Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's your home town famous for?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For Clitheroe Castle I guess....shit I know
    Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmm......Emlyn Hughes......that's it. Oh, and me. :yippe:

Oh I forgot. Remember that fat bloke that used to sing at the end of Harry Enfield? Him.
    lea_uk wrote:
    Some of the scenes in Billy Elliot were filmed near by..... The Charlton brothers are from here so are Jackie Milburn and Steve Harmison.
    At one time we were the biggest mining town/village in the world.

:lol: A bloke I met on Friday night was immensely proud of being from the biggest pit village in Europe!

According to Wikipedia the village I grew up in is most noted for having its own McDonalds drive-thru... but everyone who lives there knows it is most famous as being where Denise Robertson of This Morning fame lives. She used to throw pool parties when I was a Guide [obviously she is a sexual deviant] and her house was the first place I ever got drunk. What a bad role model :razz:

Newcastle is famous for loads of people, my personal favourites being Mary Astell and The Animals.

We also have the best buskers up here, notably Apu from Peru who inspired the, er, "acts" on The Fast Show's Jazz Club -- but don't let that put you off. They are immense, and every summer night without fail they appear at the Monument. There is also a bloke who sings George Formby songs (with actions) and who will serenade you down the road whether you like that sort of thing or not! :thumb:
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Where i was born - Martello towers, carpet gardens, tennis tournament, old people.
    Eastbourne! :D
    Haha, as soon as I read Browntown I knew you were from Penrith. I've had many an interesting night at Blues.

My village is most famous for having a dead hunter buried there. D'ye ken John Peel with his coat so grey...

i wouldn't honestly travel to penrith for a nite out, as u'll either end up in hospital or mentally traumatised esp. in Blues!!!!!!!!

see my town has an appaleing reputation, but it isnt always that bad, except blues!
    Oldest licensced airport in the Uk. Famous people born here include Leo Sayer and Nicholas Van Hoogstraten and loads people I've never heard of.

And the Holmbush centre has its own page on Wikipedia. :eek:
    Paul Weller... that's it :D
    Nicholas Van Hoogstraten

Haha what a wanker. I can see the golden dome of his un-finished palace from my bedroom window!

Urm my town was in the news for getting fucked over by the floods a few years ago, other than that nothing. Although the recent Fireworks factory explosion was in a village about 10 mins drive down the road and the next nearest town in the opposite direction (about 15 mins drive) is the birthplace of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (writer of Sherlock Holmes).
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Haha what a wanker. I can see the golden dome of his un-finished palace from my bedroom window
    Wanker doesnt come close. Leo Sayer is bad enough, never mind him.
    Sir John Hall grew up in the same area of Ashington as my grandma.
    My home town.
    Cardiff - lots exciting things.

Aylesbury - Ducks, A London Bomber and John Otway. :thumb:
    Hurrah noone is from Wolverhampton so I get to sing it's praises:

It was the first town in the UK with automated traffic lights.
    Famous peeps include Slade, Roy Wizzard and one hit wonder Babylon Zoo (spaceman....I always wanted you to be.. a space maaaaannnnn etc).
    Mervyn King (the Head of the Bank of England, guy who decides on the interest rates) and Roy Wizzard went to my school.
    Plus Wolves FC was one of the twelve founders of the Football League.

Exciting, eh? :p
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    absolutely nothing to my knowledge, but someone told me that kate thornton is from the Nam.

Edit: Just found this on wikipedia. Not heard of many, but I am now very proud I am also from the same town as the man who invented the pay toilet (whilst taking a break from his full time job of magician!)
    Notable people from Cheltenham include:

Duncan Gordon Boyes, VC
    Dorothea Beale, former headmistress of Cheltenham Ladies' College
    Jaz Coleman, lead singer of Killing Joke
    Steve Cotterill, Ex-manager of Cheltenham Town, manager of Championship club Burnley FC
    Sir George Dowty, founder of Dowty Rotol
    Eddie 'the Eagle' Edwards, Olympic ski-jumper
    James Elroy Flecker, poet
    Arthur 'Bomber' Harris, commander of Bomber Command
    Robert Hardy, actor
    Gustav Holst, composer
    Charles Irving, MP during the 1980s
    Martin Jarvis, actor
    Edward Jenner, the inventor of vaccination
    Brian Jones, one of the Rolling Stones
    Nigel Jones, Baron Jones of Cheltenham, and former MP for Cheltenham
    John Nevil Maskelyne, magician and inventor of the pay toilet
    William Murray, creator of the Ladybird Books Key Words Reading Scheme
    Richard O'Brien, of the Rocky Horror Show
    Richard Pate, founder of Pate's Grammar School
    Zara Phillips, British royal, equestrian medal winner
    Ralph Richardson, actor
    John Simpson, lexicographer
    Kate Thornton, journalist and television presenter
    Transit Cop, Indie band
    Edward Adrian Wilson, explorer who joined Scott on his ill-fated Antarctic Expedition
    The Crooked Spire.

Over heard a group of people going past on the train once:
    First person: 'Oh look, that church spires all bent.'
    Second person: 'I wonder if they know"?'

:lol:
    Lu_C wrote:
    The Crooked Spire.

Chesterfield :p - what does the guy with the horse and cart do? I saw him last saturday when i went shopping.

I was born at the royal hospital :D
    Wagner Farm Arboretum<-- according to wiki, thats all we got going for us. and ive never heard of it. and its not even finished, they say.

how lame is this place :(
    Ballerina wrote:
    Chesterfield :p - what does the guy with the horse and cart do? I saw him last saturday when i went shopping.

I've never seen him do anything... it's only just struck me as odd now you've said that.

I believe our outdoor market is famous for some reason... although I'm not sure why. It's pretty shit really.
    Lu_C wrote:
    I've never seen him do anything... it's only just struck me as odd now you've said that.

I believe our outdoor market is famous for some reason... although I'm not sure why. It's pretty shit really.
    I saw him in the outdoor market then again on the road. He didn't have anything on the cart :chin:
    No he never does! :lol:

The horse always looks very subdued though. Feel a bit sorry for it, having to endure the chavs with their stinkbombs :rolleyes:
    I hope it has a nice field to enjoy when it's off duty.
    Lu_C wrote:
    No he never does! :lol:

The horse always looks very subdued though. Feel a bit sorry for it, having to endure the chavs with their stinkbombs :rolleyes:
    I hope it has a nice field to enjoy when it's off duty.
    aaw, yeah the car park was crawling with chavs when i went last saturday. It was the first time i'd been shopping in chesterfield aswell, apart from dapets to get dance shoes.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Tony Dorigo, Former Leeds United & England Defender
    What a legend! :D
    pah1986 wrote:
    It was the first town in the UK with automated traffic lights.
    Sick of hearing about that now :p

Anyway, Leeds is the 55th biggest city in Europe, isnt that cool. We've been voted by Conde Nast Traveller magazine Readers' Awards as the "UK's favourite city" and "Visitor City of the Year" by The Good Britain Guide. We've had Kaiser Chiefs, The Music and Corinne Bailey Rae from Leeds and Chumbawamba :D and we have Leeds festival and brilliant nightlife. Famous people born in and around the Leeds area include; famous actor Peter O'Toole, BBC Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles, singer Corinne Bailey Rae, former Spice Girl Mel B, comedian Vic Reeves, model Nell McAndrew and famous TV personalities Sir Jimmy Savile and Jeremy Paxman. Playwright Alan Bennett was also born in Leeds. Ernie Wise from Morecambe and Wise, Avid Merrion, Paul Hunter, Brian Deane :lol:, Ellery Hanley and Jamie Peacock. And don't forget John Craven :D
    Lu_C wrote:
    The Crooked Spire.

Haha I must admit I looked twice when I first saw it! Its always good to see it when on the train cause your nearly back in Yorkshire!
    Roundabouts and concrete cows. The Bowl and Xscape Snowdome. American grid roads and the shopping centre (the centre:mk) :chin: Lovely.
    JsT wrote:
    Haha I must admit I looked twice when I first saw it! Its always good to see it when on the train cause your nearly back in Yorkshire!
    Chesterfield station is quite nice - i've always used it when traveling long distance. Seeing as it's actually closer to me than Derby or Nottingham station, and only has 2 platforms so is alot easier to use.

Sorry - pointless lol.
    My current residence was the setting for a 70's sitcom (namely, Citizen Smith).

My home town was the location from which, in 1708, the speed of sound was first accurately measured (by a man named William Derham, who installed special doors in the spire of the church specifically to have somewhere high enough to take his measurements from).
    My hometown is famous for fish! tee hee!
    Ballerina wrote:
    Chesterfield station is quite nice - i've always used it when traveling long distance. Seeing as it's actually closer to me than Derby or Nottingham station, and only has 2 platforms so is alot easier to use.

Sorry - pointless lol.

lol... Yeah but have you seen the new statue??? It looks rude from certain angles... makes me laugh.

Oh yeah... that's another thing we're famous for George Stephenson died and was burried here...
    Lu_C wrote:
    lol... Yeah but have you seen the new statue??? It looks rude from certain angles... makes me laugh.

Oh yeah... that's another thing we're famous for George Stephenson died and was burried here...
    My town is also famous for the new cheap Sports World outlet at the bottom of my road. You might now where i live now if you didn't already lol.
    I've never paid much attention to the statue, will have a look next time.
    jordy wrote:
    My hometown is famous for fish! tee hee!
    Is it a bit Grim?
    My town will probably also be building the next generation of nuclear weapons. :yippe: Or at least the submarines to put them on.