Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Healthy alternative to sugar

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I heard that sweetners are really bad for you.

Any ideas because tea tastes ming without sugar.

Need t know asap as I gotta go to co-op.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    eat sugar.
    sugar is natural
    all your so-called healthy alternatives are just a bunch of chemicals.
    Splenda is the least nasty one, its what i have. Either that or honey.
    I second the Splenda. I've used splenda for about 4 years now and I wouldn't go back to using sugar :)
    I don't use sugar, it's easier that way.
    Tea shouldn't really taste ming without sugar... seems stupid but perhaps try descaling your kettle?
    I've never used sugar in tea. What tea do you use? Yorkshire tea is the best btw!
    otter wrote:
    eat sugar.
    sugar is natural
    all your so-called healthy alternatives are just a bunch of chemicals.

<pedant>
    Sugar is also a chemical
    </pedant>

sucrose.gif
    Show-off...
    Only if you consider being able to use Google as somehow beyond you. :p
    I use honey or barley syrup. I do like sugar in my tea though, I tend to go for brown sugar rather than white.
    i use Demerara sugar in my coffee which is a brown unrefined cane sugar. its got to be better than the processed white stuff anyway.

i really don't like the way sweetners taste actually.
    Well, those sugar-substitutes make you really hungry.

I tested it out. I measured my blood sugar level, and all I did was putting a piece of those white sweetener pills on my tongue let it dissolve and measuered again.

My blood sugar level dropped! The body thinks it gets sugar, releases insuline into the blood, and sugar is catabolised, which results into hunger.

Ever wondered why this McDonalds shit doesn't fill you up? You can eat and eat and eat, but after an hour, when your blood sugar level gets normal again you are sick?

Sugar is natural and vitally and essentially important for your body. If you have a too high intake, cut it down... eat less sweets etc, but don't look for substitutes.
    dr_carter wrote:
    Tea shouldn't really taste ming without sugar

Yet it does.

I can't stand tea without at least 2 teaspoons of sugar. I've tried without and it's just foul... really can't drink more than one sip. And it's weird cos I don't usually have much of a sweet-tooth for anything else. Don't even eat chocolate very much.

I've just cut down on tea instead of the sugar. Only having one cup in the morning for that kick start. :thumb:
    Have you tried fructose? It's a sugar found naturally in fruit and extracted for general use eg tea, cooking, cereal etc. Tate and Lyle have a range of fruit sugars. They're naturally sweeter than cane sugar so you use less and thus consume lesscalories. Plus there isn't that artificial taste of sweetners.
    If you really really can't drink tea without sugar, and you don't want the sugar, then don't drink tea. Tea doesn't taste ming without sugar but if you're not used to the taste it's different- wean yourself from sugar, you'll appreciate it. Try buying a better brand of tea.

Sugar isn't that bad for you, if taken in moderation. White sugar, as it is very refined, is not good for you, but using demerara or muscavado sugar is better as it isn't refined.

I don't take sugar in tea (its revolting) but if I want sugar in coffee I usually use muscavado- it isn't refined and is therefore much better for you.

A non-refined brown sugar is infinitely better for you than the aspartame in most sweeteners. Splenda won't make you fat but will rot your stomach lining and give you cancer...nice. Anyone who uses Splenda is a moron. Health needs to be measured in more than calories.
    Well I haven't been drinking tea for long and I first started drinking it in Nepal, where it's very sweet. I currently drink Clipper Fairtrade tea.

I think I should wean myself off sugar, or anything sweet if I want to lose weight. I have gotten myself used to eating healthy vegetarian/vegan foods (although still cannot stand vegan cheese) and also nuts, which I used to hate. So surely I can get used to non sweet tea, or at least try honey.
    Honey in tea is so much nicer than sugar.

I don't normally drink it at all, but when I've got a sore throat, there's nowt better than a cuppa with a nice big spoon of honey in :yum:
    stupid double post :grump:
    i put honey and sugar in my tea :yum: