Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

trainers and gym wear

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am joining the gym and need trainers and gym wear. Where can I get reasonably cheap stuff?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Primark have really cheap gym wear and trainers!
    i wouldn't get cheap trainers if they're going to be for the gym - it's worthwhile spending more money to get ones that are going to support your feet. the usual places e.g. jjb/sports world etc. :)
    Aye - go for a pair of Cross Training shoes for gym work. If you're planning on doing any real running, get yourself down to Lillywhites and onto the running machine thing.

It measures the impact of the feet (pronation) and then they will be able to recommend the correct shoes for you - as opposed to what look the nicest, whilst feeling ok.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i wouldn't get cheap trainers if they're going to be for the gym - it's worthwhile spending more money to get ones that are going to support your feet. the usual places e.g. jjb/sports world etc. :)
    :yes: and I would recommend getting your clothes from JJB (or any other sports shop) as well. They are designed for working out, and everyone can look snazzy in a pair of lycra yoga pants :)
    I did spend a small fortune when I went, but that is because I think I have a spending problem :)
    I do agree with buying some trainers are suitable for what you're doing.
    so why did you suggest primark? :p
    Bunnie wrote:
    :yes: and I would recommend getting your clothes from JJB (or any other sports shop) as well. They are designed for working out, and everyone can look snazzy in a pair of lycra yoga pants :)
    I did spend a small fortune when I went, but that is because I think I have a spending problem :)

Haha, do you get more of a buzz out of buying clothes to exercise in than out of exercise itself? I empathise :razz:

Cheap trainers can be just as good/supportive to the ankles as expensive ones, it completely depends on the particular ones. Tesco & Asda used to do good basics for gyms and general exercise-wear. Not sure if they still do, I haven't done anything that was good for me since 2003.
    so why did you suggest primark? :p
    I was just going to suggest it for the clothes but for some reason I added the trainers on there too.
    Get comfy trainers - mine cost me about £30, nike running shoes from sports world (cheap sports shop chain)
    As for the rest, I find that t-shirts made of football shirt material are the best kind of top to go for, and nothing too tight or you'll itch. Anything cotton will show sweat patches when you work out > > not attractive!
    Bottoms - Something quite loose and again, comfortable. I'll normally wear trackie bottoms or some combats (fashionable ones, not that proper army jobbys), or if its hot i'll wear 3 quarter length trackies. Shorts are probably best to wear though if you have the legs for it!
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    briggi wrote:
    Haha, do you get more of a buzz out of buying clothes to exercise in than out of exercise itself? I empathise :razz:
    Yeah, is that not the way to go about it? Oh well, I had fun buying them :)
    what size are your feet? you could get your trainers from the kiddy sale department if they're under a 5.5...

get a well supportive sports bra, jump about in it when trying it on, go for as little titty movement as possible whilst not being to tight around the ribs to breath.

wear an old teeshirt and pair of shorts as your kit.
    icey wrote:
    Get comfy trainers - mine cost me about £30, nike running shoes from sports world (cheap sports shop chain)
    As for the rest, I find that t-shirts made of football shirt material are the best kind of top to go for, and nothing too tight or you'll itch. Anything cotton will show sweat patches when you work out > > not attractive!
    Bottoms - Something quite loose and again, comfortable. I'll normally wear trackie bottoms or some combats (fashionable ones, not that proper army jobbys), or if its hot i'll wear 3 quarter length trackies. Shorts are probably best to wear though if you have the legs for it!

I dunno - for some reason when a woman has that sweat patch down the middle of her back, I find it attractive (assuming she's in shape). It at least shows that she's putting some elbow grease into it :)
    icey wrote:
    As for the rest, I find that t-shirts made of football shirt material are the best kind of top to go for

That would be nylon.
    Well I got some stuff today from JJB Sports. Got 2 tops with inbuilt support, pair of trousers and a pair of trainers. So all kitted out!