Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tuition fees rising again

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've just read on the bbc that it's likely that uni fees are going to go up again, but are fixed until 2010. Now, if i go to uni it'll probably be in 2009, would that mean that i would have to pay the new higher fee when it comes in or is it for students starting from 2010 onwards?
I'm just a bit worried it's going to stop me from going.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think when I started uni, we just escaped the higher fees by one year, and were told we could carry on with the lower prices. Those who took a gap year had the higher fees. So I imagine if higher fees come into force 2010 and you go into uni 2009, you'll pay the lower prices throughout your education.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    The case last time was if you were in before the fees' went up then you paid the same through to the end, except if you took a gap year or dropped a year - that was the case in da Hud anyway!
    Cunts. Always looking for ways to exploit people. I'm lucky enough to pay nothing to the scumbags! Happy days!
    I'm lucky enough to pay nothing to the scumbags! Happy days!

Good point! I think I forget to mention Tony Blair and his posse pay my tuition fees for me, as well as paying my school fees so I have absolutely no idea what my fees are at the moment. All I know is I don't pay 'em. :cool:
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    pah1986 wrote:
    Good point! I think I forget to mention Tony Blair and his posse pay my tuition fees for me, as well as paying my school fees so I have absolutely no idea what my fees are at the moment. All I know is I don't pay 'em. :cool:
    Same here. Least Blair is doing something for me eh!?
    I'd be interested to know how many 1st year drop outs there are these days?

When I was at Uni there was no fee's - but there were a lot of time waster students who were only there cos their mummy wanted them to go to uni .. I expect the fact people are now having to pay for uni has at least gotten rid of those time wasters?
    There are still quite a few that drop out even today. I know some people that have dropped out purely because they miss home despite the massive financial cost it has. But for me it definately made me think twice about what I wanted to do at university and afterwards
    Well they'll have to raise the grant again won't they? I'm from a low income family so i'll get the grants and all that. But if my mums partner comes to live with us before i go, then i don't think i'd get as much help, if any. I dunno what kind of wage he's on. If he does then i won't be able to afford £6000+ a year. Don't they realise that soon no one will be coming to uni apart from rich kids?
    But if i do go in 2009, looks like i'll get away with it. It's still ticked me off though - why is it so expensive in england to go to uni?
    The £3000 tuition fees they brought in in 2006 only have to be paid after you graduate. Presumably if you drop out you have to pay back however much you've used, but I don't know for sure. I started uni before 2006 and my tuition fees have to be paid up front, which means that right now I'm financially worse off than people who started this year, but I'll end with less debt once I graduate.

I don't think it's right that graduates are forced to start their working life with so much debt, but it's at least better than having to pay out huge amounts of money up front while they're still studying. And as the government seem to think it's necessary to keep raising tuition fees, I think delaying payment of tuition fees is the best thing they can do to ensure as many people as possible are able to afford to go to university.
    Ballerina wrote:
    why is it so expensive in england to go to uni?

If you look at how much it costs to send your child to college in the US, you wouldn't say that! And over there it costs even more if you want to go to one of the top universities, which is something I'm really glad we've avoided doing so far in the UK.
    people easily forget that universities are businesses first and foremost.
    a rise in tuition fees sucks, of course it does when we are the ones paying, but they used to go up every year anyway. the incentive is it does make you think seriously before you go whether the financial aspect of going to university is really worth it; a lot of people just go off to university because all their friends do or because they are stuck for trying to figure out what else to do. if people are investing £9k over 3 years, the people who are there should really want to be there and i think from that side its beneficial. also the addition of grants has made it overall less of a cost to go to university, if you can claim them, than it was with just tuition fees over just over £1k/yr and loans. go figure. :)
    I'd be interested to know how many 1st year drop outs there are these days?

When I was at Uni there was no fee's - but there were a lot of time waster students who were only there cos their mummy wanted them to go to uni .. I expect the fact people are now having to pay for uni has at least gotten rid of those time wasters?

Unfortunately not, there are quite a few idiots on my course that just sit at the back and make "funny" comments. I suspect many of them get the grants anyway and see it as a cheap way of playing around (or will spend it all and worry about it later), whereas I actually want to be there, yet get £0.00 help. I hope they grow up soon, it's really irritating.
    :yes: If you start when the fees are lower, then you will continue to pay that throughtout your time at uni - unless they clearly state it somewhere that for your 2nd year onwards it will cost £****. Which I doubt they will