night battered by 3 litres of White Lightning, that's for sure!*

*not that that's how I have spent my summers thus far, of course :razz:

Oh, you'll feel just at home if lying in a bush is up your street. I've woken up in many a ditch in Enniskillen's outskirts not knowing where I am, often confronted by some angry farmer with accusations of trespassing and scaring cows - never :angel:. If I'm on the schemey cider route you'll likely find me with a bottle of Frosty Jacks though. Well, that or the purple nectar Buckfast. I'm such a jakey bastard when I go home... actually I'm just a jakey bastard alot of the time :razz:.
    Addict wrote:
    Oh, you'll feel just at home if lying in a bush is up your street. I've woken up in many a ditch in Enniskillen's outskirts not knowing where I am, often confronted by some angry farmer with accusations of trespassing and scaring cows - never :angel:. If I'm on the schemey cider route you'll likely find me with a bottle of Frosty Jacks though. Well, that or the purple nectar Buckfast. I'm such a jakey bastard when I go home... actually I'm just a jakey bastard alot of the time :razz:.

HA! Are you the man of the Frosty Blacks? I'm sure someone on here [I am positive it was you!] revealed that little wonderpun a while ago... it became my skint-week drink of choice in the interim :D

Oh -- and scaring cows sounds right up my street. Anyone for cow-tipping!?
    im so tired
    briggi wrote:
    HA! Are you the man of the Frosty Blacks? I'm sure someone on here [I am positive it was you!] revealed that little wonderpun a while ago... it became my skint-week drink of choice in the interim :D

Actually, no I don't think so! It might have been z01, as he's a wee cider jake too.

However, I'm not sure if I ever talked about it on here (shame) but couple of years back when times were hard I concocted a fine drink which I named Speedy Jackcurrent. Frosty Jacks, blackcurrent and speed all mixed up together! I'm such a disgrace. :o
    Oh -- and scaring cows sounds right up my street. Anyone for cow-tipping!?

HAHA - don't get me started. I didn't wanna talk about that in case you thought me some meano animal abuser. The cows love it really, it brings a bit of variety into their otherwise mundane existence and keeps them on their toes (kind of).
    Addict wrote:
    Actually, no I don't think so! It might have been z01, as he's a wee cider jake too.

However, I'm not sure if I ever talked about it on here (shame) but couple of years back when times were hard I concocted a fine drink which I named Speedy Jackcurrent. Frosty Jacks, blackcurrent and speed all mixed up together! I'm such a disgrace. :o

Aha, I remember this, too! Tsk, that cannot be good for you... and just imagine the ideas you're giving the kids! :razz: Though perhaps I'm just jealous because no one suggested that fabulous concotion to me in my respective days of whizz and 2-for-a-fiver-cider-from-the-dodgy-offy-that-would-sell-you-its-grandma-for-a-twenty. Damn eh.

HAHA - don't get me started. I didn't wanna talk about that in case you thought me some meano animal abuser. The cows love it really, it brings a bit of variety into their otherwise mundane existence and keeps them on their toes (kind of).

:lol:

Oh well, I was all set to go into some variety of laborious (yet truly fascinating!) animal rights lecture until I remembered that the cows will obviously wreak their revenge on Enniskillen and all its inhabitants one day. Cravendale-style... or something like that.
    Winds. "Windy Wellington"

But more to the point - Lord of The Rings :D
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Indeedy. Oh and personally, shagging in the bandstand instrument store room, throwing up on the pic 'n' mix stand in the Arndale centre, winning a tea set on prize bingo on the pier with me mum and Sweeny Todds 'BIG knockers' barbers :D
    I had 15 years worth of holidays in Pevensey Bay, my grandma used to own a tiny cottage on the seafront. Funnily enough I never associated Eastbourne with old people, but more with the pier, Thayer's Ice Cream Shop and walks on the Downs.
    I had 15 years worth of holidays in Pevensey Bay, my grandma used to own a tiny cottage on the seafront. Funnily enough I never associated Eastbourne with old people, but more with the pier, Thayer's Ice Cream Shop and walks on the Downs.

Haha big up Eastbourne!
    Nah not really a fan of Eastbourne to be honest, much prefer Brighton.
    Brentford -

Known as the main fording point on the River Thames, where Julia Caeser crossed the Thames during his invasion of Britain.

Battles of Brentford.

Brentford Football Club.

Brentford Nylons.

The artist, Turner lived there with his uncle.

Grand Union Canal.

Syon Park.

Great West Road - GlaxoSmithkline Headquarters.

Filming often takes place there...Neverland, few scenes in that and Beatrix Potter.
    My home town is famous for,

Co-op, Gracie Fields, Lisa Stansfield. Oh and that scrubber off Wife Swap who does benefit fraud lol That's all I can think of at the moment.
    Sheppy's Cider :D

And from Wikipedia:

Taunton plays a role in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and is mentioned in The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, Scoop by Evelyn Waugh and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carre. Taunton has also made an appearance in a number of other British comedy series, including Monty Python's Flying Circus, Blackadder, Men Behaving Badly, Vic Reeves Big Night Out, and also The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer.
    Oxford is famous for the University, architecture, um... loads of stuff
    Addict wrote:
    the purple nectar Buckfast.

What is it with Irish people and this shit?! You didn't seem like a total Jakeball when I met you, wtf is going on?! :p
    What is it with Irish people and this shit?! You didn't seem like a total Jakeball when I met you, wtf is going on?! :p

I'm not sure. When I first came to Edinburgh, I realised that they sold the stuff in *every* corner shop in the city! So after hearing all the nortorious stories I decided to immerse myself in the culture and before long, my friends and I had established Buckfast Wednesdays. So I get to be a total Jake at least once a week, and it helps me save some mula for the weekend. You probably didn't meet me on a Wednesday, and I'm really quite respectable, on the exterior at least. :razz:
    Addict wrote:
    I'm not sure. When I first came to Edinburgh, I realised that they sold the stuff in *every* corner shop in the city!
    Nooooooooo. That's not a good reason to drink the stuff. I managed to spend 4 years in Dundee and I am proud to say I never touched a drop.
    Addict wrote:

I'm not sure. When I first came to Edinburgh, I realised that they sold the stuff in *every* corner shop in the city! So after hearing all the nortorious stories I decided to immerse myself in the culture and before long, my friends and I had established Buckfast Wednesdays. So I get to be a total Jake at least once a week, and it helps me save some mula for the weekend. You probably didn't meet me on a Wednesday, and I'm really quite respectable, on the exterior at least. :razz:

As long as you've never went into a shop and bought the Jsakey Holy Trinity; "Wan boattle eh Buckie, wan boattle eh Ginger and 10 Mayfair" then I might just forgive you.
    Ballerina wrote:
    and Lord Byron on a slightly larger scale - well, he lived here - don't think he was from here though

He was from Aberdeen i'm afraid. His step family i think were the Newstead bit, although he was buried at Newstead.

Can't believe you didn't say Robin Hood though, Nottinghamshires biggest money earner ;)
    Well I am from a small town called Forfar and its famous for its Forfar Bridies yum
    Bolton is famous for...errr..I think it was some kind of milltown :p I remember from primary school that Samuel Crompton who invented the Spinning Mule lived in Bolton. We went and visited his house and everything.

but famous people include Peter Kay (come on now, everybody knows hes from Bolton)

Vernon Kay
    Sara Cox
    Danny Jones from McFly
    Ian McKellen

thats probably about it.

all that plus Amir Khan

heh, my high school gets a mention on Wikipedia..

"Harper Green School is also located in Bolton. Harper Green is home to the Alan Ball Sports Hall, as well as the Peter Kay Drama Complex. Peter Kay also filmed a music video at Harper Green with the Scottish band Texas."

and my actual place of residence gets this

"In early 2005 the town was observed on a police chase television series in a broadcast in the US where local UK police engaged and chased down the main street a stolen car being driven at high speed."