Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Googling people

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
f

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nothing specific to me at all. Lots about my cousin and Doctor Who though :D
    yeah, I did it once with a girl I fancied... just out of boredome... I opened firefox, front page google.. hmmm, which site to go on.. hmmm lets google for something.. hmmm <her name>.

I felt pretty stalkerish after that, because there was a lot of stuff of projects she did in school and partly essays she written back in school and lots of that jazz.

I googled my name too, and found out there is some austrian skiing new blood talent, who wins a lot of gold with exactly my name (first and family)
    :D
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Do people really post their full name on places??
    Do people really post their full name on places??

Just what I was thinking. It's not like I'm a wanted man or anything, but I would never do this...
    I wouldn't post my full name on a forum site but some people obviously do!
    I used to google people all the time for work, never found anything interesting, usually just med articles they'd published or news articles on them changing jobs or inventing some new doo dah.
    I often use my first name on things - like I have done with this forum but never my full name :confused: why would you?
    Online CV? Business website? Contact details for a project you're doing?
    no, but I've had someone google me. Not my name, but my username that I use on most things, and a load of posts I've made about the place came up, some about the person in question :blush::blush::blush:
    I definitely google myself once in a while. I get three results, only two of which are actually me...
    I've done that on forums, but the guilt afterwards got a bit too much. I just felt like such a sad being so i just closed the browser and tried to suppress the feeling :p

I just felt worse after doing that ... :(
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Just what I was thinking. It's not like I'm a wanted man or anything, but I would never do this...

Same. Just in case it ever comes back to me, haha. And just incase I ever AM a wanted man.
    I dont use my surname online ever. Its too unique in this country. I did google someones username once out of boredom and all their posts from here came up, their LJ, their faceparty, etc. I felt a bit stalkerish.
    My step-mother googled for her daughter's boyfriend. Found an article from the local paper reporting that he was charged with armed robbery.

I caught a weird boy from uni googling my name once in the library :nervous:
    I found that someone with the same name as me co directed and co wrote - The curse of the were-rabbit (wallace and gromit)
    I google people all the time! Just the other day my grandmother had a falling out with my cousin about something so I googled her when I was online and found her Myspace account and her uni cheerleading squad. I haven't laid eyes on her since she was about 14 so it was nice to see pictures of her all grown up. Acually, there's another cousin I haven't seen in years.... back in a minute!
    Googled cousin number 2 who is now 17 and one hot babe! I found her Myspace account. See, google... bringing families closer! :razz:
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Googled cousin number 2 who is now 17 and one hot babe! I found her Myspace account. See, google... bringing families closer! :razz:
    Telephones do too. ;)
    This thread just inspired me to google one of my exes. It appears he is now rich and looking rather hot [despite posing on top of mountains in his lederhosen]. It would obviously be wrong to email him and try to get back "in" :D
    no i don't think i have.:)

but i was in the library at uni the other day and a lad i liked for a bit and who gave me the impression he liked me (but has a girlfriend but anyway we still er you know) was looking for something and i saw he was reading some posts from thesite. :o
    I can't say that I've googled someone before tbh. I've accidently come across people I know on facebook, myspace, etc though.
    Your search - richard/xxxxx/xxxxxx - did not match any documents.

*shrugs*
    well my name is lucinda and when i search my full name i.e. with surname and middle name it doesn't come up with anything specifically just links related to each of my names individually. it does come up with lucinda k and then my surname and i used to get called cindy, haha (my friends have threatened to do that before!). i'm dead now though and i lived in illinois.

when i search lucy and my surname there's a girls profile on bebo. weird seeing someone else with my name!
    well my name is lucinda and when i search my full name i.e. with surname and middle name it doesn't come up with anything specifically just links related to each of my names individually. it does come up with lucinda k and then my surname and i used to get called cindy, haha (my friends have threatened to do that before!). i'm dead now though and i lived in illinois.

when i search lucy and my surname there's a girls profile on bebo. weird seeing someone else with my name!

if you put a / between them then it searches for them as a string rather than individual words. For example:

John/Michael/Smith will only return things with 'John Michael Smith', whereas John Michael Smith will return anything with John, Michael or Smith, where webpages with all three will be the highest ranked. But not necessarily together on the webpage.
    ShyBoy wrote:
    if you put a / between them then it searches for them as a string rather than individual words. For example:

John/Michael/Smith will only return things with 'John Michael Smith', whereas John Michael Smith will return anything with John, Michael or Smith, where webpages with all three will be the highest ranked. But not necessarily together on the webpage.
    Or you can put them between ". "John Michael Smith".
    lol you know you are bored when you start googling your name, unsurprisingly all that comes up when i try are references to a rather famous UK traveller who was also in monty python....
    I just found out my friend shares his name with Ludacris. Ahahaha. Cainage.
    I liked to Google my name because I have a personal website and it gave me great pleasure when I got to number one instead of some Canadian estate agent with my name. But now Google appears to have kicked me off and now I'm staring at this estate agent at no. 1 again :crying:

*Sad, I know*