Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Need to be alone?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone else get really irritable if they don't have enough time to themselves?

I was just talking to someone about how I get really moody if I don't have enough time alone, even if I'm around people I'm having a lot of fun with.
They don't seem to share this need... but I don't think it's uncommon.

So? Am I strange or are there other loners out there? ;)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lu_C wrote:
    Does anyone else get really irritable if they don't have enough time to themselves?

I was just talking to someone about how I get really moody if I don't have enough time alone, even if I'm around people I'm having a lot of fun with.

I am definitely not a loner and I really need to be around people a lot of time, but as you said I enjoy the time with myself just as much and I need it!

Rather as a "break" if I've been in company for a long time, tho.

nothing wrong with that.
    I prefer the company of my friends. Sometimes I do need to chill out on my own and listen to music but I can do that anytime without getting irritable.
    I always have a need to be by myself. Large groups of people make me uncomfortable, particularly if I don't know everyone. People tend to have their own little groups, and I can flit in and out of all of them but don't "belong" in any particular one.

Other than at college/work/with the boy, I am always by myself unless I am eating dinner.
    I'm on my own most of the time, living on my own, travelling on my own.

Other times I'm at work with colleagues or with the girlfriend, or maybe seeing a mate or 2.

I do enjoy my own space though, doing what I want and when I want. I guess that's one of the joys of living on my own at the moment.
    I love having alone time, definitely. I get stressed if I'm with people for too long and don't get any time to myself. I've just come back from holiday, and there was one day where all my friends went off and did something without me and left me alone at the cabin... some of them were a bit worried that I'd be lonely, but I loved it :D
    I think a lot of it for me is because I'm an only child (well, growing up I was, I have a little half sister now), and so I got very used to having to entertain myself and being able to be alone.
    I Love ME time. I need atleast an hour everyday otherwise I get grouchy. But, if I spend too much time alone, then i feel depressed. :confused:
    Everyone needs time alone at some point.

I like " me time ". There's nothing better after a busy stressful day at work than coming home and just sitting on your own. Equally i enjoy company so it's a 50/50.

I've become very acustom to being on my own these day's it's what i'm used to.
    I like to be alone a lot.
    I'm alone too often and I'd prefer not to be.
    I like a bit of space once in a while just to chill with my own thoughts and a few tunes, I don't need it though.

I used to get really irritable feelings when I was younger... along the lines of "if everyone doesn't piss off within ten seconds I am going to whip out a bazuka", I think it might've just been my awful teenage hormones... or they were twats :thumb:
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I have plenty of alone time, and lately enough of not-alone time as well.
    I wish I had more of not-alone time, but sometimes I also wish I could choose when to have it, as there are days when I'd rather have more alone time than not-alone time, yet I can't turn down an invitation or my not-alone time as a whole would be lessened.
    Congrats to anyone who understood the above paragraph=sentence :p
    lea_uk wrote:
    I'm alone too often and I'd prefer not to be.

That pretty much sums it up...
    I can go probably 2 weeks max with only seeing my family and people i work with, not answering my phone or anything. If people get in my face too much i get angry. It's probably one of the reasons i can't have relationships is that i only want to see them like once a week. Maybe it's a phase.
    I need to be alone right now. In a wood somewhere. Christs.
    Lu_C wrote:

Sometimes if I am stuck around the same people day in day out. It's definitel ynot uncommon. I guess they just don't admit it cuz they wouldnt want to offend :p
    I do like time alone but that also stresses me out after a bit because i get bored and lonely.
    briggi wrote:
    I like a bit of space once in a while just to chill with my own thoughts and a few tunes, I don't need it though.

The same. I've been on my own in my room for a couple of hours now, and I'm definetly bored of my own company now. :) I'd of been just as happy out with my friends, or with my parents/boyfriend though.
    I Love ME time. I need atleast an hour everyday otherwise I get grouchy. But, if I spend too much time alone, then i feel depressed. :confused:

Ditto
    I'm like/need a lot of me time. I'm can quite happily amuse myself for hours, always have been able to. I go through phases of being really sociable and wanting to go out, but they dont happen that often.
    I will never be happy with this subject.

I can be considered as being a loner, i live in a house on my own and am an only child. But one of the things i crave the most is company, i would make up excuses to get me out of the house and meet people, and go to places with my friends, when i really dont wanna be there, just so i have company and people around me.

But also if i spend too much time with people, i can feel like im claustraphobic (sp!), and need to get away from people so i can have time to myself.

I think in my case i have a problem of "the grass is greener on the other side", ive always been alone so want to be surrounded by people, but when im in that scenario, i miss what im used to.
    I like being around people, but I need my own space.

Things have been a bit mental lately, trying to find a new place, changed teams at work, made more of an effort with my family and my love life etc.

Sometimes it all gets a bit much and I need some slow tunes and a cup of Horlicks just to clear my head a bit. I had a little cry to myself earlier, not because I was upset or anything, just stuff had accumulated and I've a lot on my mind.

I always try and have a little bit of Bri time every day now :yes:
    im a tad bit of a loner to an extent. but being alone can sometimes make some negative emotions worse.

but yeah, sometimes i get pissed off and uncomfortable when im around people way too much, and i start to flip out at literally nothing.
    Being a full boarder and sharing a room with 3 others can get a bit tiring. I need time to myself or i'll go crazy. There is ALWAYS someone somewhere. It's very frustrating. I do love hanging out with my friends etc... but not. 24/7. I only go home during the holidays, and that to me is precious time. family time and time to myself.. As much as I love boarding, it has it's down sides..