Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

benefits stopped

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i split from my boyfriend 2 years ago and i moved into my own place, we have 2 children and last july we started seeing each other again, 2 months later the police raided my property and found cannibis plants in the back garden, he told me they were tomato plants - he knows how i feel about drugs, he was arrested and told the police he lived at my house as he did'nt want them to go to his house. as a result of this i narrowly escaped eviction and have since been investigated for benefit fraud, i have been really honest with the investigators but it seems they just take everything i say and use it against me, they stopped my benefits on 12/dec and i have been forced to work and put my little one in nursery, they refuse to reconsider and say i have to go to an appeal, my housing benefit has also stopped and i am struggling to pay the rent, i don't know what to do, they don't believe anything i say, and it does'nt help that my boyfriend is as dodgy as the day is long, they list there reasons as: he stays 3 nights a week, occasionally more, we have a joint bank account (which i told them about and hav'nt used since we first split up), he spends time with the children, friends perceive us to be a couple,

he does'nt live with me and i wish i'd lied from the start, what if they don't change there mind at the appeal, how will i live if i lose my job?

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure someone more intelligent about these things will be along soon, but in the meantime I'll try my best!

I assume they know that you haven't used the bank account? That would be a pretty easy one to prove.

Is he actually staying with you 3 nights a week?

If you don't qualify for the benefits you were on any more, do you qualify for different ones? Working tax credit maybe, or even Income Support.
  • Options
    they say that having a joint bank account shows evidence of a living together relationship! they can't have checked wether i've used it because if they had they would know that i hav'nt, infact they don't seem to have any factual evidence at all - i did'nt think these injustices actually happened,

i have put in a claim for working families tax credit, but hav'nt received anything yet and i have had to fork out upfront for nursey fees, also i don't get my wages until the end of the month

even on working tax credit i should be entitled to housing benefit and council tax benefit, but thats all stopped,

i hav'nt been this skint for a long time and i'm am literally going hungry so that my children can eat, my bills are all piling up, but i figure my rent and my kids have to be my top priority.
  • Options
    and as for the 3 times a week, he was staying that often until i found out i was being investigated, then i told him to stay at his house. which he has been doing since oct,
  • Options
    It might be worth considering shutting the account before you appeal it, although thinking further, you could just show them statements that show it's not been used.

Him having his own place I would have thought should help your case.

Can you speak to a benefits advisor about getting what you're entitled to, or at least what they think you should be entitled to.
  • Options
    There's a thing on here called 'askTheSite'. You should try that, I hear it's really good. You get summaries of some of the questions asked if you hunt round TheSite but I seem to recall you get a much more detailed personnal answer. If you put in as much detail as possible you should get some good professional help and advice from that.
  • Options
    Close the bank account for starters. If you don't use it, you don't need it. Or, at the very least, have his name taken off the account.

Which benefits are you talking about here by the way? Is it income support or another benefit?

I think there must be more to this story that you're letting on.

As for your bills piling up, don't let them! Call or write to the companies concerned telling them of your financial difficulties. If you're not sure how to go about this then go to the CAB where they will give you all the advice you need.
  • Options
    it is his account, so i will arrange for my name to be taken off it, as for theres more to this than meets the eye, this is the letter i've just received:

this is an "on the balance of probabilities decision"

background: she has been in an on/off relationship with ***** since 1995, and there are 2 children from the relationship. she says they lived as husband and wife for 6/7 years, but not at her present address which she took in her own name.

mr ***** comes to the house every day, and he stays some nights at the house, he owns a property but she says he doesn't ever stay there, it is let out to tenants, she could not give an address for him and i would expect this of her as she readily admits they are back in a relationship since about july 06.
    (i never said he doesn't ever stay there, i said he lives at his house and rents a couple of rooms out to help pay the mortgage - another example of them twisting what i say - which they do alot)

mr ****** gave her address as his address to the police, i feel this suggests he did not want to give the police false information. they have a joint bank account, which she says she doesn't use, but i think this represents strong evidence of a living together relationship, when he is in the house, she does the cooking for him. he helps with the care of the children such as collecting them from school.

(i never said i cooked for him, i said if he's over when i'm doing the kids tea, i will offer him some, twisting my words again - and as for helping with the kids and picking them up from school - if only, thats a complete lie)

they are acknowledged as a couple both by themselves and all who know them.

i have reconsidered and not changed the original decision: there is longevity of this relationship and the children of the relationship, and i believe it is likely he is spending far more time with her than she says.
    so thats it, i've tried to be honest with them and i think that was my mistake, i should have lied from the start and said that he never stayed over and i shouldn't have told them about the joint bank account, i just thought that if he wasn't living with me i had nothing to fear - i was wrong.
  • Options
  • Options
    You need to cut contact with him apart from access to the kids, because if they think youre a couple - that could be for as little as you doing his laundry or having meals together and he doesnt have a seperate address, then they will likely see you as being a couple.
    You definitely need to close the joint account, whether its used or not. It means you have access to his money, and as hes a homeowner and a landlord, then they are going to see that you have an income as a couple.

Its shit really but if youre actully seeing him again, then they will assume youre living together, unless you explain preoperly to the housing beneft and income support people that you arent living with him, youre just trying to slowly build a relationship back up with him again for the sake of the children but dont want to be forced into it finacially, but tbh, they probably wont care.
    I think you need to think carefully about whats best though and whether you do want to be with him if hes lying to you about growing cannabis in your garden to the extent that you get the house raided. He obviously REALLY cares about you and the kids, and he has his own income yet youre struggling to pay the rent and they stop your benefits cos of him.
    You CAN appeal against housing benefits decision, but they will likely take months and not care about you going into arrears. They are fuckers
  • Options
    When he stays over, does he sleep with you or in another room? Do you children think you're a couple? It says in the "letter" that all who know you think you are a couple.

From what you have said it does appear even to me that you are a couple (I'm sorry!) who are just going through some hard times.

EDIT: I've kept what I wrote above the same, but I wanted to add that I'm not saying you ARE a couple but that from what you have written that it could be perceived that way by someone investigating your benefit entitlement.
  • Options
    we are a couple, but we don't live together, i am serious about trying to make our relationship work, but i'm not ready to live with him yet.

i think its wrong that your not allowed to have a boyfriend and live on your own.

he can't help me out financally as he has his own bills to pay.

i have explained this to them and said that i pay all the bills at my house, buy all the food, take full resposibility for the kids, etc.
    i don't do his washing, he does't keep any clothes or anything else at my house, he brings a washbag when he stays & he doesn't have a key,
    i'm at my wits end with them, i feel like there trying to make me live with someone i don't want to live with, or split up with someone i don't want to split up with!!
  • Options
    This is the kind of situation I worry about. My bloke lives 25 miles away and I live by myself as a single parent. We have been together 4/5 years. If he stays more than one night a week I start worrying, even though I have heard that it's anything more than 3 nights a week they get funny about. I can prove that he doesn't live here but it's whether they would listen or not.

Does he have a council tax bill in his name at his own address? I know this is something the investigators are usually interested in.

You have been given some really good advice, I know the CAB is always fully booked but they might be able to put you onto a Welfare Rights Advisor who would be able to help you.

www.entitledto.com might help you work out what you are entitled to in the meantime.
  • Options
    You see, I think I have misunderstood your original post. I read it that you were no longer a couple.

I guess it can't help your case that he gave your address as his. As Joolyknockers said, I think the easiest way to clear up the whole mess would be for him to prove he lives elesewhere. He can show them recent bills etc perhaps?
  • Options
    I re-read it - if he stays more than 3 nights a week, that IS living together as far as benefits office is concerned.

All thats happened is youve been caught out sweetheart. You CANT claim as a single person if youre in a relationship because they will stop your benefits when they find out. If he has no income then claim as a couple - you will get more that way obviously.
    If youre a couple and he has an income then they will expect him to support you if youre living together. If hes not earning enough for you both to live on, you will probably be entitled to working families tax credits to boost your income.
    The benefits system doesnt necessarily make it easy for people who arent quite sure about the status of their relationship and they dont really care if you feel funny about asking him to pay his way etc. All they see is you have two kids together, you eat together and he often stays at your house more often than he doesnt, plus he has an income, so they arent gonna want to give you income support anymore.
  • Options
    he was staying 3 times a week, since oct he has stayed a handful of times, but that doesn't seem to make a difference!
  • Options
    so are you in a relationship with him?
    does he have a seperate address?
  • Options
    i am in a relationship with him and he does have a seperate address,

now i'm thinking i need to take the plunge ane move in with him (really don't want to do that as he has let me down quite recently)

or end the relationship completely (although not sure the benefits agency will believe me, they don't believe anything else i say)
    this seems a bit harsh - "i'm finishing with you so that i'm entitled to benefits!!
  • Options
    this seems a bit harsh - "i'm finishing with you so that i'm entitled to benefits!!

It does, yes. Have you considered trying to manage without all of these benefits? You said earlier you have a job. Can you get more hours or claim any working benefits?
  • Options
    if i don't do anything and try to live off my wages i'm worried they will say i have to pay back a shed load of money, and possibly send me to jail, its all very well, they've stopped my money and before oct i was guilty of letting him stay over to often, but the fact is he was never living with me

if i'd have known he wasn't allowed to stay over, i wouldn't have let him!
  • Options
    I dont think they will ask you to pay anything back. Theyve stopped your benefits - not started a fraud investigation.
    You ARE allowed to have a boyfriend (nice of em eh?) but they would expect you to let them know if it was a regular staying over more than a few times a week, and if it was more than that, then you maybe should have kept that a bit quieter (rightly or wrongly)
    The fact that hes the father of your kids and youve lived together before and its been on/off and all your shared history means theyre probably less likely to believe you.
    You probably *could* appeal against their decision and fight it, but theres no guarantee youll win. You will probably find that if you get a part time job of 15 hours, youll rake enough in in WFTC that you get as much as if youre working full time, considering you have two kids, and if your youngest is under 5, you can get up to 70% of your childcare paid too.
    The WFTC people arent nearly as arseholey and inclined to stop benefits at the drop of a hat as the job centre or housing benefit people, although they will want to still know if you have any change in circumstances.
  • Options
    as far as i'm aware it is a fraud investigation, they called me into the office in october, then someone visited my house a few weeks later, on the 12th dec they stopped my benefits, i then asked for a reconsideration, which they denied.
  • Options
    Can you see how dodgy it must look from their point of view as well?

Are you planning to live together full time again any time soon?
  • Options
    not anytime soon, he needs to stay on the right path for a while before i would consider it!

i know it looks dodgy, but i put a stop to him staying over in oct and i thought that would be enough to get them off my back, i thought they had to prove he was living with me, instead i have to prove that he doesn't

how can i do that when i've given them his address - it seems to me they've presumed i'm lying my **** off.

they havn't got any proof he's living with me, if they had followed him every day they would know that he doesn't!
  • Options
    well the fraud investigation will stop eventually then. In the meantime, it might be worth kicking up a fuss and saying you want your money backdated.
    They can be complete cunts tbh, especially housing benefit.
  • Options
    you should also check whether you are entitled to a 'back to work' benefit- it comes from the same people as income support, and if you were on that for a certain amount of time they can give you £250 (I think) hen you come off IS and start working.
  • Options
    Oh, and I've found that HB people are lying cunts, so I now refuse to have any communication with them that isn't recorded either by recording phone calls or demanding everything be by letter.