Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

He is not attractive

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya, well my problem is this, I recently met a guy on the internet through dating ads. We emailed each other and had lots of things to talk about and had so much in common, so we decided to exchange numbers. When I met him in person he was very unattractive but was great laugh, nice guy and I just couldn't believe how much we had in common. Well I went to his place and we played around but I felt really turned off by his appearance and to be honest I felt dirty. Nothing to do with the sex but i couldn't belive I was doing it with him. A lot of people are gonna say im shallow but you have to be physically attractive to the guy as well as personality and if we did have a relationship (he is very willing) which I want a lot of people would tell me that I could do soooooo much better, but the thing is he is such a great guy.

Comments

• Options
    It's not shallow at all. Sex is an important part of any relationship and if you don't want to have sex with your partner then it doesn't matter how great his sense of humour and his personality is, the relationship isn't going to work.

If you get on well then try and be friends, but don't string him along, don't have sympathy sex with him, and don't feel bad for not finding him sexually attractive. In time you may well find him attractive, but if you don't there's no point starting a relationship.
  • Options
    One thing I would say is, I would try not to worry what your mates would say. I know that's easier said than done, and I used to suffer from this one alot, thinking my mates would take her apart, but at the end of the day, if you were to become attracted to this guy, it would be you dating him, not your mates. And if they are true mates, I would expect them to be supportive in the end..
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's not shallow at all. Sex is an important part of any relationship and if you don't want to have sex with your partner then it doesn't matter how great his sense of humour and his personality is, the relationship isn't going to work.

If you get on well then try and be friends, but don't string him along, don't have sympathy sex with him, and don't feel bad for not finding him sexually attractive. In time you may well find him attractive, but if you don't there's no point starting a relationship.

In the mid of your post I wanted to say I agree with you, but I had to add something, but what I wanted to add was already mentioned as well (the bold part).

Very often are people not physically attracted to their partner in the beginning, but that fades off after some time and in the end (or let's say into the relationship), they ARE attracted in them, just because those things may really shift.

If you are physically repulsed by him, because he's obese, or unhygienic, or has weird body odours or habbits or fetishes, then there is no point in leading him along tho.
  • Options
    I am in the same situation. I have been dating a guy but am in a dilema as I don't really find him phyically attractive as he is kinda balding and is hairy which kind of turns me off but he is a great guy and I really like him for his personallity.
  • Options
    Loads of people think it's shallow to think like that, my best mate nicknamed me "puddle" because of my views on attraction in relationships (though I found it interesting that she never went out with mr personality of the year either) and then she that changed in later years to "damp ground" :D

In my view it's nothing to feel bad about. Every bloke isn't going to blow your skirt up with his dashing good looks and that's just the way it is. You can't be with someone you're not physically attracted to... or, at least, I can't. If you feel dirty about having sex with him, and repulsed by the idea of a physical relationship then I think that's all you really need to know!
  • Options
    Yeah, looks aren't everything, personality does play a big part.
    However looks do play an equally big part... It's a difficult matter of finding that balance.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Like I said elsewhere, IMHO the only difference between good/best friends and possible soulmates is sexual attraction. If the latter doesn't exist, maybe you're just meant to be friends (which of course is a problem if the attraction exists on his part).
    I'll also agree with Kermit and StrubbleS, it might come eventually. It's happened to me.
  • Options
    :confused: Why would you sleep with someone who you don't find physically attractive?
  • Options
    maybe your more bothered about what people think, and who you think you should be with. Maybe you think you should be with a model look a like. Maybe this guy was a really great guy that you was attracted to him and thats why you did stuff with him but fear of what others think and images of prince charming have affected your feelings?
  • Options
    I had this problem with a guy once... I was sooo attracted to his personality but really not attracted to his looks... I didn't have sex with him, but we did do everything but because I found it really hard to say no as part of me was attracted... but in the end I had to stop it because the part of me that didn't want the physical stuff to happen won out and the friendship suffered because of it.

Just be honest to yourself... if you just want to be friends with him, you're going to have to tell him that.

But like people have already said, the physical attraction may still appear; so just cool it off a bit and see what happens maybe?
  • Options
    :confused: Why would you sleep with someone who you don't find physically attractive?
    Exactly my thoughts..
  • Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for the advice I've decided to tell him that we should be friends, because I don't really want to lead him on. I probably need to mature up a bit and not focus too much on looks, anyway thanks for the advice:)
  • Options
    I think you have to have a spark, an instant feeling of "mmm" or feeling like you know them. Chemistry is important. While feelings can grow over time, initial attraction is vital in my opinion. Although many people do go out with and even marry people they do not have sexual chemistry with, I think they may be missing out.

But then the problem is, you may have a spark with someone who is no good for you, while the guy you don't fancy would treat you wonderfully.
  • Options
    its really weird i can go out with people who i dont find amazingly attractive although, with my ex i only realised he wasnt good looking during sex which was kinda bad as we'd been going out a while...
    awakward situation but yea. maybe stay mates for a bit and see how it goes, i agree, you can find someone attractive later when now you don't- i've had that many times :)
    good luck x
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote: »
    I am in the same situation. I have been dating a guy but am in a dilema as I don't really find him phyically attractive as he is kinda balding and is hairy which kind of turns me off but he is a great guy and I really like him for his personallity.

The thing is, being kinda balding and hairy, whilst not necessarily being turn ons, don't have to be turn offs either, if the guy's attractive in other ways and has the personality. My boyfriend is both balding and hairy, but he has the most amazing smile, is really intelligent, fun and comes out with the best one-liners in the blink of an eye-lid. I don't give a toss that he's losing his hair (it's not as if the poor guy can help it!) and quite disturbingly I now find hairy chests really sexy ;)

But if some sort of chemistry isn't there from the start, there's not a lot of point in persuing. You can't make yourself like someone.
  • Options
    agree^ it's not relevant if a person is classically attractive, what is completely relevant and appropriate is if you are attracted to them, which has nowt to do with maturity. I think the option you chose, to be friends, IS the mature thing.
  • Options
    Meryn wrote: »
    and quite disturbingly I now find hairy chests really sexy ;)

Ha, funny that isn't it... you get attracted to one guy who for example has a hairy chest when before you didn't like them that much, and then you decide you do like hairy chests cos you've fancied a bloke with one and on him it's attractive. (I secretly like them too ;) )

Feelings are very complicated :rolleyes:
    Much too complicated.
  • Options
    It sucks being on the genetic short-end.

Just think of us as fodder.
  • Options
    My boy (:D) is not what anyone would call physically attractive (although I don't think I am) but I still think he's gorgeous and I can't think of him without wanting a cuddle at the moment.

If you get to that point you'd know about it, and you'd probably know that you liked all of him, even if you weren't sure your mates would approve.

As it is, it sounds more like he's in the good friend category, so your decision to go with that sounds like a good one, and if you get to know him better and your feelings change then you can deal with that then.

xx
  • Options
    As has been said, you've made the 'mature' decision. In a relationship, I personally think that you have to be both physically and mentally attracted to the person you're with. I've dumped attractive guys in the past, because they didn't turn 'me' on - all my mates loved them but they just weren't doing it for me and that's the key thing here. Without being a bitch, you do have to put your feelings first. If you don't want to be with him because you don't find him attractive, then don't. It really is that simple.

Hope he is mature enough to settle for friendship. Take care. xxx
  • Options
    junker wrote: »
    It sucks being on the genetic short-end.

Just think of us as fodder.
    Oh woe is me!!!! Don't be daft. Whilst there are traditionally attractive people out there, it's not always what people want. I like to look at a nice bit of ass but it's not what I want to take home with me!
  • Options
    My boy (:D) is not what anyone would call physically attractive (although I don't think I am) but I still think he's gorgeous and I can't think of him without wanting a cuddle at the moment.

That's the crucial part. They don't have to be Mr/Ms Universe, and it doesn't matter if no one else in the world finds them attractive. But if YOU don't find them attractive, you have a problem.

If they look like Stig of the dump on a good day, but personally you think they're the foxiest person alive, then you're onto a winner.
  • Options
    You're not shallow at all so don't even entertain that notion.
    Sex is an integral part of any balanced relationship, especially in the initial stages of courtship.

I totally get where you're at in respect to simulatenously finding him unattractive and yet feeling the chemistry click in other areas.

You have a blast with him out of the bedroom right?

Stick with it then.
    Worst case scenario...you'll end up friends.
    Chances are though, you will begin to find other aspects of him
    increasingly alluring as time progresses.
    I'm the same way.
    It's very rare when I met a man and feel instaneously insanely attracted to him. Ordinarily, it takes time to build, time to mature.
    When I met my ex, I thought he was dead ugly straight off the bat.
    It took an entire year, but it all fell into place eventually.

Don't lose hope.
    And please...do NOT think you're shallow.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Loopi wrote: »
    Oh woe is me!!!! Don't be daft. Whilst there are traditionally attractive people out there, it's not always what people want. I like to look at a nice bit of ass but it's not what I want to take home with me!

I'm not in woe over anything, I'm being realistic. Yes there are some people out there who don't look for a 'traditionally' attractive person. The majority do. It's unfortunate, but it can't be controlled.

I'll bet the guy mentioned in the beginning of the thread is most likely thinking "Oh yay, I'm talking to someone interesting, similar, and attractive. It seems like she thinks of me the same. Awesome! Weeee!"

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd hate to find out the reason some girl whom I get along with isn't going out with me is because I'm not physically attractive. It's not shallow; everyone has their likes and dislikes. The fact that it's not a controlled variable is... upsetting. Mainly because you can't change it. Ever. Even if you surgically do something, you're still are who you are. Oops. Where's the reset button?

(By the way, I understand the majority of this post is rhetorical, and most people don't care to philosophise about life in aspects like this one being discussed. I just find these kinds of things interesting.)
  • Options
    Guys are attracted to girls because of genetic looks, we will look at a woman, strip her down, change her hair, take some weight off, add some on, put a smile on her face, take one off, dress her up again. If we still dont like her then shes lost, guys see potential.

Girls however are attracted to how a guy takes care of his looks. Because this reflects on what type of person he actually is, how he lives his life. To some girls, if a guy is wearing white socks, hes lost the battle. So to be fair if you arent attracted to the guy, its probably his fault.

MD
  • Options
    junker wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'd hate to find out the reason some girl whom I get along with isn't going out with me is because I'm not physically attractive.[/size]

Er, why? Different people have different tastes. She may not like you, but someone else will think you're sex on legs as well as getting along with you. Don't be so pessimistic.
  • Options
    I must say I've found myself in a similar quandry. I've just split up with a man who is so kind and gentle and treated me well. He isn't totally ugly, however he's not what most people would call attractive. I care about him loads and love him so much. However, I don't get "butterflies" or a "spark" from him. Which is the main reason I've ended it. But still I liked having sex with him. I just didn't get "the feeling" I've had with other guys, like electricity, and I wasn't excited by his conversation or company, so I decided I wasn't in love with him.

Can anyone understand that?
  • Options
    HunnyPot wrote: »
    I must say I've found myself in a similar quandry. I've just split up with a man who is so kind and gentle and treated me well. He isn't totally ugly, however he's not what most people would call attractive. I care about him loads and love him so much. However, I don't get "butterflies" or a "spark" from him. Which is the main reason I've ended it. But still I liked having sex with him. I just didn't get "the feeling" I've had with other guys, like electricity, and I wasn't excited by his conversation or company, so I decided I wasn't in love with him.

Can anyone understand that?

Yeah i had a problem like that several years ago. Think it's fairly common.
  • Options
    Amazing. About 2 years ago I posted something similar to this on a different forum, it was along the lines of me chatting to a girl in a chatroom for ages, feeling like we'd get along, eventually meeting up with her and finding out there was no physical attraction between us, even though the personality was there.

I was jumped upon by what one supporting bloke called 'feminazis' who told me I was shallow and I should 'look elsewhere' for her beauty.
  • Options
    Put a bag over his head. Problem solved.