Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Racism in the Big Brother house

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah I was surprised at Jo.

That Shilpa is by the far the hottest piece of ass around.
    Yes she is very pretty.....her and Jade do look a little related though, they have the same nose!
    I think both of them are good looking but Shilpa always looks good.
    I think Jade is buzzing, I just hate her and her attitude makes her even worse.

mmm shilpa.:naughty:

If I wasn't stuck in work I'd go and get laid lol :D
    i dont think its racist, i think its just bullying, which yes, is bad enough but just because the victim is indian doesn't automaticaly make it racism, surely
    i dont think its racist, i think its just bullying, which yes, is bad enough but just because the victim is indian doesn't automaticaly make it racism, surely

Are you aware of what was said?

At the very least it's blind ignorance. They don't like her and have packed up on her to make her feel small (bulllying) and they're using the fact that she's Indian to insult her. If they were all mates and she got called Poppadom then it'd obviously be a term of endearment, but they openly admit they hate her so only the most dim witted cretin in the country couldn't see how that could've been perceived.

Like I've said, it's the bullying that irks me most.

Jade said last night "If I was racist I wouldn't have eaten her chicken curry", which says it all really.
    no i dont know what was said, but from what i read in the paper and heard in school, it just seems like bullying
    no i dont know what was said,

So how can you comment then?
    im just going on what i heard in school and in the paper
    :banghead:

I see. :rolleyes:
    we were talking about it yesterday in school and that was the general opinion, and usualy the tabloids escalate things to make them sound terrible, so what did jade goody say?

youvr gotten me interested now lol
    If you read the thread (or a paper) you can find out.

:lol:

The more I think about it the more it probably is slight racism, heightened by the general bitchiness.

I'd definately wouldn't say no to Shilpa. :thumb:
    Well looks like Jades comments were racist, she admitted it in an Interview for the News of the World.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/jadevideo1.shtml
    Makoto wrote:
    Well looks like Jades comments were racist, she admitted it in an Interview for the News of the World.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/jadevideo1.shtml
    How much did she get paid for that then? Is it the one where she's crying, with a big News of the World logo behind her?
    I feel bad for her. I do believe it was racism. I dont understand it when people agree that what she said was racist..yet she isn't a racist? I'm sure she doesn't go out and burn Indian takeaways or whatever but she definitely showed her ignorence which is at the core of racism.
    Rachael wrote:
    I feel bad for her. I do believe it was racism. I dont understand it when people agree that what she said was racist..yet she isn't a racist? I'm sure she doesn't go out and burn Indian takeaways or whatever but she definitely showed her ignorence which is at the core of racism.

She has admitted what she said WAS racist though.

@I'm With Stupid: They say she didn't get paid for the interview.
    Makoto wrote:
    She has admitted what she said WAS racist though.

@I'm With Stupid: They say she didn't get paid for the interview.

I know. Yet she isn't racist herself?
    Rachael wrote:
    I know. Yet she isn't racist herself?

I don't believe that she is a racist as in I don't believe she genuinely despises people due to the colour of their skin or their nationality.
    What happened was an example of her ignorance and lack of self control. Shilpa annoyed the hell out of Jade, and Jade being the badly educated girl (if I can even call her that) that she is, just lost it and started shouting racist abuse at her because she couldn't think of anything else to say or any other way to deal with it.
    pill 'ed wrote:
    I don't believe that she is a racist as in I don't believe she genuinely despises people due to the colour of their skin or their nationality.
    What happened was an example of her ignorance and lack of self control. Shilpa annoyed the hell out of Jade, and Jade being the badly educated girl (if I can even call her that) that she is, just lost it and started shouting racist abuse at her because she couldn't think of anything else to say or any other way to deal with it.

Hmm. I think just because she isn't as forward about it, her stereotypical views certainly came into play. You can be clueless about someone else's culture without resorting to racist abuse. I think she showed a side of her that she didnt want us to see. Same for Jo and Danielle.
    Rachael wrote:
    Hmm. I think just because she isn't as forward about it, her stereotypical views certainly came into play. You can be clueless about someone else's culture without resorting to racist abuse. I think she showed a side of her that she didnt want us to see. Same for Jo and Danielle.

Well yeah I suppose it's a combination of what I said before and slight racist views.
    Yeah, racism isn't necessarily actively disliking someone because they are of a particular race (though that is racism in it's most extreme form). It is simply pre-judging someone based on their race, which Jade clearly did. Now you can forgive someone if they do this in an inquisitive way (for example, asking her whether she eats with her hands because she's Indian might lack tact, and have hints of racist undertones, but there's no malice there and a genuine interest to learn). Just making the statement (often in anger) that she's Indian and therefore must eat with her hands, or eat poppodoms all the time, is racist.
    Ignorance is bliss

The bullying is something that society on the whole does not wish to acknowledge nor challenge and so the behaviour thus becomes acceptable and where ignorance of it is bred and spread. It is then reduced to 'female catiness' which excuses it and makes it innoccent fun when it is very hurtful and nasty behaviour that many people in the outside world commit suicide when it is rampant in schools and the work place.

Celebreties can afford the luxury however of a wealthy lifestyle that protects and cushions them from ever having to deal with it in the outside world and so their own ignorance is massaged by the way they can live their lives without the threat or fear of losing a job for instance. But what is damaging about their public display of bullying behaviour is that to everyone on the outside world, it justifies or makes it appear accaptable and/or fashionable and especially to the least educated and more susceptible of the human race inclined to be like themselves.

Denial is the worst thing of all and because it allows people to assumme that it can be just a bit of fun etc etc and Shilpa should really have spoken quite candidly about her experiences for how she really felt them and not how it might impact upon another person's career. For jade, she is genuinely naive, but knew that her behaviour was abusive in all of it's subtelties and she felt threatened by the attention that Shilpa occassionally manged to get. Her own dislking of herself had reflected itself in Shilpa's presence and what had caused her to act the way she had. Millions of people have had terrible home lives growing up including myself and far worse than Jade's life and yet in my poverty and intelligence, I sought to be educated by why people behave the way they do and why Jade cannot be excused on these grounds - she has the resources and means necessary as a magazine columnist and celebrity to get herself some therapy and english classes.

For viewers who are less cultured and who do not know anything or very little about people dynamics and what bullying is for example, they so easily put this behaviour down to anything but what it really is and this is and why C4 is really at serious fault for launching such a reality television series such as this. It perpetuates the myth that it is okay to be ignorant and does little to help or prevent social crisis and dysfunction in the world that matters. If Jade and her followers were not celebreties, then who knows of what kind of treatment they would have pushed Shilpa into isolation and depression? - I know what being bullied does and it starts off small and into something a lot lot bigger and nastier and why people do not understand why it is thus wrong.

This is not contrived or manipulated viewing and big brother genuinely does take bullying and racism seriously and why Jade was evicted by them and not the people voting her out which were not enough compared to Shilpa's votes. I think that it is positive in that something like this has been highlighted on national television, but for big brother to also publicly deny what was pretty obvious to so many, is very disturbing to say the least and undermines the intelligence of those who know what was going on.
    Great first post :)
    Rachael wrote:

I think that's tosh, to be quite honest.

You can be abusive without being racist. I think she probably was. If you're angry with someone and you want to get back at them, you attack them in the most hurtful way you can. Shilpa's race is an important distinction, and an easy way to attack her. Racial abuse is often hurtful for the victim too.

To say she is racist because she used racist words is lazy and clueless, IMHO. It does show a certain mindset that she would resort to such words, but I think you can abuse someone you hate using foul racist language without being foul or racist towards everyone.

You can be malicious towards someone using racist terms without being racist. Racism would be actively disliking someone simply because of their race- in this case, from what I've heard, the abuse stems from a dislike of one particular stuck-up and selfish victim, rather than a dislike of Indians.

She wasn't racist towards the other black people in the house, after all, just the one who was getting on her wick.
    I don't agree. If you dislike a person, you usually pick the faults rather than their place of birth or the colour of their skin. For example, I dislike a black guy around my area because he is arrogant and rude. Thankfully I can refrain from calling him a bastard ******. I just call him an arrogant cock. The colour of his skin shouldn't even come into it.

You agree that Jade and co said racist things? Why so defensive and determined for them not to be labelled as racist? Racism comes in many forms. Not all of it is as extreme as gunning down black people. Personally I think that ignorence is a shit excuse. Yes they are ignorent but not every ignorent person makes comments like that.
    Kermit wrote:

She wasn't racist towards the other black people in the house, after all, just the one who was getting on her wick.

^^^ is complete nonesense.
    katralla wrote:
    ^^^ is complete nonesense.

Care to elaborate?
    I don't mean to speak for Katrella but just because she didn't pick on the black guy in the house. It doesn't mean that Jade isn't racist. Firstly, Shilpa is Asian and the Jackson guy is black. Secondly it's more of an individual thing.
    Same as it was a lame point when I think it was Ian who said that Jade can't be racist because she's mixed race.
    Kermit wrote:
    You can be malicious towards someone using racist terms without being racist.
    Unless you are Spain's football manager or a supporter and the victim is an England football player ;)