Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Losing Weight - The fat & less attractive one

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
You know when boys talk about when they are trying to pull a fit girl and that girl always has a fat and ugly friend? Well, that's me. Genuinely.

And if you saw my friends in Kingston, you would agree because they are stunning. It annoys me going out and I feel like I am in the way because everybody is talking to them. I'll admit I am a little bit over weight too, but I hate being a burden when we go out places and tbh I can't ever see anybody being attractedto me at the moment.

Just to note I am not really down on myself about this. I just know that some people are better looking than others (I am good at some things, but I don't mind the fact that I don't exactly look very good), however I do think that losing weight will make me look and feel better.

Does anybody here have any success stories on losing weight?

I am planning on starting swimming lessons as soon as I finish my shitload of essays. I am strictly vegetarian, I don't drink a lot and I don't tend to eat a lot of sweets.

I just think I need to, for so many reasons, but mainly for myself.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Excercise sounds like your plan mate, do a lot, and do it for real.
    Sorry, stunning in Kingston? Are we talking about the same Kingston upon Thames?
    Sorry, stunning in Kingston? Are we talking about the same Kingston upon Thames?
    Yeah, they're not from Kingston tho, just studying here.
    join weightwatchers :yes: plus try to go walking for at least 30 mins a day. worked for me :) lost 3 stone in.. just over 5 months.

(thanks about the message about the binge eating by the way - compleetely forgot to reply or say thanks so i feel a bit bad :blush: got over that phase thankfully so no more binging :) back on the weightwatchers for moi!)
    That makes me a little more sense!
    exercise is a good, sensible and healthy way. just give yourself smaller portions of foods that you like. don't go for a starvation diet nor one where you have to cut out certain foods / food types. thats my advice.
    soraliah wrote:
    join weightwatchers :yes: plus try to go walking for at least 30 mins a day. worked for me :) lost 3 stone in.. just over 5 months.

(thanks about the message about the binge eating by the way - compleetely forgot to reply or say thanks so i feel a bit bad :blush: got over that phase thankfully so no more binging :) back on the weightwatchers for moi!)
    Ohh weightwatchers yes! *goes to see*

The locals are pretty chavy, my brother lives by one the pretty bad estates just outside Kingston. I know how you feel Moonrat. At work I tend to feel like the fat, ugly one if I go out with the females in the office. I really need t olose some weight, I've been piling it on again. :no:
    I agree with the walking one. Put on some headphones and walk pretty fast
    How can you be overweight if you have such a healthy diet? :confused:

Anyway exercise is a great choice, not only can it help you to lose actual weight but it also has positive effects on how you relate yourself with your body, help you feel more relaxed and familiarised with it, not to mention improve your mood. So good luck :)
    I don't understand people who think that dieting is the only way to lose weight. Especially as Moonrat is a vegitarian, it's not like she's got too much lard intake is it?

Fucking lazy if you ask me.
    My advice is that - if you over eat one day - its not a problem and doesn't mean you have given up on your diet - you just need to ensure that you start again the next day - the same with excersise.

Secondly read the nutritional facts on the back of EVERYTHING you eat - you would be suprised how much fat there is in things like Hummus and processed food.

Also weigh out all your portions - most foods will tell you on the how to cook section what a normal portion per person is - especially with pasta its very easy to cook way more than you actually need, or reduce your portion size buy roughly half. I also read somewhere that 1 portion of cheese is a slice equivalent in size to a domino - which is tiny.

Avoid eating "white" foods and replace them with "brown" alternatives - ie brown pasta, bread and rice (brown basmalit rice is actually really nice). But 1/3 of your diet should be starchy food such as this.

Make sure you eat your 5 portions of fruit and veg each day.

Lastly those people who have sucessfully lost weight have done lots of excersize and eaten sensibly (not crash dieting) - there is no magial formular which will make you thinnner just lots of hard work and not setting yourself unrealistic goals and definately not starving yourself!
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Does anybody here have any success stories on losing weight?

:yes: A friend of mine, who I'm sure won't mind me posting this as he's extremely proud of his achievement lost 6 stone with slimmers world. As you can see he went from 22 stone to 15 stone. I haven't seen him for a while, but last time I saw him he looked very healthy indeed. He's the resident poet for Borkowski and has a cool picture on the homepage.

ETA: however, I think wyetry has posted some great info, and can't emphasise enough the importance of a balanced diet.
    A couple of years ago I lost just under 2 stone. I joined the gym and went religiously 3 times a week doing various cardio and weight training machines. I also followed the weightwatchers 'points' system to the letter. I ended up eating more than ever before, but still losing weight. It was because I was eating lots of food, but lots of good food like eating raisins and fruit in between meals.

It was a hard slog, but it worked...
    A couple of years ago I lost just under 2 stone. I joined the gym and went religiously 3 times a week doing various cardio and weight training machines. I also followed the weightwatchers 'points' system to the letter. I ended up eating more than ever before, but still losing weight. It was because I was eating lots of food, but lots of good food like eating raisins and fruit in between meals.

It was a hard slog, but it worked...
    being nosey here.....dont answer if you dont want.....but did u keep it off?
    Nope :lol: It was a time in between GCSE's and AS Levels, so going into 6th form and meeting the Vending Machines, it all went back on again.

Doing it all over again now though. Weightwatchers points and swimming. (Can't do any 'land exercise' because of my joints!) so hopefully this'll be IT this time. Losing it and keeping it off is my aim this time.
    well good luck :)
    Yes, I know I have a balanced diet and all about nutrition (I have lots of books on it). I think my problem probably is exercise, I have dyspraxia and it makes it very hard for me, but I saw the doctor yeaterday and she said swimming will help because it will ease the pressure on my joints. I hate the gym, people used to laugh at me and give me funny looks when I went, it is very male dominated, especially my university one (apparently).

It annoys the fuck out of me though. I am not especially lazy, I am a very hard worker, I don't eat a lot, yet there are people who slob around eating shit and doing fuck all and they look great. Grrrgrrr. lol

Thing is, I went to see the nurse and she made me kind of feel like a slob, but I'm not... It's not like I lie around all day and live off beef burgers. Oh well.

I am going to join Weightwatches I think, I've been this weight for years and when I look at photographs of myself I feel sick.

Maybe it'll boost my self-esteem too.
    Swim swim at KingFisher.

I can promise the male lifeguards there will all think your hot.
    Swim swim at KingFisher.

I can promise the male lifeguards there will all think your hot.
    Yeah ok lol
    Trust me, I've worked there and they've considered me hot. ;) If you've seen me it'd all make sense, but put it this way, at work I wear XL unisex uniform.
    Erm I assume when you say "lose weight" what you really mean is lose fat? Well with cardio, you've got to look at the ones that burn the most calories. That's jogging. But if you have problems with your joints, then swimming or cycling might be a better option. Also consider skipping if you're feeling self conscious, because that way you can do it in privacy, rather than having to go for a jog in front of a load of people.

But the most important thing is to increase your metabolism, because that's how your body burns off the calories. And basically, the stronger your muscles, the better your body becomes at burning fat, because your metabolism increases. The mistake people always make is to eat less. This just slows your metabolism. Eat more, but more of the right things, combine it with low weight, high rep weights (don't worry about getting freakishly huge, it's not going to happen) and plenty of cardio, and you should see results. According to my weetabix packet, you should be having 2000 calories a day. If you're not, chances are your metabolism will be slower than it should be, and you'll find it hard to lose weight.
    I look at photographs of myself I feel sick.

Doing excersise is beneficial to everyone no matter what their size but I did want to reassure you that you do look lovely in the photographs you post on here
    people are not going to be looking at you and laughing at you when you're at the gym! see all sorts/types of people at the gym and everyone is too busy to even notice and besides generally people who go to the gym are older and should be more mature! have you thought about joining a gym elsewhere? i didn't really like my uni one and one part of it was worrying about bumping into someone i know/like when i'm all lobster-faced and sweaty! :naughty::p
    Give this a try:

Hot Rox Extreme

It certainly does work. It's a little intense the first few times you take it, but you get used to the effects. It literally melts the fat off you. Combined with a healthy diet and a good exercise plan, the results are astounding.

G.
    g_angel007 wrote:
    Give this a try:

Hot Rox Extreme

It certainly does work. It's a little intense the first few times you take it, but you get used to the effects. It literally melts the fat off you. Combined with a healthy diet and a good exercise plan, the results are astounding.

G.

seriously?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    ruby_soho wrote:
    seriously?

I find myself wondering the same.

Anyhow, I'd have a read of TheSite's article on diet pills before considering anything like that, aswell as this Q&A from NetDoctor.
    g_angel007 wrote:
    Give this a try:

Hot Rox Extreme

G.
    effects?

u mean feeling like you're on speed because your heart is beating so fast and you cant keep still.....?

or breaking into cold sweats?

if it were as easy as taking tablets like those to lose weight, we'd all be popping pills
    Yes - they do work.

The first few times you take it you get a little "disorientated", almost like you're coming up on a pill, but never quite get there. You then settle down, but certainly feel very warm (great during winter!!) and if you're in a warm room, you can sweat a little (although not much).

You're heart is not going mental, and you certainly don't feel like you're on speed, that's for sure.

There is a slight euphoric feeling that comes with it. You just feel quite happy.
    if it were as easy as taking tablets like those to lose weight, we'd all be popping pills

I *did* say that in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise you will see great results. You can't just take something like this and carry on eating pies all day. It's a supplement, not a miracle... But yes, it does work.

I'm hardly over weight, but still noticed the difference over a predetermined workout time (several weeks) as opposed to not taking it. Those little last bits of 'round the middle' flab that seem impossible to shift (which HAS to be done to get that six-pack through) - especially if you're doing long hours and so can't quite get the workouts in that you want to - just vanished.

I suffered no loss of appetite etc, and carried on as normal - I just happened to be a lot warmer during! ;)

Oh - and would certainly not class these as 'diet' pills. I didn't lose any weight, just body fat, which due to working out and the lack of appetite suppressant, I replaced with muscle mass - which this promotes as well.

I will add that these are certainly not for everybody, that's for sure. A friend of mine tried them and found the feeling too intense, whereas his wife started taking them instead and found they worked a treat. She'd put on a lot of weight during pregnancy and wanted to lose it again.
    I've gained quite a bit of fat over dec/jan... christmas is obviously the main culprit and my birthday was last thursday so there were lots of cakes/ chocolates around for that. Must try to train harder to burn it off!