Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Racism in the Big Brother house

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rachael wrote:

I don't know how obvious the racism thing needs to be. So they aren't dressed head to toe in KKK outfits yet say things like 'Go back home' and 'Return to the slums'. Oh and my personal favourite 'I don't know where her hands have been'. Sure it isn't in your face racism but I think it's naive to deny it as anything other. I hope I'm not the only one picking this up on my 'overly politically correct' radar now :rolleyes:

Ok to be fair I watched the highlights on the news and I hadn't actually heard all of the stuff they were saying and yes now I do see definate racist undertones.
    We were discussing freedom of speech with reference to the Borat film ie. why are only Jews allowed to make anti-semitic jokes? Then I got thinking - why can Dr. Dre say the word n****r and I can't? Am I allowed to call people crackers etc because I'm white and say words like paddy, mick because I have about 1000 years of Irish heritage behind me? Or are only fat people allowed to call other people fat? Or ugly people call other people minging? Where will it end? Surely they are all observations based on someone's physical appearance.

After a lot of thinking I arrived at this conclusion - by having such no-go areas when it comes to racism, surely that only serves to segregate people further. It seems to me that if you want to insult someone, hurt someone etc. without being accused of being a racist, you have to make damn sure they're the same colour as you.

By throwing up rules against what you can and cannot say further emphasizes the fact that there are differences between black people, white people, asian people, mixed race and everything else. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it isn't exactly the correct basis of a society where all people are supposedly equal (unless you're Nietzsche) if the law treats people differently depending on their ethnic origin - surely that is racist.

If this society wants to be truly equal, then, just as I can call people fat, ugly, smelly or whatever else, I should be allowed to make jibes about people's ethnic origin just as they should be allowed to make jibes based on mine.

I wonder what each housemate would make of a swastika on the wall of the house (i.e. would Shilpa be the least offended) ? :chin:
    seeker wrote:
    I wonder what each housemate would make of a swastika on the wall of the house (i.e. would Shilpa be the least offended) ? :chin:

Well since the swastika was originally an Eastern peace symbol, I think if she was in any way in touch with her culture, she probably wouldn't be that offended.

I was wondering when you'd arrive on this seeker.
    Rachael wrote:
    Wasn't ignorence one of the excuses in the Stephen Laurence case? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know how obvious the racism thing needs to be. So they aren't dressed head to toe in KKK outfits yet say things like 'Go back home' and 'Return to the slums'. Oh and my personal favourite 'I don't know where her hands have been'. Sure it isn't in your face racism but I think it's naive to deny it as anything other. I hope I'm not the only one picking this up on my 'overly politically correct' radar now :rolleyes:

They didn't mention race though. There are literally hundreds of races in India, it was more culturally insensitive and ignorant.

Lots of people are ignorant, very few act it out, dunno why you mentioned Stephen Lawrence, are you suggesting Shilpa's life is in threat or something?
    I think its all been taken out of proportion, just because the 3 bullies in question are white and theire target is of a different race. It is immediatly seem as racism. Its not, the fundemental reason is they just dont like her personality.

Telling someone to "go back home" is racist.
    Yerascrote wrote:
    They didn't mention race though. There are literally hundreds of races in India, it was more culturally insensitive and ignorant.

Lots of people are ignorant, very few act it out, dunno why you mentioned Stephen Lawrence, are you suggesting Shilpa's life is in threat or something?

Racism stems from ignorence. Usually when people don't know what they are talking about don't turn it into an insult such as 'I dont know where her hands have been'. I mentioned Stephen Laurence because I'm pretty sure (tho I could be wrong..it's been a while) that it was excused as ignorence.

Yerascrote, I don't believe you have to directly say 'I HATE *****' or something as extreme as that to be considered a racist. For me, the blatent racist undertones were quite enough.
    I'm not sure you can stab someone to death and then claim it was because you lacked knowledge of their culture.
    I find it funny how Danielle made a comment about disliking Indians eating with their fingers when millions of white brits munch on fast food with their fingers every day.
    I find it even funnier that people care what a creature that slurps away on Edward Sheringham's shrivelled old cock every night thinks.

She probably is racist. Big deal, lots of people are racist. Who gives a monkeys?
    Kermit wrote:
    I find it even funnier that people care what a creature that slurps away on Edward Sheringham's shrivelled old cock every night thinks.

She probably is racist. Big deal, lots of people are racist. Who gives a monkeys?

Couldn't have put it better myself
    Yeah that's true.

The KKK are racist, the BNP are racist. Oo the Nazis were racist. Who gives a monkeys? So Jade, Sherringham's biatch and that essex bird from sclub 7 haven't started anailhating every asian person they see doesn't mean you can excuse it.
    I think that if you become lax about every single episode of racism just because you are sick and tired of hearing about it then it opens up the flood gates.
    Rachael wrote:
    Racism stems from ignorence. Usually when people don't know what they are talking about don't turn it into an insult such as 'I dont know where her hands have been'. I mentioned Stephen Laurence because I'm pretty sure (tho I could be wrong..it's been a while) that it was excused as ignorence.

Why state the obvious? If you're gonna say something like that then you'd better have a case where Shilpa's life is in danger when it's quite clearly not. Oh the British invaded India hundreds of years ago and treated the natives like shit. What relevance does that have?
    Rachael wrote:
    Yerascrote, I don't believe you have to directly say 'I HATE *****' or something as extreme as that to be considered a racist. For me, the blatent racist undertones were quite enough.

There were racist undertones but it's more ignorance than anything, people think racists are just plain damn stupid. I've come across a lot of racists who know just as much about other countries cultures than me or you. These girls are just not as educated on matters which concern it, doesn't mean they're racists.
    Main Entry: rac·ism
    Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-
    Function: noun
    >a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
    Well the Stephen Lawrence enquiry assessed that ignorance was no defence against institutional racism. I was not suggesting that what happend to Stephen Lawrence and what is happening to Shilpa equates.

Jade comes from London and whatever her face comes from Liverpool. Two multi-racial societies. Do they walk around with their eyes shut and their minds closed?
    migpilot wrote:
    Main Entry: rac·ism
    Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-
    Function: noun
    >a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Was that directed at me?
    I didn't watch the footage in its context (I've only seen the clips) but I'm still a bit puzzled at so much fuss being made out of it tbh. And I do wonder that if a French person was called disgusting and the usual cheap stereotypes bandied about - frogs legs, snails, women not shaving, etc whether politicians would be hurrying to condemn it and thousands of people complaining. Or if a German person was told 'to go home' would anyone have given a stuff? Or how about someone mimicking a Brummie accent?

I do not think racism is particularly widespread or accepted in Britain and in comparison to France, Spain and some Eastern European countries Britain looks a very tolerant place. Although, xenophobia is definitely something perfectly acceptable to many Brits. The way that a lot of people speak about the French and the Germans especially, for example is absolutely disgusting. (And the way a lot of people who on encountering Germans abroad after a few drinks think we're still at war makes me embarrassed to carry a British passport).

Back to the point - even if this was a genuine case of racism (and I'll assume it is) there are still far more important things that politicians should be talking about than a few nasty comments on Big Brother. And why would nobody have given a stuff if she was French?
    Rachael wrote:
    Was that directed at me?

No.:)
    I agree with you in principle, racism is racism.
    Although my thoughts are that those 3 didn't even know they were spouting racist shit.
    It was aimed at everyone.
    migpilot wrote:
    No.:)
    I agree with you in principle, racism is racism.
    Although my thoughts are that those 3 didn't even know they were spouting racist shit.
    It was aimed at everyone.

ah yay :)
    The american constitution where talking about having a mechanism for a census says "and three fifths of all others"

Yet these days I do believe they count as many black people as they can, not just the slaves (who by coincidence don't exist anymore)

So that's quite defined racism, doesn't matter how you justify or disprove something with a dictionary quote, forgive the pun but its not always so Black and white.

Wars tend to be fought over racist constitutions, not dictionaries, so do feel bad about bitching over a precise word definition.
    Wars are just natural extensions to diplomatic failures.
    The definition illustrates my point that the 3 dumbass people in the BB house don't really have a clue what RACISM is.
    Rachael wrote:
    Yeah that's true.

The KKK are racist, the BNP are racist. Oo the Nazis were racist. Who gives a monkeys? So Jade, Sherringham's biatch and that essex bird from sclub 7 haven't started anailhating every asian person they see doesn't mean you can excuse it.
    I think that if you become lax about every single episode of racism just because you are sick and tired of hearing about it then it opens up the flood gates.

The reason Kermit said who gives a monkeys is because what the hell are Jade and her crew actually going to achieve by making racist remarks? They're hardly going to stir up a Neo-Nazi movement from the Big Brother Audience.
    They are ignorant, racist and not very bright, big headed minor celeberities. No one really cares what they think because they hardly ever think at all.
    See my point? Yeah they are making comments with racist undertones but Asians and Blacks get abused by racists all over the UK every day, we already know this, why should it suddenly be such a big issue because a big Bollywood star is getting abused. It is out of order but the best we can do is laugh at them and take no notice. They are just a bunch of fucking morons, no one gives a fuck about them or their opinions so let's not make a fuss over it.
    Racism is and has been a problem for years, it's just an unfortunate part of life. Over-weight people, people with ginger hair and people with blonde hair get descriminated. There are countless jokes about the Irish and the Welsh and the Scottish. But there is never any huge fuss over any of that, how the hell is it any different? We just need to accept that they are being slightly racist and try and forget about it, unless they are being really overtly racist and shouting things like "YOU FUCKING **** BITCH, I FUCKING HATE YOUR KIND, YOU'RE ALL DIRTY *****!"
    I'm going down the betting shop tomorrow, to place a bet that Channel4 starts a war.
    Or if a German person was told 'to go home' would anyone have given a stuff? Or how about someone mimicking a Brummie accent?

Again, it has to be put into context. Being told to "fuck off and go home" was a common experience for black and asian people in the 60's, 70's and 80's (and probably still is). So was taking the piss out of accents.
    And why would nobody have given a stuff if she was French?

French African? French Asian? or just French?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Again, it has to be put into context. Being told to "fuck off and go home" was a common experience for black and asian people in the 60's, 70's and 80's (and probably still is). So was taking the piss out of accents.

Active discrimination against the Irish was common until the 70's and basic discrimination until the end of the IRA ceasefire was common as well but we don't really mind people taking the piss out of us. It must be a cultural thing.
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Active discrimination against the Irish was common until the 70's and basic discrimination until the end of the IRA ceasefire was common as well but we don't really mind people taking the piss out of us. It must be a cultural thing.

Since when did you speak for all Irish people?
    MrG wrote:
    I'm going down the betting shop tomorrow, to place a bet that Channel4 starts a war.

You do that.
    I'll place one on you not using an extreme example.

Protest in India over BB racism
    Rachael, if you're comparing two annoying nobodies bullying an annoying nobody to the extermination of six million people, you need psychiatric help.

I'm also not sure what your comparison has to do with anything. The only relevance is if the Indian nobody is in danger from the Welsh nobody and the Scouse nobody. If my granny had wheels she'd be a bus.

If you do care, why do you care? I'm sure Shilpa (whoever she is) is a big girl who can handle herself. I fail to see why so many people have got their panties in a wad over three nobodies having a bitch-fight.

No, I don't excuse it, but I quite frankly couldn't give a fuck about this.

After all, if this Shilpa person had been an overweight ginger Geordie nobody would have given a flying fuck about these nobodies abusing her heritage, her upbringing, and her physical appearance. Which is all they were doing, racist connotations or not. I'm from Yorkshire, I regularly get people asking me where my whippet is and when I'm expecting electricity to be invented, but nobody is creating a law says that anti-Yorkshire abuse should be a criminal offence.

Back in the real world, thousands of people die each day from avoidable illness, malnutrition, and war. Back in the real world its fine to beat the living shite out of someone just so long as you don't call them a wop whilst you do it.
    Blagsta wrote:

It's impossible for anyone to speak on behalf of all people of that nation.

Since when has Shilpa speak on behalf of all Indians?

I'm sure your many meetings with people of ethnic minorities in Brixton has led you to come to your conclusions and let me tell you, I've travelled the length and breadth of Ireland and the general consensus is that we take a bit of Irish-bashing on the chin. We don't give a fuck if someone slags our accents, calls us Micks or labels us alcoholics, it's when you get into the heavy shit that it becomes offensive and nothing heavy like the P**i word has been said in the house so I think a lot of people are getting their knickers in a twist.
    Blagsta wrote:

I think his view counts for more, seeing as how he's an Irish man living in Ireland. And you, er, aren't.