Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Private accommodation advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey,

Any advice or opinion will be very much appreciated here, if someone has previous experience.

I'm now in a group of 8 people that are looking for a house. We've agreed to start looking and arranging viewings when we can to get a feel for what's around and to grab something of good value, early on. I'm totally happy with this I don't mind looking now as exams are nearly out of the way (only easy two now left).

But I just wonder if anyone agrees or disagrees with my decision to look now? The uni suggests to look from March onwards and I don't know if I am rushing myself too much.

To let me know what you did and what happened would be great.

Thnx in advance

Steve
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    me and my current housemates started looking at this time last year and found the house we are in now. looking at some friends houses owned by the same landlord, i think we made the right choice as ours is alot nicer. but i think it depends on your area and the general standard of accomadation.
    When it comes to a place to live, albeit for students or otherwise, the earlier you look around, the better. If it's sorted early on, you can then continue to enjoy your time at university without this hanging over your head. It also means that any potential problems can be spotted and rectified quickly, helping to make the move as smooth as possible.

Far from being too early to start looking, you're showing responsibility and initiative, and I applaud you for it.
    mrbox99 wrote:
    Hey,

Any advice or opinion will be very much appreciated here, if someone has previous experience.

I'm now in a group of 8 people that are looking for a house. We've agreed to start looking and arranging viewings when we can to get a feel for what's around and to grab something of good value, early on. I'm totally happy with this I don't mind looking now as exams are nearly out of the way (only easy two now left).

But I just wonder if anyone agrees or disagrees with my decision to look now? The uni suggests to look from March onwards and I don't know if I am rushing myself too much.

To let me know what you did and what happened would be great.

Thnx in advance

Steve

unipol suggest to look from the 13th of january onwards. Where abouts are you planning on living, theres loads of houses in the headingly and hyde park area, but obviously the best ones go firts. You will find 8 bedroom houses have fairly limited choice.
    olaola wrote:
    unipol suggest to look from the 13th of january onwards. Where abouts are you planning on living, theres loads of houses in the headingly and hyde park area, but obviously the best ones go firts.

Yes, thnx for everyones advice. We are looking properties in the LS6 area (headingly(cardigan road), hyde park, etc). We looked at two today on victoria road that were awful. We have 6 more bookings made for tomorrow in the locations I have mentioned.
    olaola wrote:
    You will find 8 bedroom houses have fairly limited choice

I totally agree, there being snapped up so quickly it's not real.