Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Beckham- £128m

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Addict wrote:
    Are you still denying that alot of England fans hate Man United, and that this hatred may have led to an over the top reaction e.g. deaths threats, and children cancer jibes.

I think most football fans in the world hate the smug Cockney cunts over in Salford, it isn't just England fans. Beckham came in for stick from West Ham fans for being the traitor that he is, and he got stick from Leeds and Man City and the Scousers because of who he played for.

But at the same time Crouch, Gerrard and Carragher regularly get booed at Old Trafford England matches, so its not just a one-way street.

I know Man Utd fans love to play the victim card so much, whilst amusingly attacking the far more dignified Scousers for the same thing. And I know Man Utd fans are the biggest hypocrites going (though complaining about the Munich songs sung by Leeds and Liverpool whilst singing songs about the VP fire disaster shows great multi-tasking abilities, I must say). And I know Man Utd fans love to complain about Cantona's abuser whilst conveniently forgetting the fact they brutally murdered a Palace fan not six months later (what a nice rational response that was). But really, you're making yourself look like a nobhead by trying to say its all a one-way street.

Mind, Man Utd fans are the best in the business at taking the moral high ground whilst being nothing more than violent, murdering, abusive filth.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    You don't see France fans burning effigies of Zidane, and wishing cancer on his kids. In fact he was given a hero's welcome in his country, after being sent off in a fucking final!
    When Beckham's led England to a World and European title, and two other World Cup finals, then he might be forgiven a moment of insanity. When fans feel that a player isn't contributing enough to the team, they will boo him, as England fans have in the past with Heskey, Crouch, James, Phil Neville and Hargreaves (not something I agree with, just demonstrating that it's no way exclusive to Man Utd). When said player then does something that is utterly stupid, like getting sent off for no reason, then he'll be even more disliked. I don't understand why certain Man Utd fans think their a vendetta against them for people booing Keane after he ended another players career, or booing Cantona after he kicked a fan, or criticising Ferdinand for missing a drugs test, when every other clubs fans seem to join in with the condemnation when it's their own player (see Newcastle fans with the Bowyer/Dyer incident, Man City fans with the Thatcher and Barton incidents, Birmingham with the Pennant incident). I've never heard any of those fans whinge that everyone hates them when their players come under criticism. And I'll ask you again, if it really is a hatred of Man Utd, then why are players like Giggs, Scholes, Solskjaer, Carrick, Van der Saar and Schmeichel admired so much? Maybe you'll realise that it's not the club they play for but their actions on or off the pitch that make fans dislike certain Man Utd player, in the same way as they dislike any player who acts similarly.
  • Options
    All I said was that the reaction against Beckham was exascerbated by the fact he played for Man United. He fucked up, and deserved some criticism, but he didn't deserve that reaction, do you people not agree?

I think you're misunderstanding me, if you think I believe the only reason these players are booed is because they play for Man United. I just believe it was a confounding factor, certainly in Beckham's case.

Do any of you actually believe that these lovely England fans are totally impartial and would treat United players like they would a player from any other team? Please answer me if you actually really believe this, even whilst taking into account their vocal hatred of Man United? If you believe this, then I think you're being pretty ignorant or naive.

The redtops licked their lips when they saw what they could do with the Beckham and Ronaldo thing. It's just so easy to stir up hatred against United players, should they do anything to upset the English.

IWS, the players you have mentioned haven't done anything to upset anyone yet, so the death threats and cancer jibes should stay away for now. But just for the record, England fans have given Giggs hassle all his career for, shock horror, being Welsh and actually playing for his own country over the master race. And Scholes got loads of criticism from the public, when he wasn't performing, despite the fact he was being played out of position to accomodate the inferior Lampard (and still didn't do a bad job, but apparently he was just shit and past it). As a result England lost the best midfielder they have, with little chance of a return. I'm not inferring that any of that is due to them being United players, but they're not free from unwarranted criticism from the English.
  • Options
    luvmeright wrote:
    why give him a new contract and all that money when hes nearly at the end of his career. i dont think he deserves that much money just for playin football its stupid im not too fond of the beckhams neway lol

They're not paying him for his lack of talent or husky voice.

They're paying him for his name and fame... and the Mrs that comes with him

It's all about marketing, product placement, etc. Plus the free press that follows Beckham - £20 million a year, that's no all that different from what a top US actor will make.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Mind, Man Utd fans are the best in the business at taking the moral high ground whilst being nothing more than violent, murdering, abusive filth.

What a load of bollocks. Have i murdered anyone? No. Have I sang songs about fires? No. Have I beaten any fans up? No. So I can criticise whoever the fuck I want, without being a hypocrite, and with my conscience clear. The English fans who sang those cancer jibes at Beckham are filth and the equally disgusting actions from a small number of United fans doesn't affect my right to say that. I'm not being in any way hypocritical so stop talking bollocks. That's almost like saying that a white person can't criticise racism against black people, because of the small number of fellow white people that are racist towards blacks. Fucking hypocrites. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yeah it's increased because they play for a top club, not because they play for Utd. Same as Drogba or Pires were for diving (diving not exactly being the biggest offence a player commits nowadays). I don't agree with death threats or anything of the sort, but to suggest only Man Utd players get this criticism is ridiculous. Giggs gets a bit of stick for playing for Wales and Scholes got stick for player poorly for England, but no more than Lampard is getting currently, or David James or David Seaman got in the past. And I don't see any other players getting this. Oh God, it's an anti Man City campaign. Oh no, it's about the same as the criticism Keane got for doing a similar thing. Though the same website has this, for all you Man Utd fans who think that anything your players do is blown out of all proportion. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Mind, Man Utd fans are the best in the business at taking the moral high ground whilst being nothing more than violent, murdering, abusive filth....blah blah blah, i'm foaming at the mouth

:rolleyes: *yawn*
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    All I said was that the reaction against Beckham was exascerbated by the fact he played for Man United. He fucked up, and deserved some criticism, but he didn't deserve that reaction, do you people not agree?

The reaction was ridiculous and completely undeserved. He was a dickhead but hey, so have loads of other players. Hoddle was the one who deserved the real abuse IMHO.

It probably was exacerbated by the fact that he was a Man Utd player, but not for the reasons you think. Many clubs' fans have an intense rivalry with United- Leeds, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Man City, West Ham- that other clubs don't have. Nobody really gives a toss about Everton or Man City.

At the same time, though, most Man Utd players don't get heckled, and that's because they are professionals who are (generally) honest. Giggs doesn't get much flack, nor does Scholes (when he scored his 35-yard volley against us at VP I stood and applauded), nor did Schmeichel or Pallister or McClair. Bruce only gets abuse now for being a traitorous manager.
    What a load of bollocks. Have i murdered anyone? No. Have I sang songs about fires? No. Have I beaten any fans up? No. So I can criticise whoever the fuck I want, without being a hypocrite, and with my conscience clear.

And how many Liverpool fans do you think damaged the Old Trafford toilet block? Three? So why all the abuse about "all the dirty scousers", hm?

I note that you continue to refuse to condemn your fellow supporters who do sexually assault stewards, who do beat up teenage girls, who do sing songs about fires, who do murder Palace fans 'cause Cantona couldn't keep his temper. Even the Leeds fanzines condemn the Munich songs, on the other hand.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The reaction was ridiculous and completely undeserved. He was a dickhead but hey, so have loads of other players. Hoddle was the one who deserved the real abuse IMHO.

It probably was exacerbated by the fact that he was a Man Utd player, but not for the reasons you think. Many clubs' fans have an intense rivalry with United- Leeds, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Man City, West Ham- that other clubs don't have. Nobody really gives a toss about Everton or Man City.

Thank you, that's all I've been saying! And the reason you've just given is the same fucking one I made. Alot of England fans (a major section of whom are made up out of the clubs you mentioned) hate Man United, and that's why the reaction was exacerbated. You're essentially agreeing with what I've said in this thread for fuck sake!
    And how many Liverpool fans do you think damaged the Old Trafford toilet block? Three? So why all the abuse about "all the dirty scousers", hm?

I never tarred them all with the same brush, like you do Man United fans. You effectively labelled me hypocritical, murdering, violent, abusive scum :rolleyes: . Obviously the scousers who throw shit and attack ambulances are filth, but I wouldn't direct the same sentiments at all the poor bastards. I'll direct you to my quote from a recent thread on the matter: While I accept that they didn't rob or urinate on dead, alot of their fans are vile human beings. I can deal with it because every club has its wankers but the annoying thing about the self-pity city fans is that alot of their behaviour goes largely unreported these days. See the difference.
    I note that you continue to refuse to condemn your fellow supporters who do sexually assault stewards, who do beat up teenage girls, who do sing songs about fires, who do murder Palace fans 'cause Cantona couldn't keep his temper. Even the Leeds fanzines condemn the Munich songs, on the other hand.

Selective reading? Once again, I'll have to direct you to a quote from me in this fucking thread: The English fans who sang those cancer jibes at Beckham are filth and the equally disgusting actions from a small number of United fans doesn't affect my right to say that. What more do you want? Not that I should have to clarify my position on fans' behaviour in every fucking thread, but I did, so the least you could do is actually fucking read it. Pathetic.
  • Options
    Yeah it's increased because they play for a top club, not because they play for Utd. Same as Drogba or Pires were for diving (diving not exactly being the biggest offence a player commits nowadays). I don't agree with death threats or anything of the sort, but to suggest only Man Utd players get this criticism is ridiculous. Giggs gets a bit of stick for playing for Wales and Scholes got stick for player poorly for England, but no more than Lampard is getting currently, or David James or David Seaman got in the past. And I don't see any other players getting this. Oh God, it's an anti Man City campaign. Oh no, it's about the same as the criticism Keane got for doing a similar thing. Though the same website has this, for all you Man Utd fans who think that anything your players do is blown out of all proportion. :rolleyes:

A t-shirt website? :yeees: I'm sure if I so wished I could find examples of old t-shirts for Keane and Cantona to be banned for life, but why bother? It hardly constitutes an argument. Please tell me where I said only Man United players get criticism. All I've said was that the reaction against Beckham was exascerbated because he played for Man United, due to the fact alot of England fans vocally hate United. That doesn't mean I think every other clubs' players are immune to abuse. You're just making your own assumptions, and putting words in my mouth, akin to something Kermit often likes to do. This is why internet debating is often futile.
  • Options
    Addict, the irony is that the reaction your comments here got is because of the same mentality.