Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Choices for 6th form.. Help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I satrt 6th form next year.. and I'm having trouble chosing my subjects. I know for definate that I'm going to take french (being bilingual I already speak it) and photography, because it's something that has always interested me, and I would like to take it further, although I know it's hard to get into it. I'm almost definately going to take English, but I can't decide on a fourth. I may take 5 at first, then drop the one i dislike the most after a month or so..
There are a few i'd like to consider : Biology, Ethics and Philosophy (although I'm not sure any more), Art, and Communications.
I'm mostly stuck between communications and biology. I enjoy art, but decided I don't think I really want to take it any further. Been there, done that. As for communications, I think it would be a great help as i'm pretty crap at communicating and talking, also I've been told biology is a good one to have for psychology, along with english..
Anyone taking any of these subject? are any of them a bad choice???
Help :nervous:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If you're bilingual then the work you'll have to put into A level French is minimal, so my advice would be to take both Biology and Communications to AS. I don't know anything about either, but if you think they both sound interesting/useful I'd say to give them both a try. I think you'll have plenty of time to do 5 to AS (lots of people do) and it'll give you time to decide which you'd rather carry on further, or whether you'd prefer to drop both - at least you'll have given them both a try, though.
  • Options
    wildchild wrote:
    If you're bilingual then the work you'll have to put into A level French is minimal
    Was going to be my point :o.
  • Options
    A lot of my friends tell me that a-level psycology was disappointing, and that they expected more than they got from it. So unless you need it, try something else.
  • Options
    I've heard the same thing about psychology - not that it's a bad subject but that it's a very full on course about how results are reached and the assessment of different statistical method, and analysis of results - rather than something closer to an understanding of psychiatry which I think people were expecting.
  • Options
    I'm in my first year of 6th form, and i've taken biology, psychology, sociology and english lit.
    Now, i was dissapointed in psychology at first - we did research methods which is so boring it's unreal. But i stuck with it and now it's starting to get interesting. I'm doing AQA psychology A if it helps.
    English lit is very hard, it's alot like philosophy - digging in deep to the meanings of texts and you need to develop your vocabulary alot and be able to write in a more fluent and sophisticated way. That's the hard part. The book i'm doing as my modern novel study is shit so i think it helps if you do a good book. The poetry part is good - we're studying carol ann duffys 'worlds wife' book of poems and it's very good. Lots of feminist poems.
    Biology is also tough. The work itself isn't much harder than GCSE, you're just going into more depth and it takes time to get used to it. It's also alot to remember so you need a good memory and revise from the start because it's alot to take in.
    Sociology i won't talk about because it doesn't seem it's an option for you. But i'm enjoying it alot.

But don't take my word for it, it depends alot on your teachers and the exam boards. All of mine are on AQA so what i'm doing could be very different from other boards. If you have ideas of what you might like to do after 6th form, take subjects that will be useful. Biology or any science are always good to have. It all depends what you want to do. But if you're unsure, then try to take a wide range. I'd deffinatly take french if you can already speak it, an A level language will look very good. You won't have to put much effort into french so take 5, but i'm finding 4 hard work so you may want to drop one. Alot of people in my 6th form have dropped one and are only taking 3. They are alot of work.
  • Options
    I did psychology and A Level and I hated it. It was basically one big test to see how many psychological terms you could remember and then re-lay back in an exam. It wasn't interesting and it was hard.
    If you want to take psychology as a career, then by all means do it, but if it's just a subject that sounds 'interesting' then I wouldn't bother tbh.