Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Itchy.. down there. I'd like a bit of advice pls?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
At the beginning of december, i had what I thought was thrush, and concidered going to the doctors, but after a week of two it seemed to have cleared up so I didn't bother. However during those few weeks I changed my shower gel, from what I think is a really scented one (I bought it because it smelt nice) to sanex I think. So, I put it down to having a scented shower gel, as i remember years ago having thrush and my doctor telling me to wash down there with only water ( I think I was about 6) and gave me a cream.
Im at boarding school, and we have an onsight medical centre, but being a right wuss I'm too embarrassed to go see the nurse. I only go home during holidays. I'm thinking, if I change my shower gel, wear cotton underwear etc etc then it might disappear, and see a doctor when I go home. I know tights aren't supposed to help, but I have to wear them (damn school uniform).
Any advice pleeeeease as it's driving me crazy. Or, could it be anything else apart from thrush?? And I don't have any natural yoghurt around.. lol
Advice appreciated!!!
Thanks, Jen

Comments

• Options
    it could be thrush. Thrush doesnt always have a discharge, often it can just be sore and/or itchy.
    It is worth seeing your doctor if your not sure or buying some canestan to see if that helps. The pessarys, tablets and internal cream are better than the external cream I find.
  • Options
    Thanx. I get alot of discharge anyway, but last time i had it or think i had it, it was pretty thick. I'm guessing it is thrush. I might pluck up the courage might and go and see the school nurse.
    Thanks for the advice.:cool:

Ps, do you think my boyfriend should be checked out or use a cream or something.. i heard guys can catch it too....?
  • Options
    apparently latest advice is they dont need to be treated if they dont have any symptoms themselves, although men can definitely catch it and pass it back to you, they dont catch it as easily as women, so the fact youve got it, doesnt necessarily mean he`ll need to be treated.
    If he does have any itching or white bits on his penis, then canestan cream should clear it up fairly quickly.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi there,
    You might find these articles on thrush and thrush for men helpful.

It's usual to feel nervous about getting checked out, but its good to see you're still thinking about going to the medical centre though as they're completely used to this sort of thing and will want to put you at ease. It's the best way to completely put your mind at rest and feel confident you are using the correct treatment.

All the best. :)
  • Options
    Thanks alot. I think ill go sort it out tomorrow.. It's bugging the crap out of me..
    cheers x
  • Options
    Definatly worth getting it checked out, even if it does seem :eek: to go.

Ten minutes of embarassment (doubt it will be embarassing) to get the right things to solve the problems then you needn't worry about it again. Keep that in your mind!
  • Options
    Awesome.. goin tomorrow morning. But meanwhile, any tips so soothe the itchiness...??? It's driving me Insane!!!!!! I'm being good and not scratching though, it hurts.