Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gay Sheep

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Presumably snogging is unnatural as well, seeing as no reproduction can come out of it...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Presumably snogging is unnatural as well, seeing as no reproduction can come out of it...

I agree a bit. But I *think* it would have evolved as a social thing, like those monkeys who eat nits off each other.

I'm very concious people might be annoyed at me in this thread now :/
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    Would you agree that is the primary / main purpose though?

No. Why does something have to have a "primary" purpose?
    ShyBoy wrote:
    Well, not as such, but it shapes it. We evolve and change by trial and error - I don't know how to articulate it - I understand the concept of evolution, in fact I've read a lot on Darwin's theories, so either you've assumed I wasn't aware, or are trying to pick me up on an otherwise insignificant argument? :confused:

You're the one who stated that evolution "designed" things. You tell me.
    ShyBoy wrote:
    Well, like Jim says, evolution is survival of the fittest by accident, and I think of the 'normal' as a perfect being that lives in complete efficiency / effectiveness in it's environment.

Nothing lives "in complete efficiency / effectiveness in it's environment.". Its a fallacy to think so. Evolution doesn't find perfect solutions, just things that are good enough to survive. There is no grand plan guiding it. In fact, ascribing an evolutionary purpose to everything is wrong - some things may have no purpose.
    ShyBoy wrote:
    Every single living thing is above / below this normal, with deviations in certain areas. Being predisposed to heterosexual behaviour brings you closer to an 'ultimate' point of evolution, homosexual further away, simply because in a homosexual creature, the chances of them procreating is far far less.

I don't understand this bit.
    ShyBoy wrote:
    We evolve by our genes mutating and changing randomly (or perhaps not so? maybe one day I'll do research into that :p), so that goes without saying. Homosexuality is just as usual (well not so, but is a change equivilent to) blue eyes, however those with blue eyes don't have a significant disadvantage in their environment (however lighter pigmented eyes mean you're more sensitive to light apparently, so better in areas of the world with less light?), however homosexuality will not make the creature 'survive more effectively', in fact any purely homosexual creature will be doomed to extinction, which is why 95% of the population (off the top of my head, I've head some people saying 14% of the population is gay, but I think that's an exaggeration) is heterosexual. Inherited behaviours / desires through genes from their parents.

You're making the mistake that every trait has to have a purpose or an evolutionary advantage - it doesn't. It just has to not be disadvantegous enough to die out.
    ShyBoy wrote:
    By normal, I don't mean socially unacceptable, I mean as an example of the species that will survive effectively in it's environment. I think this is where the main confusion comes from. I'm not making an emotional argument, I am purely looking at the science of it, that homosexuality isn't what most humans evolve towards, it is a random mutation that occurs. Which has no bearing on the quality of character of a homosexual person whatsoever.

ShyBoy wrote:
    But how many homosexuals are travelling to Iran for their valentines holiday? I think you are trying to exaggerate the discrimination faced by homosexuals. Of course it occurs, but by all accounts there's nothing that stops your average gay person in the UK from enjoying their life. Discrimination in hotels is the exception not the rule, and it's just because people get so worked up over it that it's made into a big deal.

Hmm. I can't vouch for every gay person in the world, but in my experience when I've been out and seen guys or girls kissing nobody pays them much notice - not anymore than if it was a girl and a guy. Have you noticed that people do spit, tutt and stare then?

Every gay person I know has had abuse at some point for their sexuality.

ShyBoy wrote:
    As an example, my friend put it like this:

Whereas I thought cheating was cheating, whether you're gay or not.

Your friend sounds a bit weird tbh.
  • Options
    Don't be silly Shyboy - I don't think anyone thinks your homophobic - and the point of this is to debate issues.

However, it's always difficult when someone who isn't persecuted for something thinks the persecution doesn't exsist, or is no longer as bad as it was. People do still get the shit kicked out of them for being gay, even killed as in the case of David Morley, and young men like Anthony Walker still get bludgeoned to death with an axe just for being black.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Theories are not just guesses y'know.
    I see your point but because no one can actually prove anything, like what was before everything we can theoretically prove? That's why I'll only have an open mind to whatever any human can tell me or try to prove.
    Theories are just guesses on what we can see and work out, what if everything we theoretically prove was put to us as a test to see what we'd come up with? No one can prove if everything's just a guessing game or not.
    Anything anyone says is all based on evidence they see, who/what put that evidence there from the very beginning and what was there before the beginning? And I'm not even religous!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    that is sexual desires coming out in us, a lead up, being horny blah blah blah
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No. Why does something have to have a "primary" purpose?

It doesn't have to, but I just think when life evolved that sex came about because species that shared genes rather than copied them were more effective at surviving. Hence procreation allowed more complex forms of life.
    You're the one who stated that evolution "designed" things. You tell me.

No point discussion over this point.
    Nothing lives "in complete efficiency / effectiveness in it's environment.". Its a fallacy to think so. Evolution doesn't find perfect solutions, just things that are good enough to survive. There is no grand plan guiding it. In fact, ascribing an evolutionary purpose to everything is wrong - some things may have no purpose.

The way I understand evolution is that it is an iteritive process. 'Trial and improvement' if you will. There will never be a 'perfect' solution. But by and large, the genepool tends towards a more efficient 'build'. Some things may have no purpose, but in this case they won't usually propogate through the gene pool, will fade out as being redundant / unneccessary traits.

Things do just need to be good enough to survive, but out of two creatures, one can just survive, and one can do it very effectively, give them 100 million years and with all the random things that can happen to disrupt the environment, it will be the creature that is more able to survive that will win out.

That's just me waffling on trying to explain my 'trial and improvement' idea.
    You're making the mistake that every trait has to have a purpose or an evolutionary advantage - it doesn't. It just has to not be disadvantegous enough to die out.

This is true in the short term, in the long term though, only the fittest survive. Which is why in the long term the trait of homosexuality will mean that creature is at a disadvantage to the creature with the trait of heterosexuality.

I was trying to say that my evolutionary argument doesn't affect whether a gay person is a twat or a lovely person, in a nutshell. That they're not some 'abnormality'. I was saying that homosexuality as a genetic trait will mean that it will continually die out, that there is no need for it in the long term.
    Every gay person I know has had abuse at some point for their sexuality.

Every gay person I know has never had abuse for their sexuality. However, I agree it still does occur - which is much more the issue than arguing over evolution. I've suffered abuse for my race, I'm white middle class, but it only happened the once and I can get on with my life perfectly. I'd imagine most places a gay person went (within reason) that they wouldn't experience people sneering or trying to lynch them. But more on this below...

To be honest, we're never going to be alive long enough to see anything evolve, so in a sense it's pointless arguing over that. I simply wish to disagree with people when they say that the 'gay gene' is just the same as the blue eyed gene, completed inconsequential, just another variation. Because the gay gene, following the 'trial and improvement' process, will always lead to the species dying out. So in a strictly biological sense, it isn't 'harmless'.

Having said that, I'm fairly certain I've got genes that are going to make me predisposed to cancer, whereas according to my theory of trial and improvement this damages the survivability of the creature (me, and all my offspring) and hence we will eventually die out / genes be replaced by healthier ones in the genepool. This however is a bit of a funny one, because cancer doesn't set in till old age and so I would have ample time to reproduce and pass on my 'imperfect' genes.

I've considered this before, and I think I disagree in a way that there is no perfect being. The way we evolve, is to try, to survive or fail. The survivors are the best, and then they try, and survive or fail. However, given a very strict set of circumstances of environment etc., I believe that given a hell of a lot of information (almost infinite) you could design a 'perfect' creature. In a sense it's like Isaac Newton, who believed if you knew every variable, you could predict the future. Although this is practically impossible, there is no such thing as truly random, everything is cause and event. If this is homosexuality, then the consequence is the species will die out.
    Jim V wrote:
    However, it's always difficult when someone who isn't persecuted for something thinks the persecution doesn't exsist, or is no longer as bad as it was. People do still get the shit kicked out of them for being gay, even killed as in the case of David Morley, and young men like Anthony Walker still get bludgeoned to death with an axe just for being black.

This is what concerns me mainly. Maybe I'm not being fair, because I'm not gay. But then in all fairness, how do you measure the level of bigotry in society? The level of discrimination? I acknowledge it exists, but I think the media plays it up to an extent. In the pass 10 years there are very few racist or homophibic events I've witnessed. Maybe it's because I'm white and straight? But my best friend when I was young was Indian/African (mum from India dad from Kenya) and hanging out with him... I can't recall any times. The only time I can remember is the one time where some boys were shouting racial abuse at me, although I wasn't with him then.

So, I don't think it's as bad as it was, in the 50s or the 60s. Maybe I'm wrong, but from the people I see around me - my age, my generation - attitudes have changed. Maybe?
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I see your point but because no one can actually prove anything, like what was before everything we can theoretically prove? That's why I'll only have an open mind to whatever any human can tell me or try to prove.
    Theories are just guesses on what we can see and work out, what if everything we theoretically prove was put to us as a test to see what we'd come up with? No one can prove if everything's just a guessing game or not.
    Anything anyone says is all based on evidence they see, who/what put that evidence there from the very beginning and what was there before the beginning? And I'm not even religous!

The worst thing is what was there before the universe? It must have come from somewhere... But then conversely, if it is constant, what if there was nothing, and everything was always just nothing? What is nothing?

Ugh, gets me uptight everytime.

But I see what you're saying. However we can be fairly certain with pretty good evidence (for example, selective breeding) that traits are inherited, and so it follows that animals adapt through generations to their surroundings, hence they evolve, and you just follow it backwards really.

Another scary thought. Where did the first living cell come from?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    Where did the first living cell come from?

My left testicle.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    The worst thing is what was there before the universe? It must have come from somewhere... But then conversely, if it is constant, what if there was nothing, and everything was always just nothing? What is nothing?

Ugh, gets me uptight everytime.

But I see what you're saying. However we can be fairly certain with pretty good evidence (for example, selective breeding) that traits are inherited, and so it follows that animals adapt through generations to their surroundings, hence they evolve, and you just follow it backwards really.

Another scary thought. Where did the first living cell come from?
    that's my point, the pretty good evidence you mention, what created the beginning of it? The only thing stopping me from being athiest is what was before what we know?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yerascrote wrote:
    My left testicle.

What, isn't the right one working? :p

First living cell, who knows? Who indeed even cares? We're here now, that should be more of an issue.

Anyway. My view is, Gay Sex is no more un-natural than having sex with a girl for pleasure and using a birth control procedure. Neither procreate, and both are soley for pleasure.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    I was trying to say that my evolutionary argument doesn't affect whether a gay person is a twat or a lovely person, in a nutshell. That they're not some 'abnormality'. I was saying that homosexuality as a genetic trait will mean that it will continually die out, that there is no need for it in the long term.
    That's quite a bold statement to make. There have been plenty of studies into the possible reasons for homosexual behaviour.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Theories are just guesses on what we can see and work out,

Errrr...no.

I understand your point that nothing is 100% proved, but theories are not "just guesses".
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    It doesn't have to, but I just think when life evolved that sex came about because species that shared genes rather than copied them were more effective at surviving. Hence procreation allowed more complex forms of life.

All well and good as far as it goes, but is woefully inadequate in describing the human experience of sex.
    ShyBoy wrote:
    No point discussion over this point.

:confused:
    ShyBoy wrote:
    The way I understand evolution is that it is an iteritive process. 'Trial and improvement' if you will. There will never be a 'perfect' solution. But by and large, the genepool tends towards a more efficient 'build'. Some things may have no purpose, but in this case they won't usually propogate through the gene pool, will fade out as being redundant / unneccessary traits.

Things do just need to be good enough to survive, but out of two creatures, one can just survive, and one can do it very effectively, give them 100 million years and with all the random things that can happen to disrupt the environment, it will be the creature that is more able to survive that will win out.

If something has no purpose yet is not disadvantageous to survival, how will it "fade out"?

ShyBoy wrote:
    That's just me waffling on trying to explain my 'trial and improvement' idea.

:confused:
    ShyBoy wrote:
    This is true in the short term, in the long term though, only the fittest survive. Which is why in the long term the trait of homosexuality will mean that creature is at a disadvantage to the creature with the trait of heterosexuality.

ShyBoy wrote:

There you go againm talking about "need" as if evolution has some grand plan - it doesn't, that's not how it works.

ShyBoy wrote:
    Every gay person I know has never had abuse for their sexuality. However, I agree it still does occur - which is much more the issue than arguing over evolution. I've suffered abuse for my race, I'm white middle class, but it only happened the once and I can get on with my life perfectly. I'd imagine most places a gay person went (within reason) that they wouldn't experience people sneering or trying to lynch them. But more on this below...

To be honest, we're never going to be alive long enough to see anything evolve, so in a sense it's pointless arguing over that. I simply wish to disagree with people when they say that the 'gay gene' is just the same as the blue eyed gene, completed inconsequential, just another variation. Because the gay gene, following the 'trial and improvement' process, will always lead to the species dying out. So in a strictly biological sense, it isn't 'harmless'.

Having said that, I'm fairly certain I've got genes that are going to make me predisposed to cancer, whereas according to my theory of trial and improvement this damages the survivability of the creature (me, and all my offspring) and hence we will eventually die out / genes be replaced by healthier ones in the genepool. This however is a bit of a funny one, because cancer doesn't set in till old age and so I would have ample time to reproduce and pass on my 'imperfect' genes.

I've considered this before, and I think I disagree in a way that there is no perfect being. The way we evolve, is to try, to survive or fail. The survivors are the best, and then they try, and survive or fail. However, given a very strict set of circumstances of environment etc., I believe that given a hell of a lot of information (almost infinite) you could design a 'perfect' creature. In a sense it's like Isaac Newton, who believed if you knew every variable, you could predict the future. Although this is practically impossible, there is no such thing as truly random, everything is cause and event. If this is homosexuality, then the consequence is the species will die out.

This is what concerns me mainly. Maybe I'm not being fair, because I'm not gay. But then in all fairness, how do you measure the level of bigotry in society? The level of discrimination? I acknowledge it exists, but I think the media plays it up to an extent. In the pass 10 years there are very few racist or homophibic events I've witnessed. Maybe it's because I'm white and straight? But my best friend when I was young was Indian/African (mum from India dad from Kenya) and hanging out with him... I can't recall any times. The only time I can remember is the one time where some boys were shouting racial abuse at me, although I wasn't with him then.

So, I don't think it's as bad as it was, in the 50s or the 60s. Maybe I'm wrong, but from the people I see around me - my age, my generation - attitudes have changed. Maybe?

Can't be bothered to reply to this waffle, except to say that there isn't a "gay gene".
  • Options
    There's been a lot to indicate that there might be. How else do you explain "gay from birth", and the inability to change, even when the desire is present?

For the record, I think yerascrote asked earlier, I know a lot of (non religious, just to make that clear) homosexuals who have said that if there were a pill to make them straight, they'd take it. So I think a "cure" would not be rejected by some members of the homosexual community, for want of a better term.
  • Options
    May I ask whether these friends were happy, had come fully out of the closet to everyone, including their family, workmates etc, and were or had been in homosexual relationships.

The only reason I can think for a non-religious person to want to change their sexual orientation is because they feel they are are being ostracised and discriminated against by those amongst them and society.

In which case we should be inventing a pill to cure bigotry, prejudice and ignorance, not homosexuality.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    For the record, I think yerascrote asked earlier, I know a lot of (non religious, just to make that clear) homosexuals who have said that if there were a pill to make them straight, they'd take it.

I know literally many dozens of gay people and not one has ever said they would take a 'straight' pill ....
    Aladdin wrote:
    The only reason I can think for a non-religious person to want to change their sexual orientation is because they feel they are are being ostracised and discriminated against by those amongst them and society.

In which case we should be inventing a pill to cure bigotry, prejudice and ignorance, not homosexuality.

I would agree with that ... its the bigots that need the pill.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    I know literally many dozens of gay people and not one has ever said they would take a 'straight' pill ....
    Yeah I know quite a few and they're all very happy gay people :D

On the other hand I have come across a few people over the years who said they wished they were gay.
  • Options
    I'm not saying there aren't people that are happy being gay. Just that I know people who would take the "straight pill" if it existed. As far as I know the society they exist in primarily is accepting of their orientation.
  • Options
    Have you talked to your friends about their reason for wanting to be straight? Do you have any idea what might be behind their wishes? Just curious as to their motives...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Have you talked to your friends about their reason for wanting to be straight? Do you have any idea what might be behind their wishes? Just curious as to their motives...
    It's bound to be the way society make them feel.
  • Options
    You're probably right on some levels Vicky, but maybe it's just a subconcious desire to be "normal". I don't really know, I don't know them well enough to ask tbh. It wasn't meant to be a topic for debate, just that even when people are apparently comfortable and confident and active in their sexuality, doesn't mean that they wouldn't accept a "cure".

Anyone seen X-men 3? Because the mutant cure there could be comparable, some want it and some don't, and not even necessarily because of society, just because of their own thoughts and feelings.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You're probably right on some levels Vicky, but maybe it's just a subconcious desire to be "normal". I don't really know, I don't know them well enough to ask tbh. It wasn't meant to be a topic for debate, just that even when people are apparently comfortable and confident and active in their sexuality, doesn't mean that they wouldn't accept a "cure".

Anyone seen X-men 3? Because the mutant cure there could be comparable, some want it and some don't, and not even necessarily because of society, just because of their own thoughts and feelings.
    If society made them normal then the issues wouldn't be there. Or do you think that even if society accepted them 100% that they still might feel like that? Things have come a long way though but I doubt it will ever be accepted fully.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Things have come a long way though but I doubt it will ever be accepted fully.

I dont see why not, its been totally acceptable in society before, it can be again.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    I dont see why not, its been totally acceptable in society before, it can be again.
    But when it was acceptable before, was it unacceptable before that? Sorry if that doesn't make sense!
    I don't think it ever will be again because once something becomes like it has, then generations pass their thoughts onto their children etc. I reckon it would be hard to filter that out, even though obviously not everyone will be influenced by their parents but a lot will.
    In Jamaica, for instance, gay people get hunted down and even killed, still in this day and age.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    But when it was acceptable before, was it unacceptable before that? Sorry if that doesn't make sense!
    I don't think it ever will be again because once something becomes like it has, then generations pass their thoughts onto their children etc. I reckon it would be hard to filter that out, even though obviously not everyone will be influenced by their parents but a lot will.
    In Jamaica, for instance, gay people get hunted down and even killed, still in this day and age.

I can see your point, and we've actually accepted asylum seekers from Jamaica for that very reason.

Of course people will always do that annoyingly human thing of not liking people who are different, but what people consider 'different' changes. I'm not suggesting that we will get to a utopia where there are no bigots, but I can see it becoming less and less of a thing to get worked up about.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    There's been a lot to indicate that there might be. How else do you explain "gay from birth", and the inability to change, even when the desire is present?

Genetics doesn't work like that though. There is no one gene for behaviours and identities as complex as sexuality - and genetic researchers don't claim there is. There is an interaction between different genes and environment. There is not "a gay gene" - that's a media simplification/myth.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Thoughts and feelings do not exist in a vacuum - they will always be contingent on culture and society.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    I can see your point, and we've actually accepted asylum seekers from Jamaica for that very reason.

Of course people will always do that annoyingly human thing of not liking people who are different, but what people consider 'different' changes. I'm not suggesting that we will get to a utopia where there are no bigots, but I can see it becoming less and less of a thing to get worked up about.
    Agreed, there will always be people that don't like different people, whether it's ginger hair to people that are gay. Things are changing and getting better, that can only be a good thing.

I didn't know we were accepting asylum seekers for that reason. Apparently they see ginger people as the devil too...
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    We've arrived at a wonderful point in time where you can be openly gay, go out to gay clubs, kiss other gays in the street, without being lynched. So people should enjoy it, rather than say making sure they have everyones approval first. Not pointing to everyone in this thread, just whenever this argument comes about theres always some like that. It's the same for racism too, and women. Grrr, someone I know takes it far too far with women.
    Only in 'gay' areas does it seem safe to kiss a member of the same sex in the street imo.