Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Any fellow "gym rats" here?

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    smitherz wrote:
    I take a creatine drink 30 minutes after a workout, then wait between 30mins-1 hour and take a protein shake. Do not take the two together within a close time range as the creatine reduces absorbtion of the protein, at least im sure it is that.

Luckily i have found a decent place to get supplements cheap as it can dent my wallet at times, got to train really hard now in time for the summer :D

From what I know and what the facts suggest, it's better to take creatine 30 - 60mins before a workout, and Protein shakes are best straight after a workout with perhaps another shake at another time in the day depending on preference.

Creatine needs to be at a peak level in the muscles, and taking it after a workout is less beneficial, maybe substantially so. Creatine replenishes ATP which is used during muscle contractions, so it needs to be in your blood at a peak level at the time of your workout.
    I started going to the gym today, should be going twice a week with my friend. :)
    icey wrote:
    It is quite hard to muster up the determination and energy to go for the first few weeks but after that it becomes so addictive!

well i will go at least twice a week but will aim for 3 plus a class. :)
    well i will go at least twice a week but will aim for 3 plus a class. :)
    Go with a friend who is likely to keep it up, it will make things a lot easy and you will be a lot more likely to go even when you dont feel like it!
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Nash wrote:
    From what I know and what the facts suggest, it's better to take creatine 30 - 60mins before a workout, and Protein shakes are best straight after a workout with perhaps another shake at another time in the day depending on preference.

Creatine needs to be at a peak level in the muscles, and taking it after a workout is less beneficial, maybe substantially so. Creatine replenishes ATP which is used during muscle contractions, so it needs to be in your blood at a peak level at the time of your workout.

Sorry i didn't go in to full detail, when i used to take creatine it was before and after a workout. i was just trying to make a point that creatine and protein should not be taken together after a workout or within a close proximity.
    Don't see any reason for most of the above.

RE Supplements.

Without going into a big rant as if I'm talking out of my arse, there are no magic beans, creatine is nothing amazing, and is definately not needed when you first start out, it will be of almost no benefit.

If you do decide to take it, it depends on the type. Monohydrate (classic creatine) is best to be taken POST (ie after) workout and with a simple carb drink (I use dextrose /maltodextrin in water) as the insulin spike helps it gets shuttled to the muscles - The absorption rate of it is really bad.

Best bet is to go for a generic CEE type creatine, I use www.sports-nutrition.net cheap and great quality.

RE protein and other supplementation, all I would say is I have 40g Whey protein and 50g combo of malto and dextrose STRAIGHT after I finish working out followed by a decent solid meal of complex carbs and lean protein around 40-60 minutes after.

It's not going to do shit though, if the rest of your diet is shit.. ya get me?
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    You do have to stick to your diet plan for it to take any effect.

Athletes who mistakenly believe they have to "eat muscle to build muscle" can get up to three times more protein than they need. Muscle mass is not increased by excess protein. While some athletes can benefit from a small amount of extra protein, there are no benefits to excess protein loading. It can, in fact slow you down and put a strain on your body.

Personally i only consume 35g's of protein after a workout as your body converts anything in excess of 35. Too many people go for the full wack from their shake.

The amino acid supplements seem to enhance strength, endurance and stamina, and recover faster from injuries and workouts. All in all you need to keep at eating right and take the "right" supplements or it can all be a waste of money.

however I have my own reasons for taking high amounts of protein and complex carbohydrates
    icey wrote: »
    Go with a friend who is likely to keep it up, it will make things a lot easy and you will be a lot more likely to go even when you dont feel like it!

i prefer going to the gym on my own - i like to do my own thing and tend to focus on what i'm doing. i'd go to classes with my friends though. :)
    new posters but thought i'd put my 2pence in

I've been going to the gym off and on now for a few years.

My current program is purely free weight exercises and then 5 / 10 mins on the heavy bag after for toning.

As for supplements i take creatine and protein before and after a workout. It works for me so thats all that matters really