Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

dyslexia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just wondering about dyslexia.
1. how do you get tested? - has anyone done it and whats it like/involve?
2. given that nearly everything is done nowadays on computer and its all spell checked, would there really be a need for anyone to be tested?
your answers and opinions please. ta. :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1. For dyslexia it is normally through an educational psychologist. It will be sorted out by your school.
    2. I think it depends on how severe the dyslexia is and it isn't also just about spelling, things like memory or word order can be difficult.

There are softwares called Dragonspeak, Readable and Read and Write which are beneficial to people with learning difficulty. Dragonspeak works with a mic so you can speak and it writes what you say down. Readable changes the colours of IE and word (there's a common overlap with Irlen and dyslexia) and Read and Right reads back to you what you've written.

I don't think that saying "hey, use spellcheck" will help, especially as that individual may one day go in to the world of work and be writing Emails with appauling spelling. Learner support has really helped my confidence, it would help others too.
    especially as that individual may one day go in to the world of work and be writing Emails with appauling spelling. Learner support has really helped my confidence, it would help others too.
    most e mail clients have a spell checker. myn does.
    what is learner support?
    otter wrote:
    just wondering about dyslexia.
    1. how do you get tested? - has anyone done it and whats it like/involve?
    2. given that nearly everything is done nowadays on computer and its all spell checked, would there really be a need for anyone to be tested?
    your answers and opinions please. ta. :)
    1. It's usually done through a school and educational psych (as has already been mentioned). Other people will pay some dyslexia assocation or other to do an official test and most people come out of it with a statement of SEN. I'm not certain whether it's a case of most people have dyslexia to a certain extent (like autism) or whether they're taking your money so they feel that they have to give you something! NB. This isn't meant to be offensive - I'm just explaining how it's viewed within the schools that I've taught at.
    2. It's worth being tested because then you can start to do something about it. Some people will give it as a reason for their poor spelling, but it affects so much more than that.
    otter wrote:
    most e mail clients have a spell checker. myn does.
    what is learner support?
    It is a support for people with learning difficulties and people with disabilities.

Dyslexia is not just about about spelling either. Memory, sequencing difficulties, difficulty reading and sometimes understanding can also be issues.