Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Racism in the Big Brother house

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Right the Nazi's are off topic - as is their use of slave labour and murder to create a temporary economic boost - though I suppose if the trains run on time there will always be people who ignore the oppression and murder involved in meeting the time tables.

Anyway - start a new thread on the Nazi's - I'll be removing further discussion of the issue (in this thread only) as off topic.
    Was watching the news earlier and apparently Jade was referring to Shetty yesterday as 'the poppadom'.

Anyone still mantains this waste of skin is not a racist piece of shit?

I actually hope she gets arrested and charged.

And while we're at it, I feel more vindicated than ever in my belief that racists should be silenced not allowed to spread their filth freely and without consequences. When several public figures get away with days of constant racist abuse and stereotyping on national televsion and you get a not insignifcant part of the population saying 'it's not racism' or 'does it actually matter', you know that the theory that leaving racists to speak freely and expose themselves for what they are is the best weapon against them simply doesn't work.

On the contrary, we're actually building a 'tolerance' of low-level racism by allowing those fuckwits to carry on. Don't be surprised if there is a rise of abuse incidents against Asians and Indians. But no matter. They're all poppadoms and should 'go home' anyway...
    love the way the footage of jade apologising to her and hugging her hasnt been shown yet, typical shitty editing and media shit stirring
    Banning the expression of opinion is a very slippery slope, and the witch-hunt against all forms of "anti-social" prejudice is very sinister. It's not any more agreeable than McCarthyism, and look where that got us.

You should be allowed to say what you want providing you're not attacking others. And yes, even if that viewpoint is racist. If I want to stand on a street corner and tell the world about how I hate black people I should be allowed to- and I should be left to deal with the consequences.

The media attention, and the record number of complaints, actually proves that freedom of speech does work- these two cretins have freely spoken and freely hammered in the nails on the coffins of their career. Some people will undoubtedly agree with them- but they would agree with them regardless of the law.
    If we start jailing the Jade Goody's of the world we'll soon have half the UK in jail.

Catching a bit of CBB (I only caught the end as I was waiting for the Trial of Tony Blair - honest) it seems more and more to me though its not a motivated by race but by simple dislike of someone who is better educated and more middle class than she is, and Jade then uses a few racial stereotypes. She certainly doesn't seem to have a thing a Jermaine Jackson.

I'd also wonder whether there would be the same level of outrage if she'd referred to her as posh or snobby or suggested she'd call her children Tamara or the 101 negative stereotypes of the middle class.

I'm moving more and more away from the position that its racism and more and more to personality clash influenced by class.
    She certainly doesn't seem to have a thing a Jermaine Jackson.
    But then she is half black.....
    I'm still unsure about this class thing not having a racial element - I don't how Jade, and others, feeling that someone is from a different class then leads to them calling her -

the Indian
    Poppadom
    She probably lives a shack
    She wants to be white

Even if the cause of the bullying was about class - isn't its expression, at times, involving racism? And if it does - doesn't that mean it is racism, even if racism wasn't the orginal cause of the disagreements?
    So she's half-black on one side and her mother's a disabled lesbian - she sounds like a politically correct cliche.
    Kermit wrote:
    The media attention, and the record number of complaints, actually proves that freedom of speech does work- these two cretins have freely spoken and freely hammered in the nails on the coffins of their career.

I agree :yes: This seems to me a really valid example of people's rejection of bullying (and if you see it that way) racism.
    Jim V wrote:
    I'm still unsure about this class thing not having a racial element - I don't how Jade, and others, feeling that someone is from a different class then leads to them calling her -

the Indian
    Poppadom
    She probably lives a shack
    She wants to be white

Even if the cause of the bullying was about class - isn't its expression, at times, involving racism? And if it does - doesn't that mean it is racism, even if racism wasn't the orginal cause of the disagreements?

Perhaps we're now arguing about how many angels dance on a pin

I think they're using racial terms and that they shouldn't be using them - but I'm not sure its about race. If they met her and got on with her they wouldn't use those terms and I suspect that they're would be other Indians who they could get on.
    Jade Goody is offensively stupid, but I think that’s the extent of it. Her comments are reminiscent of those I remember hearing in the junior school playground during the 80s; young kids spouting nonsense they don’t fully understand the connotations of. Her words and actions do show great ignorance, some of which could be construed as racist, but I’m not sure she’s fully aware of half the shite that dribbles out of her pie-hole.
    Just seen on the news, and this post is for info only

No public audience at tonights big brother eviction, proceeds from tonights phone vote go to charity.
    Jim V wrote:

I think you can be abusive using racist terms without being racist. People use words like "cunt" and "twat" without being misogynistic.

I haven't seen any of the footage of these incidents so I don't know if these two cretins are doing that, but it is possible to do so.
    MrG wrote:
    Just seen on the news, and this post is for info only

No public audience at tonights big brother eviction.
    That's a shame. I would have liked Jade to experience from the off the hatred she has generated for herself.

Still, she has plenty of time to read the articles and look at the front pages of the newspapers her family and friends will have saved for her. Whether she sees the error or her ways or actually believes she's being wrongly accused of things remains to be seen...
    I wouldn't trust the edit as far as I could throw it, the whole point is to create entertainment by making people look bad.

By all accounts the "victim" isn't exactly a virtuous innocent.
    Well jade is full of herself, considering the background she came from before big brother.
    Aladdin wrote:
    That's a shame. I would have liked Jade to experience from the off the hatred she has generated for herself.

I'm glad there won't be a crowd. I've seen some pretty horrid evictions in my time, due to the crowd.
    Damn I really wanted to see her get abuse.
    Woohoo Jade is OUT!
    When you see photos of people thousands of miles away burning pictures of Jade Goody then you know the world has officially gone mad.

I found the victimisation of Shilpa pretty uncomfortable to watch (edit or otherwise), but when the race thing kicked off then it just seemed to go bezerk. The Craphone Warehouse just made it worse by stopping it's sponsorship, but we all know Big Brother thrives on sensationalism and I'm sure it won't do the viewing figures any harm.

You can't really say stuff like that on national TV and not expect a backlash though, justified or otherwise. Well, unless you're an idiot.

Oh wait...
    The Cuntphone Cunthouse got a shedload of publicity for "suspending" their sponsorship.

Not that I despise the robbing bastards or anything, but I hope they go bankrupt.
    Bri-namite wrote:
    When you see photos of people thousands of miles away burning pictures of Jade Goody then you know the world has officially gone mad.

I found the victimisation of Shilpa pretty uncomfortable to watch (edit or otherwise), but when the race thing kicked off then it just seemed to go bezerk. The Craphone Warehouse just made it worse by stopping it's sponsorship, but we all know Big Brother thrives on sensationalism and I'm sure it won't do the viewing figures any harm.

You can't really say stuff like that on national TV and not expect a backlash though, justified or otherwise. Well, unless you're an idiot.

Oh wait...

lol i totally agree. The world really has lost all sanity !!
    Kermit wrote:
    The curious thing about the "racially aggravated" law is that it's only ever applied against white people.
    I hear that comment quite a lot, particular on the African forum I post to (in a 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' kind of way), and it always seems to me that there's a straight forward answer to that 'curious thing'. With a huge 'white' population, many of whom avoid the company of 'black' people, who don't have the same luxury, any time a white person assaults a black person, it's going to be slightly harder to argue that the cause was not racism. A black criminal, on the other hand, has more opportunities, and will probably reap more rewards, for robbing a white person. So the motivation would be economic in that instance.

And a few months back, a Jamaican in Gloucester was in court for racially abusing a busdriver from some African country.
    Kermit wrote:
    I find it even funnier that people care what a creature that slurps away on Edward Sheringham's shrivelled old cock every night thinks
    Too much information there, Kermit :yuck:

Bet you'll be glad when she takes over again, though? ;)
    jade was bullying shilpa and even if she wasn't being racist it is still appalling. danielle appears to be very cute and i kinda like her but i can't help feel that shes creeping to shilpa because she knows her image will be tarnished too. jo is a snidey bitch, i don't like her at all.
    lipsy wrote:
    jade was bullying shilpa and even if she wasn't being racist it is still appalling. danielle appears to be very cute and i kinda like her but i can't help feel that shes creeping to shilpa because she knows her image will be tarnished too. jo is a snidey bitch, i don't like her at all.

:yes: Agreed.

See I always thought Jo was going to be one of the nicer housemates because she always came across really nice in interviews and I remember her talking about how she used to get bullied at school and supporting Anti-Bullying organisations.
    Just shows how fake alot of celebrities really are.
    If anything, I'd have said Danielle (Miss UK my backside) was just as bad if not worse than Jade. She's maybe actually quite insecure and she seemed to pick on Shilpa because she wishes she could be as pretty as her?

Jade maybe deserves more flak though, mainly because she's done Big Brother before and she knows how things can be percieved and blown out of proportion, even if the intent isn't there.

Jo I'm surprised at though.
    I think Danielle is a fucking bitch and I'm disgraced at Jo. Look how Danielle opens her big gob now she's not in Jade's shadow, egging her on.
    Yeah I was surprised at Jo.

That Shilpa is by the far the hottest piece of ass around.