Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's your home town famous for?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    pah1986 wrote:
    Hurrah noone is from Wolverhampton so I get to sing it's praises:

It was the first town in the UK with automated traffic lights.
    Famous peeps include Slade, Roy Wizzard and one hit wonder Babylon Zoo (spaceman....I always wanted you to be.. a space maaaaannnnn etc).
    Mervyn King (the Head of the Bank of England, guy who decides on the interest rates) and Roy Wizzard went to my school.
    Plus Wolves FC was one of the twelve founders of the Football League.

Exciting, eh? :p
    My dad went to Wolverhampton Polytechnic back in the late 60's and lived right next to the football ground :D
    football club
    race riots
    council scandals
    benedictine consumption

thats about it
    Roundabouts and concrete cows. The Bowl and Xscape Snowdome. American grid roads and the shopping centre (the centre:mk) :chin: Lovely.
    Also the fact that it was the first artificial town in the UK, and thus very significant in terms of sociolinguistics as it is a great example of koineisation. My lecturer gets very excited about Milton Keynes, I think she must be one of the few who do!
    my hometown is famous for its docks, used to be really busy in the olden days coz of the market and farming n shit.

also Boston Stump is one of the tallest churches in england

and the pilgrim fathers travelled through boston

and Julian Jocian (dunno if thats the right spelling but its the footballer bloke) is from boston

and whatshisface came and play for the football team, cant remember his name though
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    My lecturer gets very excited about Milton Keynes, I think she must be one of the few who do!

She must be a loser.

I've been twice. Its an annoying dump. The instructions on the map to get where we needed to go were superb. Go straight ahead at the first 15 roundabouts. Then turn left at the sixtenth. We all lost count and got lost. :crazyeyes
    It's not too far from where I live at home and we go to the Centre MK occasionally, but I just end up going in the same shops there are in Banbury! Heh.

My lecturer is American :p
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomansland_%28Wiltshire%29
    Famous for fuck all.

Florence Nightingale was buried in Wellow though, my neighbouring village.
    Weekender Offender 
    lea_uk wrote:
    My dad went to Wolverhampton Polytechnic back in the late 60's and lived right next to the football ground :D

Now Wolverhampton University and not much better...
    My dad also lived next to the Molineux (football ground) occasionally, when the park benches were already full :lol:
    Well, my hometown is famous for its breweries and Marmite/Bovril .... as Wikipedia so politely puts it, this gives the place its 'distinctive smell'!!

The not very famous football team held Manchester United to a draw at home last year but then were knocked out of the FA Cup when they went up to Old Trafford.

Branston Pickle was also invented in this place.

Olivia Murphy (England Netball Captain) is also from here ... and I used to play against her.

Riveting, eh? Any guesses where I'm from then?
    pah1986 wrote:
    Now Wolverhampton University and not much better...
    My dad also lived next to the Molineux (football ground) occasionally, when the park benches were already full :lol:

I think you should spread the humour filled story :shocking:
    Loopi wrote:
    Well, my hometown is famous for its breweries and Marmite/Bovril .... as Wikipedia so politely puts it, this gives the place its 'distinctive smell'!!

The not very famous football team held Manchester United to a draw at home last year but then were knocked out of the FA Cup when they went up to Old Trafford.

Branston Pickle was also invented in this place.

Olivia Murphy (England Netball Captain) is also from here ... and I used to play against her.

Riveting, eh? Any guesses where I'm from then?

Burton Albion - which must mean Burton-on-Trent?
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    koe_182 wrote:
    council scandals
    ...and Bingo scandals! :lol:
    JsT wrote:
    Burton Albion - which must mean Burton-on-Trent?
    Yup. I thought that the footie reference might give it away. It's not exactly on the map for anything else although I suppose you'll find the name of the place on a number of lager cans.
    My town, penrith apart from browntown, was mentioned and 'visited' in Withnail and I, the film said it was penrith but it wasn't but they did film in bampton (few miles away) and focuses on a bus stop and phone box and i have used both!!!!

apartly Wiliam wordworths Mum was born and live here, mary the Wife of Pm Harold Wilson, and Charlie hunnam (Pete Dunham inGreen Street) lived here too!!!
    hey not bad at all!!!
    I'm bored so will do Huddersfield as well:

Famous people include, Harold Wilson PM, Zoe Lucker, Gordon Kaye (from Allo Allo!) and Roy Castle! Famous for being the biggest town in the UK as well as covering large amounts of countryside within the area. Most famous landmarks are the Victoria Tower at Castle Hill above Huddersfield and the train station ('a stately home with trains in it' some well known old architecture bloke said). Huddersfield also has the longest canal tunnel in the world and the third largest rail tunnel in Britain apparently.

All fascinating stuff....
    I will have to go through that tunnel every day next year :(
    the steelworks, kevin keegan lived here (he played for utd too), the chuckle brothers live around here (scary fuckers if you ask me!), stephen fretwell went to my school, john wesley is from around here too (founder of the wesleyan church). erm...
    I will have to go through that tunnel every day next year :(
    Only if your off to Manchester :| The tunnel goes under the Pennines!
    PHEW!!! Although that other tunnel is bad enough (which is what I thought you meant :p)

ETA I have just remembered what the town near my home is famous for - broadcasting the World Service :thumb: and there was a MacDonald's advert that featured it and everyone thought they meant Coventry or something.
    The Medway area of Kent...

Kelly Brook was born in Rochester.
    Rik Waller in Gillingham
    and
    Lee from Blue in Chatham

HURRAH
    Bolton is famous for...errr..I think it was some kind of milltown :p I remember from primary school that Samuel Crompton who invented the Spinning Mule lived in Bolton. We went and visited his house and everything.

but famous people include Peter Kay (come on now, everybody knows hes from Bolton)

Vernon Kay
    Sara Cox
    Danny Jones from McFly
    Ian McKellen

thats probably about it.
    JsT wrote:
    Is it a bit Grim?

It is indeedy!!!!
    Horrible town, i really hate it!!!
    Loopi wrote:
    Yup. I thought that the footie reference might give it away. It's not exactly on the map for anything else although I suppose you'll find the name of the place on a number of lager cans.

I lived in Burton for 8 years. I actually really like it there. Where abouts do u live?
    Violence, random shouting and football hooligans. And Jimmy Saville.
    jordy wrote:
    I lived in Burton for 8 years. I actually really like it there. Where abouts do u live?
    I lived in Stapenhill for the majority of my life. I escaped at the age of 18 though and went off to Dundee to study - the furthest North that I could go and still do the course that I wanted!! There's not that much wrong with Burton except for the fact that everyone knows everyone and, in general, people seem to lack ambition. They're happy with their lives in the slightly backward little town!

ETA: Whereabouts did you live?
    Loopi wrote:
    I lived in Stapenhill for the majority of my life. I escaped at the age of 18 though and went off to Dundee to study - the furthest North that I could go and still do the course that I wanted!! There's not that much wrong with Burton except for the fact that everyone knows everyone and, in general, people seem to lack ambition. They're happy with their lives in the slightly backward little town!

ETA: Whereabouts did you live?
    I lived in crappy Newhall for a bit (near swadlincote), then moved to Hilton (near mickleover). It was so much nicer there. Now i'm in Hull, (for my sins!!!)
    Will's already done Braintree :grump:. So I'll do my Shropshire-ness instead :D.

Bridgnorth: Severn Valley Railway, Cliff Railway ( :heart: ),
    Clun: Castle, and...er...they did a show of Double Act (the Jaqueline Wilson book) which was filmed there. Yeh. Loads of my friends were in it :D. Also, Offa's Dyke. Yeh.

And the generalness of Ironbridge and stuff like that. Yeh. And Robert Plant lived in Kidderminster. Although technically Kidderminster is in Worcestershire :p.
    is your 'home town' just the one you spent most of your growing up years in, the one you were born in, where you currently live, or what?
    My hometown, Enniskillen in Northern Ireland, has quite a view notable people, most of whom went to my school, Portora Royal:

Oscar Wilde - playwright.
    Samuel Beckett - noble prize for literature.
    Neil Hannon (Divine Comedy).
    Henry Francis Lyte (hymn writer - Abide With Me).

Apart from that, the IRA put my town on the map, when they decided to bomb a Remembrance Day memorial in 1987, without warning, killing 11 civilians. I was two years old, and just before the bomb my mum had wheeled me away from the cenotaph in my buggy, because I was crying, and the silence was coming up. Pretty disturbing. My town was a popular target for the IRA over the years, but nothing compared to that.