Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Vegetarian Crispy Duck

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Quite a few of the chinese takeaways have added this to their menu. Has anyone ever tried this, or have any idea what it could be made from? Sounds very strange to me!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe its just a vegetarian duck, cooked in the usual way.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    kangoo wrote:
    Quite a few of the chinese takeaways have added this to their menu. Has anyone ever tried this, or have any idea what it could be made from? Sounds very strange to me!!

Yes I've tried it - and I do actually eat real duck, but it was surprisingly good actually. The place I tried it had the texture almost perfect. Not sure what it's made from though - probably something similar to quorn. Which reminds me - quorn has changed the recipe for its veggie sausages and they are now very wrong :crying:
    Quorn sausages have always been wrong, you want to buy Cauldron Foods ones or Tesco's own in a green box in the freezer section :yum:
    Quorn sausages have always been wrong, you want to buy Cauldron Foods ones

Yep, Cauldron all the way. Their Lincolnshires are to die for! In defence of Quorn's bangers - they aren't quite as bad as Linda McCartney's (which look like a turd from the morning after the night before) :(
    **Helen** wrote:
    Yes I've tried it - and I do actually eat real duck, but it was surprisingly good actually.

No matter how good it is, it'll never beat real Duck.
    I LOVE Duck, it's my favourite kind of Chinese food :yum:
    briggi wrote:
    they aren't quite as bad as Linda McCartney's (which look like a turd from the morning after the night before) :(

That is very true. I think they've changed the recipe though because they are a lot nicer than they used to be! We get them from the corner shop because its 99p for 8 which is a bargain. Not a patch on cauldren though. But why is it a pack of 5 :confused:
    I'm with Pill'ed on this one. Duck has got to be one of the best meats in the world. That veggie stuff may be nice but the real thing, all 30% fat of it, is beautiful.
    briggi wrote:
    Yep, Cauldron all the way. Their Lincolnshires are to die for! In defence of Quorn's bangers - they aren't quite as bad as Linda McCartney's (which look like a turd from the morning after the night before) :(
    quorn ones with bramley apple arent too bad. Certainly not bad for 70 calories each for a super-slimline breakfast grill!
    Linda McCartney's sausages ... no, just no *shudder*
    My kittens shit better sausages than Linda McCartney :p They're bloody rank, both LM's bangers and kitten poo :D
    I like making shapes with sausi-mix
    saus mix is great for making veggie scotch eggs
    vegetarian duck - bit of an oxymoron
    RubberSkin wrote:
    saus mix is great for making veggie scotch eggs

oh I did wonder how you'd made that!
    I don't like sausmix the texture is really weird
    Quorn sausages have always been wrong, you want to buy Cauldron Foods ones or Tesco's own in a green box in the freezer section :yum:
    As long as it isn't the mushroom sausages :yuck: .

To be fair, I'm not a big fan of meat substitutes, they're only handy if you're very short on time. I just adore fruit and veg.
    linda mcartney sausages ARE hideous, but linda mcartney sausage rolls on the other hand :yum:

they are actually very very convincing. Taste the same as real sausage rolls
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    In answer to the OP's question, mock duck is made from Seitan, or wheat gluten.

Cauldron foods do the best veg sausages, I agree! Quorn ones are a little rubbery in texture and don't really crisp up very well...