Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Replacement Laptop Keys

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a bit of a habit where I pick at the keys of my laptop and they often "pop" off. Well, looks like I've fucked it up and one of the keys won't click back on because one side of the plastic gripper has snapped.

Is there anywhere I can buy a replacement or get it replaced?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    do you want us to imagine what make and model laptop you have?

If have such an expensive habit why don't you buy an external keyboard and plug it in.
    You could steal the plastic hinge from a lesser key, like scroll lock or whatever, but most keyboards have different hinges, so it may be easier to take the keyboard off altogether, look at the part code beneath, and get a new keyboard (pricey though)
    Chances are you'll have to buy a complete new keyboard assembly. Manufacturers don't like selling keycaps separately, as dodgy companies can buy foreign laptops and convert them to UK spec easily and cheaply, leading to warranty problems through through the grey market :).

Pick your nose next time, it'll be cheaper.
    think you`d have to buy a whole new kepboard, not just one key

you're best getting an external USB one, much cheaper
    No need to be so short DG :|

It's a HP Pavillion dv6000. Even if someone knows a reputable place to buy a replacement keyboard?
    noog wrote:
    You could steal the plastic hinge from a lesser key, like scroll lock or whatever, but most keyboards have different hinges, so it may be easier to take the keyboard off altogether, look at the part code beneath, and get a new keyboard (pricey though)
    It isn't the hinges that have snapped, it's the little slot on the actual key
    Fashion one from blue tac:thumb:
    Jazza wrote:
    It isn't the hinges that have snapped, it's the little slot on the actual key

Apologies, Maybe you could just swap the entire key over. if you touch-type it shoulden't be too much trouble remembering which key is which.

edit: http://cgi.ebay.com/431414-001-KEYBOARD-88KEY-HP-PAVILION-DV6000_W0QQitemZ230079508046QQihZ013QQcategoryZ31534QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Might be able to get that shipped over to you if you PM the seller
    noog wrote:
    Apologies, Maybe you could just swap the entire key over. if you touch-type it shoulden't be too much trouble remembering which key is which.

edit: http://cgi.ebay.com/431414-001-KEYBOARD-88KEY-HP-PAVILION-DV6000_W0QQitemZ230079508046QQihZ013QQcategoryZ31534QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Might be able to get that shipped over to you if you PM the seller
    Thanks for the link. I just had a thought.Maybe if I contacted HP because my laptop is still under warranty? Otherwise I am just going to buy that one (I noticed the Enter key isn't the same, but it looks like it will fit.

Cheers :D
    Yeah, the enter key is a different shape in the states, ring HP first but they'll probably want between 60 and 120 for the new keyboard
    I checked the HP parts site and they didn't have the keyboard so I have messaged the seller. It's either that or I steal one from the display model at Comet :|
    Jazza wrote:
    I just had a thought.Maybe if I contacted HP because my laptop is still under warranty?

I doubt the warranty would apply to a keyboard that you broke yourself - warranties are there to replace faulty manufacturing issues. What a funny habit you have though ... you would really have to dig down and quite hard to lift a laptop key. :)
    Jazza wrote:
    I checked the HP parts site and they didn't have the keyboard so I have messaged the seller. It's either that or I steal one from the display model at Comet :|

haha , vandal :p
    Matteh wrote:
    haha , vandal :p
    Hahahaha I know. Knowing my luck though I'd get caught :|

Teagan - The button is on the bottom so it was quite easy - unfortunately.

Maybe I should sue :chin:
    I have had keys pop out before but managed to put them back in lol

My laptop keys have faded so on 50% of them they are blank, doesnt bother me because i don't need to look as I type but if anyone else uses the keyboard they do get rather annoyed. Wonder if anyone has ever seen a white permanant marker lol
    ashlee wrote:

My laptop keys have faded so on 50% of them they are blank

haha yeah, almost all of my keys are blank, since im on this thing most of the time haha

uhh i dunno about getting new keys, i never bothered.