Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Friends who borrow clothes, grrrr

PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
How many of you have lent some clothes to your mates and had them back months later or with big cigarette burns on them? Well Paris has had enough of her mates taking the piss and has written to us to have a rant about it.

Hands off my things!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Easily solved, don't lend out your clothes! :yes:
  • Options
    It only bothers me when they look better in them than I do :grump:
  • Options
    I'd let my friends borrow my clothes, But, I wouldn't want them back!! :yuck:
  • Options
    Ive never borrowed my mates any clothes so ive never had that problem but it wud piss me off a lot
  • Options
    I borrowed clothes and I got clothes too from friends.

sometimes we gave each other them, without wanting them back. I give him a trouser and he gives me a trouser and a pullover.

That was really hip in our teens, especially because baggy pants looked cooler if they were worn and faded already.
  • Options
    I'd let my friends borrow my clothes, But, I wouldn't want them back!! :yuck:
    you give your clothes to your mates then, not lend them to them

also, why wouldnt you want them back? do you have skanky mates or something? or do they not wash them? :confused:
  • Options
    I wouldn't, but then my friends are smaller than I am lol.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    you give your clothes to your mates then, not lend them to them

also, why wouldnt you want them back? do you have skanky mates or something? or do they not wash them? :confused:

Nah, I just wouldn't wanna wear something they have wore. I'd never borrow any clothes off someone.

My clothes are like my signature.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    No one has ever borrowed clothes from me, and I've only borrowed once -but that was when me and the owner were staying in the same hotel, and just for one night.

People have borrowed CDs etc though, and one person in particular (coincidentally, the same one who lent me clothes :p) always returned them scratched or with their cases broken. :mad:

ETA: I forgot to add my point: I understand the topic is hear because the rant is (mainly?) about borrowing clothes, but clothes aren't the only thing to lend that can be damaged.
  • Options
    I would never lend my friends my clothes. The clothes I wear show my own personal style and I'd be worried that they couldn't find their own style.
  • Options
    I would never lend my friends my clothes. The clothes I wear show my own personal style and I'd be worried that they couldn't find their own style.

Oh for godness sake... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Mmm tolerance, what a wonderful thing. Each to their own, perhaps? :thumb:
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:

that made me laugh loads, as did iloras post in the first place :D

Me and my friends lend clothes sometimes, not very often, and i get them back :thumb: One of my best friends and me have the exact same taste in clothes and stuff and theres loads of things that we like of each others clothes that we would borrow but shes a size 6/8 and im a 12, gutted hehe. We often find that we've bought the same or similiar stuff though.

Lend accessories quite a lot, like bags/beads/bracelets :)
  • Options
    Mmm tolerance, what a wonderful thing. Each to their own, perhaps? :thumb:

Oh, and your original post was laced with tolerance wasn't it?!
  • Options
    We often find that we've bought the same or similiar stuff though.

Aren't you concerned at your lack of individual style?! :shocking:
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Aren't you concerned at your lack of individual style?! :shocking:

:lol: well yes sometimes i do lie awake worrying about it at night but then im alright after a bit.
  • Options
    bit ott that isnt it?

maybe they just like a top you have, doesnt mean they dont know their own style, it just means they like a PART of yours
  • Options

I'm Agreeing with you on this. :thumb:
  • Options
    My best friend is bigger than me in most ways, but her stomach is flatter than mine so she can get away with wearing tighter tops than mem(ie, my tops). I don;t mind that as long as she doesn;t look better than me in it, but she does have a tendancy to shred my tights because she has bigger thighs than me. Having said that, she always buys me a new pair, so I'm not too bothered.
    My sister is a pain in the arse on the basis she'll single out the new expensive thing I;ve bought, beg to wear it, bitch if i say no, try it on, look better than me, then make spiteful comments all night if i wear it. Or spill alcohol on it if i do allow her to wear it. Bloody hate big sisters sometimes.
  • Options
    I never borrowed friends clothes as they never fit, but they would borrow my sweatshirts because nobody can resist a giant fluffy sweatshirt.

When I visit my parents I always raid my sisters closet when shes out. Pack less so I have room for her stuff. She usually figures out most of the things and I have to bring them back next time I visit, but I'm still in posession of a few. Its not fair though because my parents still buy her clothes, I'm just trying to get my dues :p
  • Options
    Wow; I'd never have dreamt people would be so uppity about lending their own FRIENDS their stuff!

My flatmates and I use each other's wardrobes as often as we use our own; we mix and match one of our own tops with a scarf of someone else's, borrow each other's coats... sometimes one of us buys a dress they want to wear that night but don't have the right shoes to go with it so we'll wear each other's.... Why not? Why would you limit what you can wear to what you own yourself? As long as you trust each other to take care of the items (which, to be honest, if they're your friends then they will)

You buy clothes from shops, right? So that means other people have the same clothes as you, right? And WEAR them? What's the difference between that and lending a top to a mate? And that's STRANGERS, not even the people you care about. God forbid they steal your style.... Flipping hell.
  • Options
    Lots of my mates have jackets belonging to me and haven't given them back. At the same time, I have lots of their stuff. Don't lend out jeans or nothing like that.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    bit ott that isnt it?

maybe they just like a top you have, doesnt mean they dont know their own style, it just means they like a PART of yours
    It may be a bit 'OTT' for most people, but that's how I am. I'm very protective of my style because it's what sets me out from the rest. I hate looking like everyone else and I've always been like that.

I don't care if everyone else looks the same, I just wouldn't lend my clothes to people because I make a concerted effort to look different to the masses.

You can think what you like about how 'stuck up' that must make me. But to be frank I'd rather be stylish and stuck up than look like a sheep!!!!!!
  • Options
    Me and my mates don't really share clothes, we're more into sharing accessories and stuff. It's just the way we've always been!
  • Options
    It may be a bit 'OTT' for most people, but that's how I am. I'm very protective of my style because it's what sets me out from the rest. I hate looking like everyone else and I've always been like that.

I don't care if everyone else looks the same, I just wouldn't lend my clothes to people because I make a concerted effort to look different to the masses.

You can think what you like about how 'stuck up' that must make me. But to be frank I'd rather be stylish and stuck up than look like a sheep!!!!!!

I've seen your MySpace and you look like everyone else to me. Well, what I mean is that you don't particularly 'stand out' from the crowd.
  • Options
    All my friends have different styles, and we're all different sizes so we don't borrow clothes.
  • Options
    illora, we all have different styles even if we do wear the clothes that are 'in fashion'.

i would willingly lend my friends my clothes but it's never really been something we've done!
  • Options
    tbh you can only have individual style when you make your clothes or buy one off items of clothing

otherwise other people are bound to have the same clothes as you
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    tbh you can only have individual style when you make your clothes or buy one off items of clothing

otherwise other people are bound to have the same clothes as you
    correct

so not lending a mate a top because it's "your style" and you dont want them to nick it is pointless, they can just just go and buy it, but borrowing it saves them the money!
  • Options
    I like your glasses Ilora, who are they by. theyre a bit like my new ones.