Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

being evicted

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm about 3 months behind on my rent and I've resigned myself to leaving anyway.

I can't find my tennancy agreement so I'm not sure on the exact date I moved in but the rent is due on the 3rd of each month.

I have a private landlord and I'm waiting for him to take action to remove me, but I was wondering when he can do this fromand what the procedure is. I understand he needs to apply to a court to do this and someone told me if he gives me notice then the earliest I have to be out is 4 weeks from when my rent is next due.

Basically I need to extend the amount of time I have here for as long as possible to find somewhere else. My landlord isn't the understanding sort who will give me a bit more time, he'll try and get me out at the earliest opportunity.

I'm not sure what sort of tennancy I have but it's probably the most common type - I'm renting a 2 bedroomed house from a non 'professional' landlord.

Anyone know the score?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you, I'll try that number.
    On the assumption I do have the tennancy you describe, and I'm in Wales, what then?
    if its a private landlord cant he pretty much say "get out of my house" whenever if you havent paid up your side of the deal? its sucky, but i'd think that would be the case
    ^

No. They have to go through the correct procedure.
    See here http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-4128.cfm
    koe_182 wrote:
    if its a private landlord cant he pretty much say "get out of my house" whenever if you havent paid up your side of the deal? its sucky, but i'd think that would be the case

I thought the same when my landlord tried to do that to me, but I soon punked that bitch with Section 33 of the Housing Act Scotland which says he's to give me like a months notice at least.

I'd be amazed if there wasn't something similar for Wales.