Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Contact lenses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinking of getting some...

Any ideas how much they'll be?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    mine are £10 a month for monthly disposables.
    I'm paying around £17 a month i think. I need special onces though cos i have odd shaped eyes :|
    It usually depends on your prescription. If you have a fairly normal prescription than you can buy monthlies/disposables for quite a reasonable price.
    I pay £13 a month for monthly disposables, get a new pair every month and a bottle of solution every month. This gets posted to me with 3 months supply at a time.
    I was quoted 32 pm for generic daily disposables and 34pm for added water branded daily disposables. A month supply would last me all year though because I mostly wear glasses.
    I wear daily disposables and i pay £26 a month.
    I think mine were £8 a month from Specsavers, for monthly ones. I know they do dailies starting at about £22 for 30 pairs.
    katralla wrote:
    I was quoted 32 pm for generic daily disposables and 34pm for added water branded daily disposables. A month supply would last me all year though because I mostly wear glasses.

You dont have to buy them for every day though. I use Vision express, and you can just buy however many you want for a month.
    Ive been thinking of going over to dailies but they can be expensive, but since ive had an eye ulcer twice now, thought theyre probably better for my eyes.
    I get mine off of a website for £14 for 32 pairs of lenses - daily disposables :D
    I think I pay £17 a month for 2 pairs of 2 weekly ones, apparently they're supposed to be better for your eyes than the monthly ones (or so my optician said but that may just have been his way of justifying paying more for them). I've never had any problems with them though.
    I pay Boots £9/ month for mine, including annual check-ups. I wear rigid ones and have a pretty strong prescription so I don't know if you can get them cheaper :confused:
    i wear contacts get mine from boots aswell. i pay 55 euro for mine but i live in ireland everything is more expensive here tink vat it including on mine aswel
    I pay £20 a month for monthy toric ones from boots.
    ahh contacts suck. i always had problems geting them in, so i stuck with glasses. i look better with them anyway
    I can't remember how much I pay but I get mine on direct debit from SpecSavers which includes the contact-lense check-ups for free.

If you do this then you can opt for 10, 20 or 30 pairs per month and if you get a back-log because you don't wear them enough then you can suspend your payments but still remain on the direct debit scheme (i.e. you still get the contact lense check-ups free whereas cash customers have to pay extra for these, they can just stop sending the lenses out for a bit).

Also it is cheaper to buy 30 pairs per month than 3 lots of 10 pairs.
    Specsavers are incompetent wankers. Gave up using them.

I pay £6 a month for monthly disposables from Boots.
    Think mine are 12 quid a month including solutions.

I got them a couple of years ago... Never regretted it. Apart from anything you see clearer than with glasses in.
    Gave me a lot more confidence having contacts than wearing specs.
    im going to sound so stupid now, but ah well. I dont understand contacts. I thought all glasses were made to a different prescription for everyone, so if you all get your contacts from boots arent they all the same - so how can this make your vision correct if its just the same prescription for everyone?

really confused!! :confused:

I used to wear reading glasses when i was younger but stopped using them as I found i didnt need them as much (and also hated wearing them). I went to the opticians the other day and she said I needed to start wearing them again - really dont want to, but I know my vision is a bit rubbish ive just put up with it until now. However if i could wear contacts I would do it.

So as were on the subject I was wandering if anyone had to say any advice?
    jenni30 wrote:
    im going to sound so stupid now, but ah well. I dont understand contacts. I thought all glasses were made to a different prescription for everyone, so if you all get your contacts from boots arent they all the same - so how can this make your vision correct if its just the same prescription for everyone?

really confused!! :confused:

I used to wear reading glasses when i was younger but stopped using them as I found i didnt need them as much (and also hated wearing them). I went to the opticians the other day and she said I needed to start wearing them again - really dont want to, but I know my vision is a bit rubbish ive just put up with it until now. However if i could wear contacts I would do it.

So as were on the subject I was wandering if anyone had to say any advice?

They have stocks of lenses in different prescriptions...

^That, if you don't have any weird eye deformities, Astigmatism or other issues with your eye, because you need custom products then.
    I get Focus dailies at £19.89 for 30 pairs. Thats from specsavers online, with Lensmail.
    anyone wear sleep in ones?
    I used to wear the sleep in ones but my eyes became intolerant to them after a year or so.

Now I wear daily disposables.
    I wear monthly sleep-in ones, which are great - i've had them for about 4 years now and i've had no problems at all with them.

I think i pay about £15 a month for them, and i get three pairs delivered to my house every three months from Specsavers.
    I had year contacts a while ago that I used to sleep in accidently when I was pissed, I got on fine with them. If I can find some month sleepins for a reasonable price I'm gonna try em. Are these postal service deals a bit like a contract mobile, in that you have to subscribe for a minimum length of time?
    You get contact lenses in lots of different prescriptions (and sizes), just like you get glasses lenses in lots of different prescriptions and types.

If you've got a reasonably normal prescription and take the standard size then they're really easy to get a relatively cheap.

If you've got a strange prescription and big/small eyes it all gets a little more complex.
    normal sized eyes, normal range of short-sightedness, don't bother correcting astigmatism with contacts- well I never bothered before anyway. I'm just wondering whether the cheap prices peeps are quoting are because they get a months supply every month, or if they're the same price for a one off?

ah thankyou!:blush: