Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Need help with winxp ASAP pls

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, I'm hoping there are some pc wizards on here..

I wiped my IBM laptop to reinstall win XP and installation went fine, up until it asked for the key. I realised I'd used the wrong XP disc and don't have the correct product key for it. Doh.

I now have the correct disk and key but now everytime I restart the PC win xp setup starts from where it was closed, even when the CD isn't in the drive it still starts up and then asks for the CD. There are no options to quit and when I press cancel it does the whole loop again.

It's driving me nuts!

I am assuming I need command prompt but when I try safe mode with command prompt it doesn't work because the disc has been reformatted.

I've googled it but can't find much. If anyone can help please do!

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    boot from the cd and it should give you the option to start a new installation and abandon the current setup.

i had a similar problem the other day.
  • Options
    Porky_StalkerPorky_Stalker Posts: 108 The Mix Convert
    koe_182 wrote:
    boot from the cd.

You might need to change your boot order within the bios.

To access the bios you will have to press 'F2' or 'Del' or maybe 'F11' or 'F12' to access the boot menu, from there find the setting for boot order. change the 1st boot device to cd.

When the computer restarts, it will hopefully ask you to press any key to boot from cd.

Another thing to remember, during the installation, the machine will reboot and try to boot from cd, dont press any key - let it boot normally to complete the installation.

Make sure you change the boot device back to what it was after installing windows so that it wont always try and boot from cd.