Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

does my friend have bulimia? what do i do??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
someone told me today that they suspected that another friend was bulimic.

the girl is pretty skinny, but always has been, i don't think she eats much and she exercises a lot.

we were clubbing the other week and she collapsed and then almost fainted again later. she said she didn't eat anything b4 she came out but im not sure if this was a 1 off.

i don't know what to do.

i can't just ask her "are you bulimic" because the girl who told me might just have got the wrong end of the stick and she will probably be really offended. but then even if she was she would probably deny it.

i want to help but don't know what to do. im thinking about asking a teacher for some advice.

what do u think? please reply!

Comments

• Options
    Just because someone colapses doesn't mean they have an eating disoreder. Plenty of people don't eat sometimes and then feel faint. Bulimia is incredibly difficult to spot as most people stay at an average weight, but unless you have any real signs - keep out of it. It doesn't sound like she has healthy eating habbits, but then not many people do.
    She may be going through a stage of 'faddy dieting' like some do. You may get other people telling you to tell a teacher etc. but personally I'd say leave it alone.
  • Options
    Perhaps.
    But do keep a close eye on her.

Miss Q is right not to jump to conclusions, but bulimia is so easy to miss until it is too late - then with the benefit of hindsight it makes sense.

Anyway, look out for your friend, and talk to her if you get any more clues about an eating disorder. It's better for all concerned to nip these things in the bud.
  • Options
    As Miss Q said you don't want to jump to the wrong conclusion and alienate your friend. Also if you ask her straight out she would most likely deny it anyway. Just stick around and be there for her just in case she wants to talk.
  • Options
    Bulimics tend to stay at a normal weight, as they binge then vomit...the vomit doesnt get rid of all the food taken in. If shes skinny and doesnt eat then, if anything, she is likely to be anorexic.

But dont jump to conclusions, just keep an eye on her and make sure she is ok. Some people are just naturally slender.