Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Piercings, nipple, ear

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, does anyone have any info on nipple piercings. Am thinking about either geting my nipple or the little bit in the middle of my ear (tragus I think??)... Anyone have any information. I think I might for for the Tragus piercing, does anyone know how long this takes to heal??
And are there any risks to nipple piercings? should there be problems with breastfeeding later on etc??

At the moment, more interested in tragus, may get it done on saturday. but would like to know more... Thanks!!!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've had my tragus pierced for a few years now. It took about 6 months to heal fully.

It's wicked and it's my favourite out of all my body mods. So :yippe: go for it.
    I've had my tragus pierced for a few years now. It took about 6 months to heal fully.

It's wicked and it's my favourite out of all my body mods. So :yippe: go for it.

Awesome, but can you change the piercing or take it out before then?? Did it hurt?? I read somwhere that the tragus doesnt have any nerve endings so shouldn't always hurt, but the amount of pain ranges from person to person, although a friend just got it done an she said it hurt like a bitch...
    Had my tragus done now for a few years. Mine healed really quickly, as have all my piercings, actually. Go for it. :thumb:
    Awesome, but can you change the piercing or take it out before then?? Did it hurt?? I read somwhere that the tragus doesnt have any nerve endings so shouldn't always hurt, but the amount of pain ranges from person to person, although a friend just got it done an she said it hurt like a bitch...
    The tragus does have nerve endings - after all, it's still attached to your skin! (scrape your nail along your tragus - you feel it, right?)
    Mine hurt - kinda stung while the needle was going through, and then made a kind of popping sound as it went through the last layer of skin. It was a toughie, but I'd do it again without a doubt!

I didn't change the jewellery for the first 6 months, but it depends on how fast you heal as we all heal at different rates.
    "Although the tragus itself has no nerve endings, some piercees describe the procedure as feeling like a "punch in the head." The application of the piercee's chosen jewelry can amplify the pain due to the enclosed space in which the piercer works." - Wikipedia... lol
    "A pierced tragus can take anywhere from two months to one year to fully heal." - Wikipedia.. again

I guess I'll go for it.. Any other helpful info?? hehe.. I've got three lobe piercings in each ear, they all went well.. is it much different? just takes longer to heal i guess?? although my third holes took a while. Is it much more painful?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    To be honest I think they're the two of the most unnatractive piercings you can get. Just my opinion of course.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    To be honest I think they're the two of the most unnatractive piercings you can get. Just my opinion of course.
    Thats fair enough. Everyone to their own opinion

Btw, I didn't realise you could get your Uvula (dangly bit which dangles from the top between your tonsils) pierced!! Thats kinda strange, I mean, the tongue piercing is inside the mouth and can be seen, but you can't really see an Uvula piercing... strange.:chin:
    Cartilage does take longer to heal because it's a type of gristle. It's also more succeptible to granulomas because it's cartilage and because it's easily knocked/banged.

Try not to sleep on it, or answer the phone with a fresh tragus piercing, because it'll probably hurt. I know I forgot on a few occasions and answered the phone with a squeal!!

It can take up to a year to heal, wikipedia's right about that. Not too sure about it saying the tragus has no nerve endings - I'll ask my mum about that, she's a nurse hehe.
    Cartilage does take longer to heal because it's a type of gristle. It's also more succeptible to granulomas because it's cartilage and because it's easily knocked/banged.

Try not to sleep on it, or answer the phone with a fresh tragus piercing, because it'll probably hurt. I know I forgot on a few occasions and answered the phone with a squeal!!

It can take up to a year to heal, wikipedia's right about that. Not too sure about it saying the tragus has no nerve endings - I'll ask my mum about that, she's a nurse hehe.

Granulomas?? *Types into wikipedia..*
    Dont understand.... :S im guessing its some kind of nfection or um growth or something???
    A granuloma is a 'lump' of scar tissue that can form on any piercing (mainly cartilage) usually as a result of a bump or knock, or they can just appear for no reason. They just look like skin coloured lumps.

They need to be treated with an anti-fungal treatment like Fucidin (fucidic acid) which is prescription only. (Unless you buy it over the counter in a foreign country like I do! haha)....
    Double post :S
    I did it!!!! :D
    It didn't hurt much at all, to be honest i think it hurt less than a normal lobe piercing.. I love it hehe.. :)
    Thanks. and ill look into the whole nipple piercing thing. I dont want it to damage my breast feeding abilities hehe.
    I've got my nipple pierced, it hurt quite a lot but thats half the fun.

TBH I wasn't really worried about my best feeding abilities :D
    A nipple piercing doesn't have any effect on breast feeding that I am aware of, I wouldn't worry about that.

Nipple piercing didn't hurt me in any way that could be described as "bad and it probably won't hurt you either if you've any rational scale of pain. It's no walk in the park but it's not going to kill you. If you can't take a bit of pain that feels like a rod of metal pushing through your nipple then don't bother getting it done :thumb:
    Quick question regarding piercings- how the fuck do you remove ball closure rings? Had my anti-tragus done a while ago and want to change the ring to something more subtle but can't get the bastard out. Any tips?
    Dobbin wrote:
    Quick question regarding piercings- how the fuck do you remove ball closure rings? Had my anti-tragus done a while ago and want to change the ring to something more subtle but can't get the bastard out. Any tips?

I'd like to know this too! I can't get the rings in my cartilege at the top of my ear out. Tricky fuckers they are, doesnt help that you cant get a proper grip on it either.

Piercings are so fiddly and annoying sometimes. I love all mine but they're bugging me. hmm.
    Same. I've got a small blister like thing thats come up around it too. I had one once on my nose piercing but I can't remember how I got rid of it. I want to take the thing out and give it a good clean because it's probably an infection. I love my piercings too but don't they get annoying at times
    Can't get the damn earphone in my ear!!!!!! crap, i never thought about that... Maybe different jewellry will be easier
    Dobbin wrote:
    Same. I've got a small blister like thing thats come up around it too. I had one once on my nose piercing but I can't remember how I got rid of it. I want to take the thing out and give it a good clean because it's probably an infection. I love my piercings too but don't they get annoying at times

I had like a small red lump around my eyebrow piercing while it was healing, really pissed me off but then just as it healed, the lump went. I just kept cleaning it with really strong salt water.

As for taking out those ball rings, I can't fucking get mine out of my eyebrow. I want to change it to a bar but I don't like fiddling around with it too much incase I pull too hard and rip it out of my eyebrow lol! I think I'm just gonna go to the place where I had it pierced and pay them like a tenner or whatever they charge to change it for me.
    I had both my tragus and my nipple done for a while, i've taken them both out now. Tragus hurt considerably less than nipple. I did actually ask my piercing person about the breast-feeding thing and she said it was fine.

I can't remember how long the tragus took to heal, but the one piece of advice i'd give you is to get it done on the side you don't sleep on!