Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dirty old men and sexual harrassment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
k

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've had it before, not for a long time though. It still pisses me off, like this morning at 7.50 i was stood in the bus stop and some guy in a passing van decides to crawl along and gawp at me, then speed off. I think it's very rude, i don't mind a glance when they're going past, but to slow down and gawp i think is quite disrespectful. I'm not a shop mannequin.

I always get it off passing men in white vans for some reason. And i had 'nice tits' shouted at me when i was 13/14. I've also been harrassed at school a few times, had a guy shove his hands between my legs in a corridoor and the same guy grap me and try to lick my face on seperate occasions. Also been harrassed by a 'friend' when i was 14. I did make a thread about it ages ago and it ended up in a massive debate.
    I always get it from old guys and it makes me feel sick.
    I'm just waiting for Spliffie and Klintock arrive and tell me that its fine for men to do this sort of shit because women love it really.
    Kermit wrote:
    Klintock

Shame he got banned. I liked his posts :hyper:. They were entertaining. :razz:
    Is this just a dirty old men problem? Actually, is this just a dirty old men problem? I can't stand those women in their 40's who think it's okay to grab the arse of an 18 year-old man (or whatever it is they do), yet would frown on a 40 year old bloke doing the same thing to an 18 year old girl.
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm just waiting for Spliffie and Klintock arrive and tell me that its fine for men to do this sort of shit because women love it really.
    I hope we don't have to go through all of that again. :yeees:
    Of course, because we have breasts and a vagina means we enjoy being groped and perved on by total strangers.
    Is this just a dirty old men problem? Actually, is this just a dirty old men problem? I can't stand those women in their 40's who think it's okay to grab the arse of an 18 year-old man (or whatever it is they do), yet would frown on a 40 year old bloke doing the same thing to an 18 year old girl.
    I agree with you. I hate being leered at and having my arse groped by random strangers (which, oddly, always seems to happen when I'm in a bad mood), and would never do the same to anyone else.

I was walking home from work once, in my work uniform which is hardly attractive (before anyone tries to suggest that what I was wearing means I brought it on myself), and walked past a group of guys, one of whom grabbed my arse as he walked past me. I was halfway to tears at the time anyway, due to unrelated things (although it was, incidentally, the reason I was walking home rather than being given a lift), and that just made everything ten times worse.

Meh.
    Franki wrote:
    I was walking home from work once, in my work uniform which is hardly attractive (before anyone tries to suggest that what I was wearing means I brought it on myself)
    Nah, you must just have a naturally pinchable bum.
    Nah, you must just have a naturally pinchable bum.
    That is arguable :o. And I'm sure a lot of people would agree with you (me not being one of them ;p).
    as a bloke i would strongly welcome being leered at or even groped by women of any age, im sure people will think thats strange
    I've worked in bars and have been sexually harassed a lot, including by my boss. Once a man pushed me up against a wall and started groping me, so I shoved him off and said "if you ever touch me again then I'll break your fucking hands". I told my boss and he laughed and since then he pinched my bum and called me a lesbian because I don't like it. Needless to say that my home town isn't exactly gay friendly... In some pubs I could get a kicking for being gay.

My flatmate gets really upset that men make comments at her where she works. She's very small and cute looking and also very sensitive. I guess I deal with harassment now by going alng with the joke to a point. Like one guy said to me "nice tits" when I was working and I said "I know, great aren't they" and his friend asked me if I felt uncomfortable with him talking to me like that and I said "I live with myself 24/7, if I should be comfortable with anyone it's me". Never really got anymore comments after that.

Otherwise I just ask them not to talk to me in such a way, or ignore them.

I think it's a power thing, a lot of dirty old men like the attention, or the shock of it. As for propositioning somebody for sex, I think that it's an attention thing too.

However, if somebody tries to touch me, especially in the street then God help them. I've thrown a guy around six stone heavier than me on the floor before. Needless to say my body is my own and I don't take shit from men.
    I always used to find that I'd get stuff like this said to me by people at school who were either 2 years aboe me or at least 2 years below me. I don't get it so much now, but did get it a few times in Years 11 & 12.
    Has anyone ever been flashed? Because I remember hearing that 1 in 3 girls have been flashed in their lifetime.
    Has anyone ever been flashed? Because I remember hearing that 1 in 3 girls have been flashed in their lifetime.

Unfortunately, yes.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    But when I was 14 I was waiting for my friend at a bus stop in town. There was a man waiting at the bus stop too, and I realised he was wanking while looking at me. :sour: ugh wish I hadn't been reminded of that, disgusting.
    When I was on the bus with my friends once, we stopped at a bus stop and there was a guy opposite on a ledge just staring at us and wanking :|.

It was nasty.
    Hmm it's quite bizarre. I mean at first I thought it might be an extension of the same sort of behaviour. But now I think about it, whenever I see someone of either sex feeling someone's arse, it's usually to show off in front of a bunch of friends (they can't actually pull someone, so they need to prove their sexuality?). Whereas the flashing thing seems to be more of a power thing. Otherwise they'd just take a photo and wank over that (which I imagine some do anyway).
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I was once subjected to an old man having a wank on the back of a bus opposite to me...far too close for my liking. Him looking at me whilst doing it knocked me rather sick!
    Koe_182 wrote:
    as a bloke i would strongly welcome being leered at or even groped by women of any age, im sure people will think thats strange.
    hmmmm :rolleyes:
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Franki wrote:
    When I was on the bus with my friends once, we stopped at a bus stop and there was a guy opposite on a ledge just staring at us and wanking :|.

It was nasty.
    oh dear god!! he is travelling around on buses...i didnt know it was so common! I am even more disturbed now!
    Bunnie wrote:
    oh dear god!! he is travelling around on buses...i didnt know it was so common! I am even more disturbed now!
    Haha, he wasn't actually on the bus thank god!
    I've never been flashed thankfully. There was supposed to be one hanging about the park near me when i was little at one point though.
    koe_182 wrote:
    as a bloke i would strongly welcome being leered at or even groped by women of any age, im sure people will think thats strange

Yeah it is strange.

I've had suggestive comments and my arse slapped in a nightclub. Didn't appreciate it when I charged him into the bar. Why do people think they can do that?
    I've still not seen a lad beaten up for doing this. It's annoying because it usually seems to be some scrawny little shit who the girl could quite possibly beat the shit out of. It would be fucking hilarious to be honest.
    My ex used to get it all the time. We'd be walking along the side of the road holding hands and white vans would drive past with the guys in them beeping their horns.
    Once a car full of 'rudeboi's' slowed down and a guy leant out the window and asked her if she was free tonight, and there was me just standing there like "You fucking what mate?"
    Kermit wrote:

They don't?

Back to the drawing board for me!
    I've still not seen a lad beaten up for doing this. It's annoying because it usually seems to be some scrawny little shit who the girl could quite possibly beat the shit out of. It would be fucking hilarious to be honest.
    Tbh the scrawny ones tend to be harder in my experience.
    I've never been flashed. I have had a 60 year old try to get off with me, I keep very far away from him now at work.
    It doesn't happen very much anymore. When I used to go out to bars, guys would try and pinch my bum as they were walking past, annoying as hell.

The most recent time was about a year ago when I was at a fetish club. It was one of their bigger events, so a lot of newbies just going to check it out, lots of men in big groups where they normally wouldn't be. The club has some strict rules to be adhered to, and one of them is that you do not touch anyone without their prior permission. Aside from this event, it has never been a problem, the vast majority of people respect the rules.

So when I guy and his friend thought it would be funny to grab my arse while I was walking past, I thought it was even funnier when I went over to the bouncers and had them thrown out :D
    Ballerina wrote:
    Of course, because we have breasts and a vagina means we enjoy being groped and perved on by total strangers.

That's a relief, because some of the looks I was being given made me think that the women didn't appreciate my attention

Out of context quotes are great! :thumb:

TBH I always thought that a swift knee to the happy sack was how you girls dealt with this kind of thing?
    If anyone in a van or a car shouts abuse at you or sexual innuendos, note down the license plate number quickly on your mobile and hand it into a police station and file a complaint. The driver will then get a nasty phone call from a PC.