Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Shows that started off good and then the writers went mental

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
There seems to be a lot of shows I liked when they first aired but after a few season they go either really weird, or slow or repetitive.

Lost for example I liked when it first came on but it's been get slower and slower and the story lines seem to go nowhere.

But what got me thinking was a show called Due South about a Canadian Mountie in Chicago, which was pretty cool when it started but in later episodes they got rid of the 2nd main character and also introduced 2 characters which we only in the guy's imagination )i.e. the guy was talking to his dead father) .. which is something I really hate in shows.

And same with the show Monk, they got rid of the 2nd main character and the whole dynamics of the show changed ..

And I really used to like Bread but he writing for that got stale.. and they just repeated everything.

So anyone else gone off a show the used to like?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Family Affairs

And I really used to like Bread but the writing for that got stale.

I have nothing relevant to say, i just thought that sentence was funny.
    Lost, first few episodes were really good. after that it was total toss and people were just watching it because it was the cool thing to watch. imo anyway.
    Hollyoaks in the city :lol:
    Erm Friends was good for the first five series, then went pretty crap. Simpsons ran out of ideas a long time ago, and just seem to rely on the fact that everyone knows the characters, and putting them in wacky situations instead of actual good comedy. The O.C. was good for the first series, then the main writer left (except for the odd episode in the second series) and it showed. It was nowhere near as tight after that, and didn't have that self-awareness that it had in the first series. Shameless was still great in the second series, but I thought the whole plot to get James McAvoy out of it was a bit crap. Red Dwarf was good when it had no budget, then it changed into a bit of a parody of itself. Buffy went shit when Willow just "turned into" a lesbian. Her and Xander were always supposed to get together. All I can think of right now.
    Dallas was another show that was fantastic and got better and better but then they killed off Bobby, ran with it and then brought him back to life .. any sensible writer would have simply said he's gone abroad or something, giving him a window to return...

Even Dukes of Hazzard wrote out the two cousins cos they wanted more money in real life but they were smart enough to just say they were out of town and replace then with two other guys that just looked similar, playing their other cousins.
    The Simpsons. Good for 9 or so seasons then became ok, now it's just shit.
    The west wing, aaron sorkin left after series 4, they used the first episode of season 5 as the finale of season 4

was josh whedon of buffy/ER fame after that

showed in the start of season 6 where they spent ages on a crappy aerial shot of the presidents motorcade
    Buffy went shit when Willow just "turned into" a lesbian. Her and Xander were always supposed to get together.
    Agreed.

Casualty and the Bill have both turned into soaps in recent times. London's Burning did too before it ended.

And then there was Babylon 5...
    Erm Friends was good for the first five series, then went pretty crap. Simpsons ran out of ideas a long time ago, and just seem to rely on the fact that everyone knows the characters, and putting them in wacky situations instead of actual good comedy. The O.C. was good for the first series, then the main writer left (except for the odd episode in the second series) and it showed. It was nowhere near as tight after that, and didn't have that self-awareness that it had in the first series. Shameless was still great in the second series, but I thought the whole plot to get James McAvoy out of it was a bit crap. Red Dwarf was good when it had no budget, then it changed into a bit of a parody of itself. Buffy went shit when Willow just "turned into" a lesbian. Her and Xander were always supposed to get together. All I can think of right now.

I am with you on most of this, though i think the Simpsons do still knock out the occasional good episode and Friends also had some good stuff even nearing the end.

West Wing for sure lost the plot Once Aaron Sorkin left it. I also think One Tree Hill much like The OC lost its edge, but it took 2 seasons not one.
    Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Not that I'm complaining.

:lol:

For me:

Lost.
    Desperate Housewives.
    Ultimate Force :p

I get into a lot of seasons in the first but then it gets too old and I give up. Sometimes I last past second or even third.

There are a few I've enjoyed that I don't even remember anymore.
    Diagnosis Murder.

I feel like i'm being disloyal to Dick Van Dyke, but i watched a later episode of that and i had to switch off. It literally broke my heart.
    There seems to be a lot of shows I liked when they first aired but after a few season they go either really weird, or slow or repetitive.

Lost for example I liked when it first came on but it's been get slower and slower and the story lines seem to go nowhere.

But what got me thinking was a show called Due South about a Canadian Mountie in Chicago, which was pretty cool when it started but in later episodes they got rid of the 2nd main character and also introduced 2 characters which we only in the guy's imagination )i.e. the guy was talking to his dead father) .. which is something I really hate in shows.

And same with the show Monk, they got rid of the 2nd main character and the whole dynamics of the show changed ..

And I really used to like Bread but he writing for that got stale.. and they just repeated everything.

So anyone else gone off a show the used to like?

Wish I had a deaf wolf called Diffenbaker (spelling?)!:D

As for Friends, I agree about the series losing it's way after series 5, however, I believe it went back to being good from the second half of series 8 till the last episode!!
    I second the Simpsons. It's been done to death, and it seems every conceivable story line for every character has been exhausted. Some of the stuff is just ridiculous now and rarely does it make me laugh.
    Goodnight Sweetheart. Thay dragged that on way too long.
    Am I the only one who still loves The Simpson's? :(
    Family Guy, Lost, Stargate, Simpsons, Friends, OC, Star Trek Voyager etc etc...the problem with any series these days is that as soon as it becomes popular they will stretch it out and flog it to death, Lost is a prime example of what could have been an excellent storyline but instead we have all LOST interest.
    That website brought back memories! I loved Beverly Hills 90210 until they graduated and all went to the same uni. It became so shit after that.

I used to like Nip/Tuck but the last couple of series have just pissed me off too much to watch it. I know it was always a bit mental but has just become too ridiculous for me now.
    Oh yes! Scrubs.... sorry but I think that's past it's best now.

And ER. I never got over the death of Mark Greene.