Home Politics & Debate

Doherty and BBC ban

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Apparently, according to our very own thesite.org, he's been banned from children's TV by the BBC. I can't find the story, but thought we could discuss it anyway.

I think that this is probably the right thing to do, and that the people who voted that kids can make their own judgements in the poll on the front page are in error, children are children for the very reason that they can't always be trusted to make their own judgements about what is sensible and safe.
«1

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Pete Doherty pays his taxes to fund the BBC, and to ban him from the programmes is a fucking disgrace. No public organisation should be banning anyone from anywhere.

    Besides which, Doherty's drugs can't be the problem because for fuck knows how long the BBC employed Johnny Vaughan as a family entertainer who, as we all know, is a convicted drug dealer.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    Besides which, Doherty's drugs can't be the problem because for fuck knows how long the BBC employed Johnny Vaughan as a family entertainer who, as we all know, is a convicted drug dealer.

    I'm guessing you dont believe in rehabilitation then?

    I think the clear difference between Doherty and Vaughan is one is an ex-offender, and one is a current chaotic addict.

    Not that I think he should be banned, he's a good poster child for the anti-drugs message.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2007/01/making_the_headlines.html

    HNewsround having an 'informal agreement' about not reporting on a boring druggie when he punches another journo is hardly major censorship. They even state its not a blanket ban...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's from children's TV for fuck's sake. It's not a universal BBC ban. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the action, but you can see where the BBC is coming from.

    How long before BBC haters complain about UK porn stars being banned from children's TV despite paying their fee like everyone else?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think he'd be allowed on tv if it weren't for the fact that the whole world has gone PC- the BBC can't be seen to advocate drug use as there would no doubt be an outcry from parents if they saw Doherty flouncing about on saturday morning tv. Think about it. It's only the same as H&M dropping Kate Moss for the Cocaine Kate scandel in the papers.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's the same thing as them sacking that Blue Peter guy.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's the same thing as them sacking that Blue Peter guy.

    Exactly!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru

    Thanks for that, its nice to know that a large number of people out there also hate the Daily Mail.

    I just think he isnt 'news' to their age group. I'd rather he wasnt news at all to be honest, there are many many more important things.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Anyone who sprays blood from a syringe at people is a scumbag.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When did he do that?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That blog was yet another circle-jerk from the BBC telling everyone about how wonderful they are and how everyone else who criticises their business is a big mean liar.

    If the BBC believes in democracy as much as it claims, then why the hell can't I vote that smug twat out of a job?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    If the BBC believes in democracy as much as it claims, then why the hell can't I vote that smug twat out of a job?
    You have some very strange notions about democracy, Kermit... :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    When did he do that?

    On German TV last year. Sprayed a syringe full of blood at a camera. Disgusting behaviour.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well I aint a lover of the BBC but banning Pete Doherty form childrens TV, doesn't seem that a extreme a move.

    why would you want your kids to watch him anyway?

    He has glorified drugs, and while some people on here may be ino drugs this isn't a legalisation issue, they are still an illegal substance that can wreck your life and you have this guy who has gotten rich and famous on the fact that he is a wild drug taking rocker.

    He has nothing to say that would appeal or be suitable to children. He doesn't have anything to do with childrens tv so why the issue in banning him?

    just makes sense to me.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Doomsday wrote:
    Well I aint a lover of the BBC but banning Pete Doherty form childrens TV, doesn't seem that a extreme a move.

    why would you want your kids to watch him anyway?

    He has glorified drugs, and while some people on here may be ino drugs this isn't a legalisation issue, they are still an illegal substance that can wreck your life and you have this guy who has gotten rich and famous on the fact that he is a wild drug taking rocker.

    He has nothing to say that would appeal or be suitable to children. He doesn't have anything to do with childrens tv so why the issue in banning him?

    just makes sense to me.
    totally agree with everything you've said

    it's not like he'd contribute anything appealing to children's tv, so i don't see the problem!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's a good thing, the right thing to do (though the point about his being an excellent potential anti-drugs posterchild is a good one).

    For all intents and purposes he should be in the clink by now, so a kid's TV "ban" is pretty easy-going.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Uncle Joe wrote:
    You have some very strange notions about democracy, Kermit... :p

    :p

    Yeah, you're right, democracy in this country is that I pay the robbing twats a huge tax, go to prison if I don't, and get fuck all say in what happens.

    The BBC- proven by an independent judicial enquiry to be liars and smear-campaigners- are the worst at it- at least every other arm of Government pretends to be accountable.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He doesnt have anything to do with kids tv, so i don't see what difference it makes - it's not like he's role model material anyway
    I don't understand how he's been caught with drugs so many times but hasn't been put away for it?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    On German TV last year. Sprayed a syringe full of blood at a camera. Disgusting behaviour.

    MTV banned him from ever appearing on any of their shows because of that, all the crew had to be tested. But no one made a fuss over that piece of 'censorship'.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He should be in the slammer, and not reporting him is an editorial decision for the BBC.

    It goes to show that they're not "impartial", though, doesn't it? And if they're not "impartial" then whole reason of their existence goes out of the window- such a shame the telly tax won't too.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote:
    I think it's a good thing, the right thing to do (though the point about his being an excellent potential anti-drugs posterchild is a good one).

    For all intents and purposes he should be in the clink by now, so a kid's TV "ban" is pretty easy-going.

    :yes: I agree with all of that. He isnt a role model for kids, hes a walking, talking anti-drugs campaign.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :yes: I agree with all of that. He isnt a role model for kids, hes a walking, talking anti-drugs campaign.


    Well appearing off his face all the time, in court, arrested, countless rehabs isn't very attractive but.....

    he is famous, he earns a fair bit of money (that he spunks away on drugs admittedly), has fans and has a supermodel for a gf/wife/fuck buddy. All the time high on drugs.

    hardly and anti-drugs advert is it if he has all that?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, sure, on the surface he might have the odd thing going for him... but anyone with any sense or who can look a little deeper can see past the money (though he apparently has none) and fame and see the fact that he is soon to become entirely infamous as his music becomes more and more overshadowed by his antics and addiction.

    Now, while for a lot of people these days notoriety and infamy is a desirable thing, maybe even moreso than fame itself for an achievement or talent (possibly because they haven't any, but that's another topic entirely) but I do actually think Pete Doherty did at one point want to be recognised and admired as a musician and poet. He is very talented but it means fuck-all while he's still hooked, he's a junkie first and foremost. All his "friends" are star-struck (and highly liked drugged-up) liggers.

    I think it's a really sad state of affairs. Part of me does feel for him as strange as that may sound, and I think I might even sympathise if I wasn't so cheesed off about him getting away with it all scot free.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote:
    his music becomes more and more overshadowed by his antics and addiction.

    He's a musician??

    Not based on anything I've heard. Which incidently is my major gripe about the publicity he recieves. Musically he's shite really.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well I think he's alright, the music itself isn't right up my street but I think he writes some pretty great lyrics.

    Obviously he's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, it's pretty irrelevant whether you actually like his music or not anyway -- the point I was making [maybe badly] was that he was initially known as a an artist and now he's known as a junkie.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah I see your point briggi but how many kids and teens are gonna look past the fame, money, gf and all the glamour?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Doomsday wrote:
    yeah I see your point briggi but how many kids and teens are gonna look past the fame, money, gf and all the glamour?
    aparrantly, kids don't think he's a good role model anyway - even they're not that stupid. I don't think kids are as shallow as people think.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You might be surprised, obviously some teenagers [and adults] are as thick as two short planks but not all. Luckily, I don't think this is actually a situation where we need to worry about his influencing kids anyway to be honest, they're more interested in people like Take That and - at wildest - Robbie Williams.

    I'm not saying young people are going to look past it, the majority probably won't or can't; basically I was just countering what you said about it not genuinely being a good advert for steering clear of smack and other drugs. Because once you start to look into the layers of destruction deeper than the fact that he's a pasty, bloated, sweaty, pudgy-yet-skinny lunatic who keeps getting arrested there is a really potent message there. I don't doubt that most people don't see that when they look at him (they see the model girlfriend, "rock'n'roll" "lifestyle" etc) but I think in time they might, and while to some people their lifestyle might epitomise glamour and fame, it doesn't.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    horses for courses I guess.

    Depends who is looking at him and how they think.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    as much as i hate pete doherty and think he is a [email protected], the libertines did make some quality music.....but i don't think he should be famous for being a junkie, which is more or less all that he is now. oh sorry, he dated kate moss as well so let's all bow down.
Sign In or Register to comment.