Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should I ask?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Basically my flatmate's boyfriend near enough lives here and none of us mind that (apart from when he's noisy and wakes us up occasionaly) as he's a lovely guy. However, if he's near enough living here so he can work full time in the next town, is it fair to ask him to pay bills? He spends a lot of time watching the TV in her room and playing computer games and it uses our electricity.

She says he conributes to bills, but it only seems to be her part of the bill (i.e. it's split in to three and he pays part of her third of the bill).

Is this fair? I don't know if he likes staying at his Dads or is Ok doing that and wouldn't want him out.

I daren't ask tho, but if he's staying 7 days a week and all...

Or maybe I'm selfish.

N.B. Neither myself nor my other flatmate own a TV, DVD or a videoplayer, we just have stereos we sometimes use and I have a laptop.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think its fair if hes there 7 days a week that the bills are split 4 ways.
    i think its fair if hes there 7 days a week that the bills are split 4 ways.
    :yes:
    Hmmm yes, I guess.

I mean they probably use the most electricity on TVs and computer games anyway.
    For a while we had a fella living on our sofa, only one of us knew the guy like so eventually we told him we don't mind him coming round, just not to take the piss like.
    To me, this is essentially a moral dilemma. If he is staying seven days a week, then there is probably a case for him footing some of the bill. You say something about him paying part of her one-third of the bill. In other words, he pays around 17% of it. That doesn't make sense to me, for some reason.
    If he's using a lot of electricity and gas, then I'd expect him to help out with a bit of housework, cook and buy food or whatever. I wouldn't ask him to split the bills as his names not on them but I'd consider speaking to his mrs and seeingif he wants to move in officially.
    This is just my personal ways but you are entitled to ask him to give you money.
    Have you noticed your bills go up?
    VinylVicky wrote:
    If he's using a lot of electricity and gas, then I'd expect him to help out with a bit of housework, cook and buy food or whatever. I wouldn't ask him to split the bills as his names not on them but I'd consider speaking to his mrs and seeingif he wants to move in officially.
    This is just my personal ways but you are entitled to ask him to give you money.
    Have you noticed your bills go up?
    I think so, my flatmate said he left the heating on hig all over Christmas too.

The fact is that he works full time, but his girlfriend says he's saving to go to uni... But it wouldn't hurt to help with the bills a bit. My other flatmate has said something but neither of us know how to cnfront our flatmate in case she moans at us or gets upset (she nags us about the cleaning and stuff as if we've never touched a sponge at all... tbh the kitchen is spotless when I'm around).

But it won't be a huge amount to pay either, it's courtesy and both him and his girlfriend must use more electricity than either my other flatmate or myself because we have less equipment and my other flatmate isn't in a lot (neither am I when I don't have a ton of essays).