Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Overtime

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey,

so 2day my boss said that i might hav to do a saturday during my exams in may because she "has to get ready to go overseas to get married". I dont have any contract of any sort and the management are such whores im the only non-management member of staff.

What are my rights, can i refuse 2 do it and if they sack me because of it is it illegal

Comments

• Options
    btw im not supposed 2 do saturdays but i hav in the past when ppl hav been sacked, quit etc.

also if i dotn hav a contract can i quit with immidiate effect ie. not work any notice
  • Options
    If there's no contract you can pretty much do whatever you like, though some kind of governing laws may come into effect if you've been working there for a while, implied agreements and what not. Other people might know more.

Consider though that if you want to abuse the lack of contract for your own purposes, they might be able to do the same to you. And it's you who is meant to be being paid.
  • Options
    Do you like your job?

Would it be a shame if you lost it?

If so, then I suggest you discuss the issue with your boss, say that you really feel that you cant take time out during your exam period, that on other occasions you would do a Saturday, but you cant this time. Obviously if he's then insistant and you dont want to quit you could do a half day. And if he wont except anything other than a full day and you definitely dont want to do it then quit.