Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Racism in the Big Brother house

Celebrity Big Brother has now received an incredible 14,500 complaints about racist abuse directed at Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty.

I haven't watched a minute of it so I don't know what the abuse consists of. But if it is true, what does it say about all of us? Some commentators are already claiming that the other contestants' vile abuse simply reflect British society at large.

Is this true? Are we really as intolerant as a nation as those "celebrities" in the house? Or are those people just Z-list jealous desperadoes and bullies who can't stand a successful and beautiful woman eclipsing them?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think we're a racist society compared to most.
    I caught a very small part of it after the Carole Malone eviction. Danielle seems a bit of a thicko, but Shilpa has a personality that could rub some people up the wrong way and Danielle is apparently one of those people. Shilpa is also a Black Belt, but I doubt she'd make a big thing about that, it would conflict with the 'I'm a lady, I like to to do lady things' shtick too much. Bring back the boxing pads, I say. Work some of that tension off...
    Just seems like female cattiness and bitching to me. So they pick on the most obvious thing because there is nothing else to bitch about.
    I admit, I've been watching.

I suspect that if you suggested to the participants that what they are doing is being racist, they would be horrified. However, this doesn't make it right. I think their bullying is borne from your last comment... these women are incredibly jealous and have become caught up in the bullying as they feel they have allies in each other. With the exception of perhaps Jade, I don't think they would participate in this kind of bullying on their own.
    I think it's worth mentioning that Shilpa is not entirely aware of the amount of hostility directed at her, as they can all appear to be friendly towards her when it suits them. She is obviously aware that there are tensions, but not so aware of all the comments directed at her when she is not around. I'm not sure what relevance that has, I just thought I'd point it out. I think Channel 4 is wrong not to step in and at least have a word with the three women, highlighting that bullying is against the rules, but I think they may not have stepped in yet because Shilpa hasn't complained about it yet.
    I should post the link to the article in question that suggests the BB antics simply reflect this country's attitudes. It's co-written by Germaine Greer

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,,1992029,00.html
    Digital Spy's forums are down because of the 'heavy load'. CBB seem to have raised their profile considerably...
    she's a mardy bitch and i don't like the way she treated Jade's mum!
    But I haven't seen it in the past few days so I don't know how she has been treated now.
    Oh, for fuck's sake, this is really annoying me.

What happened to good old-fashioned bullying? Why does everything have to be about race or ethnicity? The JP who told the drunk who racially abused his doctor to call his doctor a fat bastard next time was right- all this racism nonsense really is starting to get ridiculous.

Greer is right.
    How could the actions of a dozen people possibly reflect a nation as a whole? The idea is clearly ridiculous.

The sentence 'Britian is a racist country' is just gibberish.

There are certainly plenty of racists in Britain, whether there are more or less than other countries, i am unsure.

I know for fact that their actions doesn't say anything anout me as a british person or anyone else, just themselves, and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot......
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh, for fuck's sake, this is really annoying me.

What happened to good old-fashioned bullying? Why does everything have to be about race or ethnicity?

Me too.

I haven't watched the programme but I have yet to hear anything on the news which would suggest that anything racist, specifically, had been uttered.

Wasn't there bullying last year too?
    For what I've been told there haven't been any direct racist insults- but there's been rather patronising and insulting comments and incidents that are probably a mixture of ignorance, prejudice and racism.

Apparently some of the housemates were debating whether to eat something she had cooked, because being Indian you never know where her hands might have been.

In another incident Jade's mother, who for what I've heard sounds like a nasty piece of work, did a rather good Marjorie Dawes impression (the Fat Fighters woman from Little Britain) when she asked her repeteadly what her name was, failed to pronounce it properly then later say 'oh well we'll just call her "the Indian".

Not full hatred-motivated racism but I'd imagine rather patronising and insulting to Indians all the same.
    In another incident Jade's mother, who for what I've heard sounds like a nasty piece of work, did a rather good Marjorie Dawes impression (the Fat Fighters woman from Little Britain) when she asked her repeteadly what her name was, failed to pronounce it properly then later say 'oh well we'll just call her "the Indian".

Yeah I saw that. I think it's just female jealousy. Shilpa is pretty stunning.
    it may not be full on petrol through letterbox, swastikas dubbed on door type racism but its still rascist bullying. That said if she wasn't Indian would they pick on something else? Probably...

Is it important enough we need to Keith Vaz asking the PM about during PMQs or Gordon Brown making a statement with his views? Probably not...
    Germaine greer:

"to the vast majority of couch potatoes out there, Shilpa is a "**** bird"."

Vast majority? I really hope that horrible hateful woman.... grrr
    Jade and her mother are an insult to our country. I despise them both, they're repulsive.
    sophia wrote:
    Why are you persoanlly offended? Do you consider yourself a couch potato?

Because when she says couch potato, she's referring to pretty much everyone. If you've ever watched her speaking, she's so full of hatred - especially towards men. I saw her on question time, she had the audacity to say that we should get rid of male politicians and replace them with women!

Followed by cheering women and giggling. - Wouldn't be so funny if it was the other way round tho.

She makes sweeping statements all the time, mostly to incite people, she plays up to the audience and never has a reasonable argument. She'd be going round in 1916 telling everyone that 'men who dont fight are cowards!' and encouraging people to attack those who weren't on the front, yet all she does is call other people down. Never encouragement.

Sorry for a little rant there, she doesn't believe in equality, she wants a matriarchal society, with men as slaves, probably.

eta: as for my going off topic, well I was demonstrating a point that that particular person just likes slinging insults about, rather than saying anything worth listening to
    She happens to be right in this instance though. Channel Four brought her into the house as the token Indian, trying to capture the huge Bollywood market, and most people will just see her as that Indian bird. Would a lot of people use an uncouth word like p***? Probably. It's a common enough word in Bradford.

There's a difference between racist bullying and bullying someone through racism. In most cases the racist words are just an insult, nothing more- if she was ginger she'd be insulted for that, if she was fat she'd be insulted for that.

I really don't understand why calling someone a p*** cunt brings in the Thought Police but calling someone a fat cunt doesn't. I don't think you should get extra time in the nick for "racially aggravated" crime- either you attacked someone without provocation or you didn't. Calling them a wop or a n*gger before doing them doesn't make it worse.
    I don't agree, I don't think the 'vast majority' of people see her as the **** girl. Mind you, I don't watch it, but whilst there may be some people, vast majority implies something like 3/4 of people.

Just more stupid exaggeration from her again, it's to be expected really.
    It's hardly fucking racism. I mean, that Jackiey is horrible but she was referring to Shilpa as 'the Indian woman'. But isn't that what she is? If someone referred to me as 'the British woman', or even 'that white girl', then I woudnt be offended because that's what I am.

It's just using the colour of Shilpa's skin to excuse the fact that no-one likes her.
    Germaine has summed up precisely my thoughts about the whole affair, as always. I couldn't add a thing :heart:

Oh wait, here's hoping that the thing that made Jade Goody's, er, "career" can also destroy it in one fell swoop. I have to totally echo pill 'ed's view on her and her unbearable mother.
    ShyBoy wrote:
    Germaine greer:

"to the vast majority of couch potatoes out there, Shilpa is a "**** bird"."

Vast majority? I really hope that horrible hateful woman.... grrr

presumptive arrogant hag isnt she
    ShyBoy wrote:
    Because when she says couch potato, she's referring to pretty much everyone. If you've ever watched her speaking, she's so full of hatred - especially towards men. I saw her on question time, she had the audacity to say that we should get rid of male politicians and replace them with women!

Followed by cheering women and giggling. - Wouldn't be so funny if it was the other way round tho.

She makes sweeping statements all the time, mostly to incite people, she plays up to the audience and never has a reasonable argument. She'd be going round in 1916 telling everyone that 'men who dont fight are cowards!' and encouraging people to attack those who weren't on the front, yet all she does is call other people down. Never encouragement.

Sorry for a little rant there, she doesn't believe in equality, she wants a matriarchal society, with men as slaves, probably.

eta: as for my going off topic, well I was demonstrating a point that that particular person just likes slinging insults about, rather than saying anything worth listening to

Bobbins. You clearly have a very shallow knowledge of her beliefs and what she stands for... out of interest, have you ever read any of her work that wasn't linked from this site?

It is always worth remembering [before you try and extract pity for men from women - ha ha ha] that men have ferociously and relentlessly attacked and smothered women through their behaviour and their words for centuries. But I see, now the poor ickle men can't take a few home truths like the suggestion than a more potent female influence in politics could change the world!? Cry me a fucking river. It is an offensive suggestion, as nary the most militant of feminists (and the lovely Stargalaxy believes there are even many just on this site) want to punish men by doing to them what was done to women of previous generations, but men are still largely so terrified of - and repulsed by - feminists [male AND female] that they take any advancement or call for further equality as being crazed vengence and view it as an attempt to dislodge men from the position of almighty power that they STILL maintain.

As for her "sweeping statements" and - indeed - very strong views, well they are inherent to any polemicist. Germaine is an easy target as she refuses to piss off just because some people [largely men, it has to be said] give her a bit of stick. Brava, I say!

Oh and to stick slightly more on topic, she is not calling all people couch potatoes; by any stretch of the imagination.
    When you put people who lives very different lifestyles and come from different cultures you can expect their to be clashes.
    Germaine Greer just makes me laugh. What a twat. Everyone in Australia are just big fat surfers and crocodile hunters. End of story.

I don't think there was any racism in this, just plain ignorance. The girls are being bullies, they see something in a person they can manipulate it and go for that. Nothing they done was overtly racist, lets just put it that way.
    briggi wrote:
    Oh and to stick slightly more on topic, she is not calling all people couch potatoes; by any stretch of the imagination.

Do you know many Brits who aren't couch potatoes! :p
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Do you know many Brits who aren't couch potatoes! :p

:razz: Fair comment! I think she was on about a particular kind of couch potato though... fried in beef fat with canderel on top.
    It's hardly fucking racism. I mean, that Jackiey is horrible but she was referring to Shilpa as 'the Indian woman'. But isn't that what she is? If someone referred to me as 'the British woman', or even 'that white girl', then I woudnt be offended because that's what I am.

It's just using the colour of Shilpa's skin to excuse the fact that no-one likes her.
    How about debating whether to eat something she has prepared because you don't know where her hands have been?

I didn't watch that incident but someone at work who did said it was clearly in reference to her being Indian.

If not full-on racist it is at least ignorance and prejudice-driven racial stereotyping.
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    When you put people who lives very different lifestyles and come from different cultures you can expect their to be clashes.
    Yep. Which is exactly what Big Brother bosses were banking on- and they got what they wanted. Ratings shot up for last night's episode, and I should imagine tonight's will be even more watched.
    Aladdin wrote:
    How about debating whether to eat something she has prepared because you don't know where her hands have been?

I didn't watch that incident but someone at work who did said it was clearly in reference to her being Indian.

If not full-on racist it is at least ignorance and prejudice-driven racial stereotyping.

The only thing I thought that was a bit borderline was Danielle (Teddy Sheringnhams girlfriend, yes that's how A-list they are Alladin ;) ) saying "Do they eat with their hands in India, or is that China?" Though that's more ignorance than anything else, I don't think impersonating her accent is racist or even that ignorant, if I was there and I was annoyed with some scouser, I'd have no problem taking the piss out of their accent.