Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Performing

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Has anyone here done - or do they do - any kind of public performing (steady on!). My local pub is having a Winter festival this weekend and the owner has asked me if I'd like to sing/play a few songs (obviously impressed with my ukelele skills hahaha).

I guess it's - in seriousness - because last weekend my other half played a gig at this pub with his band and I sang a few songs with them. They are playing again this weekend so I could do a couple with them - I just feel incredibly nervous about the entire prospect - though obviously very flattered. Any tips?

Oh yeah, and any ideas on crowd pleasers? I guess I will do a slow-tempo Just Like Heaven, Me & Bobby McGee (they're the ones I think I'm "best" at, my old faithfuls) and maybe a Smiths or Lou Reed number of some variety when I sing with the band. But in terms of my own set I was thinking Joni Mitchell, some Dylan, Tom Paxton or maybe even John Martyn - keep it simple. The main clientele of the pub are woolly jumper wearing hippies so there is no need for any chart music or owt like that :D

Wish me luck :razz:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The only kind of public performing I have done is DJing.. which isn't really so much directly in the public... but...
    Biggest crowd I played to is about 1200 people and I was bricking it. The only advice I can really give is that you know they have asked you to do this for a reason, because your talented and they know you will please the kind of people that go there.

Also its like all things like this, you will be shitting yourself before you go on no matter what anyone says to you... but once your up there and you get going, the nerves will go out the window and you will love it!!

Good luck with it! :D
    When I used to play electric guitar I played a few gigs with a band I was in. My biggest audience was about 100 people. Of course you're gonna be nervous, it's the fear of people not enjoying your music/singing and the fear of doing something wrong. But yeah as JamesZero said, they obviously picked you because they thought you were good and would be appreciated by the crowd that they have, so you just have to go with that and have trust in their opinions.
    If you do sing a wrong note or something by mistake, who gives a fuck, even the most talented musicians and singers fuck up live sometimes, when I saw Less Than Jake they fucked up the intro to Gainsville Rock City.

Good luck :thumb:
    Cheers fellas :thumb:

I had an inkling he may have asked me as I have spent more money than should be legal behind his bar over the years! I'm not too worried about sounding shit as I'm pretty confident that I don't, especially with the folksy kinda stuff they like down there, and I definitely know I can play. I suppose it's just a question of keeping my nerve, if only I could get a few down the hatch for dutch courage beforehand... but since I can't I will just have to be brave! I'll have all my marras around anyway I suppose so they will be contractually obliged to cheer even if it is shite ;):D
    i am also in a band. the pre-gig nerves are far worse than how you'll feel when you are actually on stage.
    O_o wrote:
    i am also in a band. the pre-gig nerves are far worse than how you'll feel when you are actually on stage.

That's very true.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Used to MC at local club called Enzo's at an event called Adrenalin. Have MC'd at few south coast Raves when I was younger too. Havn't don't it for years because although I still enjoy the music, raving is no where near as important for me as it used to be.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Used to MC at local club called Enzo's at an event called Adrenalin. Have MC'd at few south coast Raves when I was younger too. Havn't don't it for years because although I still enjoy the music, raving is no where near as important for me as it used to be.

Did you MC to Hardcore or Jungle?
    Also, how did you get noticed by the clubs? My mate is fecking good at MC'ing but he doesn't really know hot to get the clubs to see his talent.
    Hardcore.
    I knew and know quite few local DJ's and MC's, or at least know people who know them. Think Marley, Robbo, Brisk, Ninja. All south coast lads.
    We used to put on parties at the local pub using stero equipment provided by Brisk's uncle, Marley and Robbo went to Mountbatten School where I went etc etc
    Weekender Offender 
    Marley, Robbo and Brisk are all fucking quality. You are one lucky dude lol.
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Marley, Robbo and Brisk are all fucking quality. You are one lucky dude lol.

They're not mates of mine, I just know them to speak to if you know what I mean.
    I've fallen out of love with hardcore and clubbing really. Shame.
    Weekender Offender 
    Well that's still pretty cool, I only really got into the whole scene a couple of years ago so there's many more years of raving left in me!
    One of my mates is 26 and he used to go to Drum & Bass and Hardcore raves every weekend, but he's like you now and says it doesn't give him that same buzz that it used to, although he reckons him and his mates have still got one big rave left in them.
    He went off Drum & Bass a few years ago though when he saw MC Det push a female fan away from him on her cheek when she asked him for an autograph.
    He's met MC Storm though and apparantly he's a fucking quality bloke, doesn't let the fact he's one of the biggest Hardcore MC's around at the moment get to his head.
    I'd perform for briggi any day
    MrG wrote:
    I'd perform for briggi any day

:D Hello stranger!
    pill 'ed wrote:
    He went off Drum & Bass a few years ago though when he saw MC Det push a female fan away from him on her cheek when she asked him for an autograph.

MC Det is a cock and a terrible terrible MC... he is hench as fuck though lol
    briggi wrote:
    :D Hello stranger!
    Have missed you too