Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Storylines of computergames.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have just finished Dreamfall and even tho it IS a cool story, there are many uncertainities for me. I had to restart the game and watch the beginning sequence to realize that guy in the monastery is Brian Westhouse :P

You do not know what happens in Arcadia. It seems Kian is going to court and April is dead. Zoe died too... What is this place Brian Westhouse went to, before the Undreaming caught him? He wasn't dead, that's for sure.

What is it with the endsequence, where you see the tower in marcuria with all the thunderstorm going around it. Hmmm...

In order for the thread idea I'll ask around if anyone played Deus Ex. It's an old game, 2000 around I reckon, but I fucking loved it. The story is grand. It's so cool how you can explore so many corners of the city and find lots of interesting stuff. Many many hours were spent in Neo Hong Kong (if that's what it's called), exploring the sewer, swimming around, Saving and hacking those code-panels where you have to enter a PIN to open some electronical doors, and re-loading if there is nothing interesting behind it (to not waste multi-tools :P) or spent a lot of time trying out several 4 digit codes on these panels if they were unhackable :)

I loved how you switch to the "terrorist" foundation then, because you found out they are the good one, etc.

I simply adored the game and would definitely play it again if I could get my hands on it, because I was mightily blown away by the story, playing style and stuff you could make.

anyone else played a few cool computer games he wants to talk about?

Oh yeah, and of course there is still Terranigma for the Super Nintendo. THAT'S an awesome story. In the beginning when you are still able to talk to plants and animals and later on fall into that coma and forget about that ability. When you resurrect the earth and humans inhabit the world again it seems already so distant when you could talk with the animals and plants...

How you basically started in stone age (kind of), but end up in the super techy world were Beruga wants to take over the world or something...

In the end, where you return to your hometown in the center of the earth and actually realized you played one of the "bad guys"...

I think I played games with stories more fascinating as most movies :D

Share your stories...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *spoilers*

Dreamfall was the first game to make me even slightly emotional. The last bit in the hospital, when the boyfriend (the fake boyfriend) comes back and Zoe seems to die, I actually felt quite upset.

I think the cloud around the tower was connected to the dreamer being released. There was a quick mention about dreams in Stark affecting Arcadia.

Did Westhouse kill the white dragon? Is he the prophet? The Longest Journey three is going to have to tie up a lot of loose ends...

Psychonauts had a brilliant story. So do the Grand Theft Auto games, the writing is always really sharp.
    Infinite wrote:
    *spoilers*

Dreamfall was the first game to make me even slightly emotional. The last bit in the hospital, when the boyfriend (the fake boyfriend) comes back and Zoe seems to die, I actually felt quite upset.

I think the cloud around the tower was connected to the dreamer being released. There was a quick mention about dreams in Stark affecting Arcadia.

Did Westhouse kill the white dragon? Is he the prophet? The Longest Journey three is going to have to tie up a lot of loose ends...

Psychonauts had a brilliant story. So do the Grand Theft Auto games, the writing is always really sharp.

What what what? The longest journey 3!?!?
    How is the first part called then? I think it's to assume that westhouse killed her, yea, because he was still there in the library, but why... What did happen to him in his weird world right after the beginning scene, what is the undreaming? You are right with the loose ends... I hate those kind of open story thingies.
    I really enjoyed the Legacy of Kain story. It continued from when Kain beat the hylden all the way to when he rose the sarafan knights which started a whole different chapter.
    StrubbleS wrote:
    What what what? The longest journey 3!?!?
    How is the first part called then? I think it's to assume that westhouse killed her, yea, because he was still there in the library, but why... What did happen to him in his weird world right after the beginning scene, what is the undreaming? You are right with the loose ends... I hate those kind of open story thingies.

The first one was just called 'The Longest Journey'. I haven't played it but you play as April Ryan, discovery her power to shift and cause the crash that's alluded to in Dreamfall.

The wikipedia page is great, it picks up a lot of tiny details that I missed playing through. Like Westhouse being used to awaken the undreaming and the red draic helping him.
    Infinite wrote:
    The first one was just called 'The Longest Journey'. I haven't played it but you play as April Ryan, discovery her power to shift and cause the crash that's alluded to in Dreamfall.

The wikipedia page is great, it picks up a lot of tiny details that I missed playing through. Like Westhouse being used to awaken the undreaming and the red draic helping him.

I need that game. Many thanks...

I KINDA hoped there was a prequel, because you actually have no idea what "The Collapse", "The Wire", etc is... you might pick it up, but it is never really explained.
    StrubbleS wrote:
    I need that game. Many thanks...

I KINDA hoped there was a prequel, because you actually have no idea what "The Collapse", "The Wire", etc is... you might pick it up, but it is never really explained.

I am reliable informed that you'll get a lot more out of Dreamfall's story if you play the Longest Journey. April visits a few of the same areas as Zoe, so you see what's happened to the places and people in the intervening decade.

Finding The Longest Journey might be a bit tricky, but amazon have it. Or so they claim.
    Star Wars KOTOR 1 and 2 had amazing storylines.
    I loved those games, as a big Star Wars fan anyway, but I just thought the storyline was really well thought out, fitted perfectly with all the other Star Wars films, games, books, graphic novels e.t.c and I really got into the game, you almost build up friendships with the characters on your ship, the Ebon Hawk lol, sad I know. But two brilliant games!
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    TLJ and Dreamfall are great! I just hate the gameplay of DF and the horrible cliffhanger at the end...
    Fahrenheit AKA Indigo Prophecy if you live in the States...

Max Payne storylines are pretty cool...

Hitman Blood Money ...

I'm sure there's more they're the ones that have stuck in my head so far!
    You've got to appreciate the story line of Final Fantasy VII. God I havn't played it in so long and my PS2 is broken :( I may have to search for a PC version.
    The Final Fantasy in general, I guess.

I also love the Zelda stories, though most others would say they're not that good.

Fahrenheit is great also.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Deus Ex. AMAZING. Best. Story. Ever.

Half Life has a great story, combined with brill gameplay, best game ever. I loved Black Mesa... such a brilliant setting.

KOTOR was a great story there, added to the SW universe well. KOTOR 2 has the potential to be brilliant I feel, but it was let down greatly by Obsidian and Lucasarts with that push for release on time. Ever feel the ending was crap and unfinished? It was, they removed like, a huge amount of unfinished material, botched the game together and shipped it. Also why half of it didn't work properly.

You were going to be able to go with HK-47 to the factory making all the droids and finish that part... hence all the dialouge about it. I still want to know what became of the rest of the crew... and the Ebon Hawk. ROLL ON KOTOR III! I can't wait :D
    Tetris.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

KOTOR was a great story there, added to the SW universe well. KOTOR 2 has the potential to be brilliant I feel, but it was let down greatly by Obsidian and Lucasarts with that push for release on time. Ever feel the ending was crap and unfinished? It was, they removed like, a huge amount of unfinished material, botched the game together and shipped it. Also why half of it didn't work properly.

You were going to be able to go with HK-47 to the factory making all the droids and finish that part... hence all the dialouge about it. I still want to know what became of the rest of the crew... and the Ebon Hawk. ROLL ON KOTOR III! I can't wait :D

Yeah true, I still think it was a damn good game with a good storyline but it could have been SO much better. Yeah there were so many faults, it would always crash, espescially Goto's ship, that level was FUCKED on my game.
    The bit that pissed me off was when the newly formed Council (which YOU helped re-form) basically tell you to fuck off and try and cut you off from the force, even if you don't decide to kill them. The Jedi you found through the game were always complimenting you and saying how they were stupid to have thrown you out of the order and understand you e.t.c and that they were wrong about everything and then at the end they say they were right all along. Even if you don't kill them, Kreia does, and then you're forced to go and fuck her up. This pissed me off because when I played the game the second time on the Light side, I wanted to join up with the council again. Also how crap was the Malachor 5 level before you went into the Trayus academy?
    Yes roll on KOTOR 3 indeed, you reckon they'll actually make it?
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Yeah true, I still think it was a damn good game with a good storyline but it could have been SO much better. Yeah there were so many faults, it would always crash, espescially Goto's ship, that level was FUCKED on my game.
    The bit that pissed me off was when the newly formed Council (which YOU helped re-form) basically tell you to fuck off and try and cut you off from the force, even if you don't decide to kill them. The Jedi you found through the game were always complimenting you and saying how they were stupid to have thrown you out of the order and understand you e.t.c and that they were wrong about everything and then at the end they say they were right all along. Even if you don't kill them, Kreia does, and then you're forced to go and fuck her up. This pissed me off because when I played the game the second time on the Light side, I wanted to join up with the council again. Also how crap was the Malachor 5 level before you went into the Trayus academy?
    Yes roll on KOTOR 3 indeed, you reckon they'll actually make it?

They said they were making KOTOR3... well Lucasarts did. I hope it's Bioware again!

I think the whole fact there was one ending and the council bit is probably because of it's rushed-ness. I doubt we'll never know what could have been, I don't think they got that far in the development anyway. The ending sucked - I did they same, played as Light Side, only to find the VERY SAME ENDING. At least KOTOR had different endings ffs. The whole fact that it made little difference if you were light or dark... frustrating. And that you HAD to kill her - no options! You couldn't even leave and blow the planet up, trust me, I tried... I though it might be another option, but no. Not allowed.

Malachor 5 level - it was a bit pants, but I liked the part with Remote. It was meant to have a part where HK-47 came along with a bunch of HK-51 droids from the factory making them - he would have convinced them to join him - and you chose weather to side with G0-T0 or Remote. But that was cut too.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Deus Ex. AMAZING. Best. Story. Ever.

Half Life has a great story, combined with brill gameplay, best game ever. I loved Black Mesa... such a brilliant setting.

Agreed. When Half Life 1 came out. EACH DAY I've been to a friends and we played HL taking turns. Right when we came home from school until I had to go home :D We re-loaded so often times, because we wanted to go as good as it gets through ambushes. With good health and good ammo.

Deus Ex: Agree. Like in my OP. It's really amazing.
    I wonder what Deus Ex 2 is like :chin: even tho I heard it should be a lot worse then the first part.

I agree with Max Payne too. At that time I wasn't so well-versed with the english language and I LOVED to write all those slang words out on a sheet of paper and impress my english teacher with it in essays :D I loved the comic style storyline as well.
    StrubbleS wrote:
    Agreed. When Half Life 1 came out. EACH DAY I've been to a friends and we played HL taking turns. Right when we came home from school until I had to go home :D We re-loaded so often times, because we wanted to go as good as it gets through ambushes. With good health and good ammo.

Deus Ex: Agree. Like in my OP. It's really amazing.
    I wonder what Deus Ex 2 is like :chin: even tho I heard it should be a lot worse then the first part.

I agree with Max Payne too. At that time I wasn't so well-versed with the english language and I LOVED to write all those slang words out on a sheet of paper and impress my english teacher with it in essays :D I loved the comic style storyline as well.

IT IS NOT DEUS EX 2. Ion Storm said this!

Deus Ex: Invisible War :p hehe. It is rather much not as good. It is ALOT ALOT ALOT shorter. The levels are TINY because it was on Xbox. The graphics are, erm, alright. It is however, a fun run and shoot stuff game. There are lots of endings, however, it don't matter how you play the story, you can change your aleigance at the end anyway. So one saved game at the end, and then you can do all the endings by loading it and see them all.

It is a good game in its own right. No doubt it would have been perceived as even better, was it not the sequel to Deus Ex. However, it has flaws, there is NO xp system, just a bunch of bio mods, of which you aquire like, 9 million through the game so can change on a whim by halfway through.

Although, I must say, Bot Domination is FUCKING FUN.
    Another one:

Grim Fandango.
    I'd agree with Final Fantasy VII. One of the best I've played, and it just totally draws you in. You become totally immersed in the game and what's going on.

On the flipside some of the worst story lines I've had in a game are the Metal Gear series. It's a shame because it's an absolutely fantastic game to play, but the plot just gets ridiculous at times, and really confusing. It really pissed me off sometimes how they over-conplicated things in Metal Gear. I would have been happy enough taking out cunts, and destroying warheads, without all the added mumbo jumbo.
    Addict wrote:
    On the flipside some of the worst story lines I've had in a game are the Metal Gear series. It's a shame because it's an absolutely fantastic game to play, but the plot just gets ridiculous at times, and really confusing. It really pissed me off sometimes how they over-conplicated things in Metal Gear. I would have been happy enough taking out cunts, and destroying warheads, without all the added mumbo jumbo.
    Really?
    I've only played Twin Snakes, but I'm the opposite: Loved the story, hated the gameplay.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Marathon on the Mac. Came out in 94 a year after Doom, but was far superior in every way. Created by Bungie who later went on to create Halo which has similarities to. It was dark, moody, and created and excellent atmosphere not too disimilar to the films Alien and Aliens.
    The first Halo also has a good story, though I was disapointed with the second.

Then there's Zelda: A Link To The Past. Superb story, and one of my favourite games when I was younger.
    Weekender Offender 
    Did anyone ever play the Oddworld games? I used to love those games and the storylines.
    Addict wrote:
    Did anyone ever play the Oddworld games? I used to love those games and the storylines.
    I've played Abe's Odyssey and Exoddus, the ones that came out before the company sold its soul to the devil. They were great, pity that thing happened.
    the shenmue series has a pretty good story
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

Malachor 5 level - it was a bit pants, but I liked the part with Remote. It was meant to have a part where HK-47 came along with a bunch of HK-51 droids from the factory making them - he would have convinced them to join him - and you chose weather to side with G0-T0 or Remote. But that was cut too.

I always wondered why they showed GO-TO confronting your remote and then nothing ever coming of it, I was expecting a show down. Also, before you go to Malachor, it shows a video of you talking to Carth and promising him that you will tell him what you find about what happened to Revan, you never actually get to tell him and see his and Bastilla's reactions.
    I hope Bioware make it aswell, but if I still think it should be a good game either way. I can't wait personally, hopefully there are some other decent Star Wars RPG's coming out sooner. Bioware are making that 'Mass Effect' which looks really good, but at the end of the day, it's just not Star Wars.
    Sorry, to bring my ancient old thread up, but I think it has still relevance and it's not necessary to create a new one as it's pretty timeless. You can just pick up telling your latest compgame stories.

*SPOILER AHEAD*

Has anyone of you played "Prey"? Jesus Christ I loved that game and the story. Basically you are an Indian (the north American ones, you know) and the story pics up with you peeing or something and checking yourself in a pub mirror. A pub in a reservation, owned by your gramps or something, but you're having none of it, running around in leather jacket etc. When suddenly there is a loud noise outside and the whole roof is torn off by some giant 'light' (like a tractor beam) from a huuuuge ufo. You find yourself in some kind of strapped down rollercoaster seat waiting for your slaughter, but you can free yourself, just to see your gramps get slaughtered. turns out those aliens plant life on planets and harvest them thousand upon thousand years later for their food. A big quest starts to save your girlfriend and stop the alien menace.

Awesome game. Even has different endings as I recall...

Same with bioshock. I played it just for a few hours, but the storyline grabbed me by the dick and I kept playing until my friend had to kick me out of his place (lol, slight exaggeration)... but still...
    How the fuck did I miss this thread? Was I on bloody holiday or something? :D

I'll think about it and reply, in what may be considerable length, tomorrow.

For now I'll say only this -

SILENT HILL 2
    Jim V wrote: »
    How the fuck did I miss this thread? Was I on bloody holiday or something? :D

I'll think about it and reply, in what may be considerable length, tomorrow.

For now I'll say only this -

SILENT HILL 2

looking forward to it, as I haven't came across the SH series.
    Well you can, for now, check out Video Gaiden's short review of it in their retro special (classic stuff from the Consolevania boys as well),

http://www.bbc.co.uk/videogaiden/

Then play the TV special 2

Try the alternative version for the version in real player which lets you skip ahead a bit easier - the silent hill review starts after the great Bits piss take at 24.25
    I just finished Bioshock earlier today. Great story, and I liked the twist about the "magic phrase". :D