Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Don't know how much more I can take

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm fucking severly pissed off.

I'm fed up of applying for endless jobs and not even hearing back from most of them.

Got two rejections from those two interviews I had last week. I thought I'd done really well too. :banghead:

I hate my cocking body for fucking up when I most needed to be healthy and get a job... No one seems to understand that even though I was ill and couldn't work when I left school that I'd be an OK employee.

It fucking pisses me off whenever I go into shops and get served by moody teenagers who don't even look you in the eye and you can just tell they'd rather be anywhere but here. I know I could do so much better than that, but no one wants to give me the chance!

I've been on jobseekers for months now and if I don't get a job soon I'll be put on this new deal thingy... I don't want emloyers to have to be bribed to take me on!

Sorry, I supose there's not much point to this thread... I'm just really upset at the moment.

And woopity doo dar... I'm signing on this afternoon... Yet again. :impissed:

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck shit and bollocks with bells on.

I'm so scared of getting really depressed again, and this really isn't helping. My doctor is absolutly useless too.

OK... rant over. :crying:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know how you feel with the whole job hunting thing. It's not easy out there. What qualifications do you have? Have you tried agencies? That's how I first got my foot in the door. Most of them are lying, money grabbing, self important bastards, but if you sign up with enough of them, one of them will find you something...
    I know how you feel with the whole job hunting thing. It's not easy out there. What qualifications do you have? Have you tried agencies? That's how I first got my foot in the door. Most of them are lying, money grabbing, self important bastards, but if you sign up with enough of them, one of them will find you something...

Only GCSEs... But since I got them 3 years ago they seem to be void now. :impissed: Everyone cares more about what experience you have, and I hardly have any.

I'll think about the agency idea.
    Lu_C wrote:
    Only GCSEs... But since I got them 3 years ago they seem to be void now. :impissed: Everyone cares more about what experience you have, and I hardly have any.

I'll think about the agency idea.

Yeah that's the hardest part - getting a start somewhere. That's why the agency route might be a good idea. Some of them do want experience, but some are aimed specifically at younger people and students that don't have alot, if any experience. You may aswell give it a go seeing as you've tried everything else. It really doesn't matter what sort of thing they might find you for now - just getting those first few months experience on the CV will be the start of climbing to bigger and better things...
    i know how you feel

i finished uni last year with a degree and i`m STILL looking for a job

it sucks :(

chin up though, something will come along for ya! x
    What kind of job are you looking for?

Maybe there are some IT courses you could do to boost your CV a bit. They shouldn't cost anything and even if they do, you'll probably get money off or them for free anyway because of the JSA. I did City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in IT for free through the local college. It was Government funded for everyone.
    Lu_C wrote:
    I'm fucking severly pissed off.

I'm fed up of applying for endless jobs and not even hearing back from most of them.

Got two rejections from those two interviews I had last week. I thought I'd done really well too. :banghead:

As someone who's recently been sitting on the other side of the interviewing table, I can tell you that - unfortunately in your case - you can do really well and still not get the job. Not any consolation really, but true. Unfortunately it doesn't just come down to you and the company, normally there's more than one other person trying for the same job. You can only do your best.
    Have you tried looking into getting some bar work in your local pub, or something similar. Perhaps if you could get a job there even if its a couple of shifts a week it might raise your employability. You could then get a full time job and probably keep the bar job going and have extra cash! You would learn valuable skills such as cash handling skills, people skills, working as part of a team and these are all things that a prospective employer is looking for. It would also give you a new social network! I think if you work below 16 hours a week you are still entitled to some sort of benefit payment as well, although you would obviously need to check that!

Good luck i'm sure something will come along soon.
    Thanks for all the replies.

Mist - Ta.. I know it was probably just bad luck and they got a load of applicants who had more experience and whatnot. It just begins to feel like no one will ever employ me because I'll always be the least experienced one :rolleyes: . I'm stuck in a vicious circle here

Pink_Angel... I've got a bit of work experience from working in a shop every now and then - which is I think the thing that made enough difference for me to get the interviews I got. And yeah... You can still claim JSA if you've got a p/t job but looking for full-time work; but if you're earning more than the JSA they don't pay you, just pay your NI and stuff. I may look into getting a more regualar p/t job volunteering somewhere or something.

I'm only really looking for retail work... possibly office work but I find it a bit boring. Don't really like the idea of pubs cos of the hours and smoke.

Anyway... feeling a bit more upbeat today... I've got a burst of positive energy from somewhere after I had a good self-pittying cry. :lol:

Back to square one.
    Onwards and upwards.
    Is it possible for you to get a job of some sort that you're interested in and training at the same time so that you can get a better job in that same field?
    Sofie wrote:
    Is it possible for you to get a job of some sort that you're interested in and training at the same time so that you can get a better job in that same field?

Maybe... But I like being awkward so me being me I don't really have any ambition career-wise.

I was going to go on a training thing that teaches you everything about working in an office.... But then I did a volunteer placement in an office and didn't enjoy it.

I occasionally look at what's on offer though. Thanks for the suggestion.
    i've got all my jobs from agencies! just accept what you can get at first because you need the experience. sign up to loads and im sure you'll have some luck. especially in january, loads of jobs are going!
    My boyfriend got his job/apprentiship by temping. He said the work could be shit at times but he gained alot of experience and grew up alot while he was doing it.
    Even if it feels like you aren't getting anywhere, you gotta remember that everyone started somewhere so there'll be something out there for you :)
    Have you considered the Leisure Industry?

I know that most sites across the country are pretty desperate and you don't need qualifications for a lot of the stuff like 'Receptionist' or 'Customer Advisor' and in a way it's similar to retail work. Often they don't advertise the jobs very well, but it's worth a looksie on the Leisure Jobs website (can't remember the url but google will find it) or even better walking into the various pools/leisure centres round you and asking if they have any jobs.

If you can get anything, or even a regular volunteering slot in an Oxfam shop or something similar then it would show that you are reliable and have some experience, it doesn't necessarily have to be paid experience.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Lu_C wrote:
    I'm only really looking for retail work... possibly office work but I find it a bit boring. Don't really like the idea of pubs cos of the hours and smoke.

Please don't take this the wrong way because I mean it as constructive advice but if you are really so down about not having a job then just apply for any and everything. Once you have something then you'll have some money coming in, you'll have some experience and you can take time to find a job you really like (or at least in a sector you are interested in).

Secondly agencies are a good idea - they can help you with interview technique, they should know the areas where your most likely to get a job and if they are half decent they will give you feedback.

Gaps in a CV where you have been out of work always look bad - its better to get a job in an area you don't like as a temporary measure than to keep hoping that something will turn up in an area you do like.
    Thanks for all the advice and supportive comments everyone.

I'll google Leisure jobs and have a look Scary Monster.

& ta Jon; I know you're right about taking anything I can get... It's just I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks (which my doctor isn't being very helpful about although I'm trying to get it sorted)... and sometimes it gets in the way of having the confidence to just go for anything.
    I suffer from that too - i worked in a pub/restaurant waitressing for a bit. I really enjoyed it. Good for people skills surprisingly.

Seeing as you live in chesterfield - are there jobs in any of the shops in town?
    Ballerina wrote:
    I suffer from that too - i worked in a pub/restaurant waitressing for a bit. I really enjoyed it. Good for people skills surprisingly.

Seeing as you live in chesterfield - are there jobs in any of the shops in town?

I've been applying for any that come up, and writing sepculative letters to everywhere. I do a couple of hours here and there in one shop which is owned by a friends husband... But they can't afford to give me regualar work. It's still good for the CV though.
    Guess you've found it by now but http://www.leisurejobs.com/ is the site. Go through each of the categories as what they put where is rather random (including pool/lifeguard, there was a receptionist job in my area in there the other day :rolleyes: ).