Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Remote access

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok *cracks fingers*

Ive been away for a while but now im back with thesite :)

So here goes one of my questions again

I need a program that will share my computer(desktop) using my IP address so that i can access it at school.

NOW heres the catch

As its at school it must NOT require any sort of installation (including active X stuff) or on the pc at ALL.

I want to access it via webpage.

Its a long shot but im wondering if its possible

Comments

• Options
    Assuming it has to be on port 80, standard ports etc. etc.

If you can't install, can't you take a vnc viewer or remote desktop exe in on a USB memory stick and run it off that?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Someone mentioned this site somewhere:
    https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp
    I've not looked around at it, but it seems to do what you want. Can't say how secure it is though.
  • Options
    You may have trouble if you can't install anything. Most sharing stuff that I know of needs either a program that will use a port that's most likely firewalled off at schools, or would need a web app installing.

Unless you can find some kind of java based thing.
  • Options
    Porky_StalkerPorky_Stalker Posts: 108 The Mix Convert
    If its like most schools, you wont be able to run .exe files that aren't on their approved list - you could rename the program your trying to use to one on their list, but if you get caught.. you will probably get into trouble, thats what the kids usually try and do at my school. until i catch them! :)

Anyway VNC has a web (java) based viewer, set vnc server up on your machine, make sure use java/web viewer is enabled in the settings.

At school type your home computers ip followed by the port 5800 : HOME IP:5800

That should load the java viewer to let you view your home computer - without installing anything. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses , basically forgot about my thread then went and tested some stuff.

I used remotely anywhere to test it , the firs t time i had it on port 2000 but then realised it wouldnt work because the proxy blocks everything except port 80 , i then set it to port 80 but it still had to use the secure thing so it tried using port 443 basically but the server also dissallows that, ill give VNC a try and see what i can do though

Cheers
  • Options
    Why do you have to use your computer @ school anyway!

You should be working!!!
  • Options
    Id work a lot more efficiently without BESS filter.