Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Beckham- £128m

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
That's what L.A. Galaxy 'soccer' club is paying him for a 5- year contract

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6248835.stm

Has the world gone mad? :eek: :D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, yes it has. Obviously just doing it for the money as he could have played top class football in a number of European Leagues, but instead he's chosen to go to the USA....i can't even name a handful of teams over there, yet a lone players!
  • Options
    He's done europe. Maybe he wanted to try something new? It's not like he needs the money is it?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    He's done europe. Maybe he wanted to try something new? It's not like he needs the money is it?

He coulda went to Soth America, Africa...

Instead, he went to the US for the money and so that Posh could feel at home with Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan. I wonder how long it'll be before she's pictured falling out a limo, looking like Robert Downey Jr after a night in, wearing a mini-skirt with nae undercrackers?

Although, this is Beckham. It could be him falling out the limo in a miniskirt.
  • Options
    To be fair, for 128 million quid I'd be happy playing for Baghdad United.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    To be fair, for 128 million quid I'd be happy playing for Baghdad United.

is that some kind of oxymoron?
  • Options
    Fair play to him, best move he could make though him and his mrs have been plannning this for a while. Even though I'm an Arsenal fan, Beckham has always been my fave player
  • Options
    Well I suppose he's got to go somewhere that still actually thinks he's a good player. Any player with any desire wouldn't go from one of Europe's best teams to a team that would struggle to stay in the Championship for any amount of money.
  • Options
    why give him a new contract and all that money when hes nearly at the end of his career. i dont think he deserves that much money just for playin football its stupid im not too fond of the beckhams neway lol
  • Options
    Most of that money is tied up in image rights and merchandise- fair enough that he gets the financial benefit of the brand he's spent fifteen years creating.

It's a lot of money, but compared to many people in US Sport, its nothing. Look at what Tiger Woods gets for walking round a field with a stick.
  • Options
    He's done it for the money??? Who are you kidding??
    Why would he move for money, he's set for life.

Think its an excellent move for him and can understand totally why he's done it. He loves his football, he's not a player who chases the money and doesn't give a fuck about the football, he wants to play and he wants to play regularly, otherwise he would IMO have stayerd at real madrid.

He's already set an academy up for youngsters in LA and is going over there to try and get more people in America to play the sport.

I say fair play to him and I hope it works out for him.

Also, I think when you love football as much as Beckham does, stepping from Man U where he should be considered a legend, to Real Madrid arguably the biggest team in Europe, you don't want then to start playing for Newcastle, Bolton etc.. I think he's had to get away from Europe and with the academy hes set up in America that seems the best move IMO.

ETA - This massive figure is all centered around his image rights if I remember correctly, so if "brand Backham" doesn't sell then he won't earn that amount. He's got shares in LA Galaxy as part of the deal, something to do with bigger attendances he gets a cut etc.. I THINK lol
  • Options
    He coulda went to Soth America, Africa...

Instead, he went to the US for the money and so that Posh could feel at home with Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan. I wonder how long it'll be before she's pictured falling out a limo, looking like Robert Downey Jr after a night in, wearing a mini-skirt with nae undercrackers?

Although, this is Beckham. It could be him falling out the limo in a miniskirt.

:lol::lol::lol:

There is no doubt in my mind that Scientology Cruise is involved, too.
  • Options
    Also, I think when you love football as much as Beckham does, stepping from Man U where he should be considered a legend, to Real Madrid arguably the biggest team in Europe, you don't want then to start playing for Newcastle, Bolton etc..

You say that he wouldn't want to start playing for a team like Newcastle or Bolton, yet his gone to a team that's only been in existance for 12 years? I doubt many, if any teams in English football would want him now any way.

Becks is the most overrated player ever and his never done anything for England apart from scoring those goals in France 98 against Colombia and against Greece in the 2002 WC qualifier. He can only take free kicks (he doesn't even score that many from them) and corners. He cannot take on players and he cannot takle. If his so good then why is he on the bench at Real?

He wants to go there to get the US more interested in "soccer" and do things with his football academy, well it won't work, the US isn't a footballing nation.

I blame it on his blood sucking alien looking wife.
  • Options
    Beckham was a fantastic player for Manchester United, and is considered a legend amongst many of the fans. He wasn't over-rated during his time there anyway. Without him, Man United may not have won the treble in '99 and he played a major role in other league titles too. Fergie sold him at the right time though, as his Real Madrid career proves. £25m seems like good business now.

He's going to the USA for commercial interest, but I still expect him to give his all to the football team. I dont think he'll be the last fading star to head out there either, especially with that kind of money to be made. He's just set the trend.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    You say that he wouldn't want to start playing for a team like Newcastle or Bolton, yet his gone to a team that's only been in existance for 12 years? I doubt many, if any teams in English football would want him now any way.
    Ha! I bet just about every team in the premiership except the top four of Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal would have him, If there was any way of finding out this I would put money on it thats for sure.
    Becks is the most overrated player ever and his never done anything for England apart from scoring those goals in France 98 against Colombia and against Greece in the 2002 WC qualifier. He can only take free kicks (he doesn't even score that many from them) and corners. He cannot take on players and he cannot takle. If his so good then why is he on the bench at Real?
    Ha! Once again. He's an absolutely quality player coming to the end of his career, instead of trying to mix it with big boys when maybe he's fading away doesn't interest him by the looks of it. How anyone can argue he's shit is beyond belief.
  • Options
    TBH I don't care if he has gone for the money, it's not like he's just starting out on a glorious international career. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    TBH I don't care if he has gone for the money, it's not like he's just starting out on a glorious international career. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    He's there to sell t-shirts and other assorted crap with his name on, he isnt there to play football (well OK he is, but thats only a small part of it).
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    Becks is the most overrated player ever

Yeah, and the Pope's Jewish.

My ABU stance is well-documented, but even I'm not stupid enough to say that Beckham is over-rated and crap.

I don't think he's just gone for the money (although it helps)- he has nothing to prove in England, and playing for a two-bit team like Newcastle or Bolton would just ruin his name.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yeah, and the Pope's Jewish.

My ABU stance is well-documented, but even I'm not stupid enough to say that Beckham is over-rated and crap.

I don't think he's just gone for the money (although it helps)- he has nothing to prove in England, and playing for a two-bit team like Newcastle or Bolton would just ruin his name.

Agreed.

Back in his glory-days of Man United, there were few better. His work rate, passing, crossing, committment and vision were up there with the best in the world.

Yes he has nothing left to prove in England or indeed Europe. If he moves to America, he will be the centre of attention and will still have the quality to be one of the best players in the country whereas if he went anywhere else in Europe, that wouldn't happen. There might be a bit of a hoo haa when he arrived but it would soon die down and, being not as good as he once was, would probably become marginalised quickly and end his career in a most unglorious fashion.

He also has his soccer academy in LA aswell which makes sense.
  • Options
    You don't come 2nd in World Player of the year (only losing out to Rivaldo) for no reason.

The best thing about Beckham was that he had his finest season when every England fan in the country booed his every touch, and abused him at every game. Sound familiar?
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    The best thing about Beckham was that he had his finest season when every England fan in the country booed his every touch, and abused him at every game. Sound familiar?
    Some people deserve it, just coincidence they play for the Scumbags.
  • Options
    Some people deserve it, just coincidence they play for the Scumbags.

Yea, sure.

As if Beckham deserved death threats and to have cancer wished on his kids. Yea, he really got his just deserts from those magnanimous England fans. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Yea, sure.

As if Beckham deserved death threats and to have cancer wished on his kids. Yea, he really got his just deserts from those magnanimous England fans. :rolleyes:
    hehe, I said some people deserve it, quoting the bit where you mentioned being booed at every touch and abused at every game, NOT about death threats and cancer, so get a grip boyo.
    Also if Beckham had of played for another club at the time he would have got exactly the same treatment imo, so wind ur scummy neck in.
  • Options
    It wouldn't be a day with a Y in it without some Man Utd fan bleating on about how everyone hates them and its only because we're all jealous. It's not the arrogance and hypocrisy of them (lets sing songs about the fire and then whinge like little girls when people start singing songs about Munich), oh no.

Beckham, like his replacement in the number 7 shirt, got the abuse for being a smug cheating twat.
  • Options
    hehe, I said some people deserve it, quoting the bit where you mentioned being booed at every touch and abused at every game, NOT about death threats and cancer, so get a grip boyo.
    Also if Beckham had of played for another club at the time he would have got exactly the same treatment imo, so wind ur scummy neck in.

Touchy.

Bollocks anyway, England fans hate United. You don't hear them singing "stand up if you hate spurs" at international games. I'm not playing the bleating victim card - I couldn't give two fucks what the mindless cunts sing, I'm just stating what happens. If anything, I enjoy the fickle hatred England fans show towards United and the players. It usually comes back and smacks them square in the face. Keep those boos coming.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Touchy.

Bollocks anyway, England fans hate United. You don't hear them singing "stand up if you hate spurs" at international games. I'm not playing the bleating victim card - I couldn't give two fucks what the mindless cunts sing, I'm just stating what happens. If anything, I enjoy the fickle hatred England fans show towards United and the players. It usually comes back and smacks them square in the face. Keep those boos coming.
    Touchy?? Hehe, I was laughing all way through writing that last message.

Do you think they picked on Becks cos he played for scum?? If I remember he stupidly got himself sent off against the Argies in a major international tournament?? Or did I dream that?? Or is it the same crap being spouted by scum fans who actually want it to be because he played for the scum so they can bleat on about how everyone hates them?? hmmmmm :chin:
  • Options
    People hated Cristiano Ronaldo long before the summer. They hated him because he was a diving cunt. The same reason that they hated van Nistlerooy, Didier Drogba, Andy Johnson, Robert Pires, Arjen Robben and any number of other players. Obviously players that play for the top clubs are going to get more media coverage, so they're gonna get booed the most, but don't think it's any special treatment for Man Utd players. I don't see anyone booing Giggs or Scholes, for example.
  • Options
    Touchy?? Hehe, I was laughing all way through writing that last message.

Do you think they picked on Becks cos he played for scum?? If I remember he stupidly got himself sent off against the Argies in a major international tournament?? Or did I dream that?? Or is it the same crap being spouted by scum fans who actually want it to be because he played for the scum so they can bleat on about how everyone hates them?? hmmmmm :chin:

Are you still denying that alot of England fans hate Man United, and that this hatred may have led to an over the top reaction e.g. deaths threats, and children cancer jibes. The poor distraught England fans need their scapegoat and a United player is better than most.

Playing for United wasn't the sole reason Beckham was booed, but it certainly accentuated the reaction, without a doubt. A hate figure at Man United is the tabloid's dream, and all the sheep feed right into it.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Are you still denying that alot of England fans hate Man United, and that this hatred may have led to an over the top reaction e.g. deaths threats, and children cancer jibes. The poor distraught England fans need their scapegoat and a United player is better than most.

Playing for United wasn't the sole reason Beckham was booed, but it certainly accentuated the reaction, without a doubt. A hate figure at Man United is the tabloid's dream, and all the sheep feed right into it.
    Get the "everyone hates us and we don't care" blinkers off!!

I didn't see Rooney getting abused etc. after the World Cup and if what your saying is spot on then he most definately would, you not agree??

Becks got the abuse he deserved after getting sent off for being a prick in a major international tournament against the Argies.
    If a Scouse player had of done the same I reckon he would have come in for the same kind of abuse, just unfortunate a lot of the nobs play for your team.
  • Options
    Get the "everyone hates us and we don't care" blinkers off!!

I didn't see Rooney getting abused etc. after the World Cup and if what your saying is spot on then he most definately would, you not agree??

No, because they had a more suitable scapegoat in Ronaldo, it's really quite simple. They weren't going to direct abuse Rooney's way, if they had Ronaldo to pick on instead. England fans need a scapegoat, just one person to direct their blame and frustration at. It beats actually admitting you're not very good after all.
    Becks got the abuse he deserved after getting sent off for being a prick in a major international tournament against the Argies.

How did he get the abuse he deserved? I don't know what way your mind works, if you think Beckham deserved that kind of reaction. Beckham didn't lose England the World Cup. He was nothing but a scapegoat. You don't see France fans burning effigies of Zidane, and wishing cancer on his kids. In fact he was given a hero's welcome in his country, after being sent off in a fucking final! Beckham deserved none of that shite from those idiots and I don't know how anyone with half a brain cell could condone it.

If a Scouse player had of done the same I reckon he would have come in for the same kind of abuse, just unfortunate a lot of the nobs play for your team.

If that's what you reckon, fair enough. I don't agree.