Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rewire PSU

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I need to get stuff off my SATA disk and because I fucked up my PSU I am unable to fire up the rig, so what I was thinking of doing is taking the wires from that PSU and putting them in the DELL PSU (that one will not connect to my mobo) - dp you think it will work or am I asking for trouble?

Comments

• Options
    Why do you need to do that though?

Most SATA disks have the other sort of power connector too.

Otherwise you can get standard molex > SATA convertors, molex splitters, etc. I can't see why you'd actually need to physically rewire anything.
  • Options
    Actually, just found a mega old PC. If I take the molex thats connected to the SATA's power cable and connect that to the PSU, is there any way I could take whats off whats on that disk as I wouldn't be able install the drive as the old mobo doesn't cater for a SATA disk? I guess I'd have to use soe data recovery tools for that.
  • Options
    So you have a SATA drive but no SATA motherboard?
  • Options
    You definitley don't want to go messing inside a PSU as they can be pretty dangerous.

External wires should be ok if they are compatible.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    So you have a SATA drive but no SATA motherboard?

mobo is fucked, faulty USB ports and will no longer boot.
  • Options
    You can sell it anyway... and get some bucks
  • Options
    No because it's got all my data on there that i need off it. I'd have no way to wipe it any way.
  • Options
    I'm being really thick here and not understanding how rewiring the PSU will help.
  • Options
    Because the PSU is blow - I have another one from a Dell PC but it's a little different
  • Options
    If it looks possible and safe then it might be worth a try, if not it's worth forking out 30 quid on a new one.
  • Options
    I'm only gonna use the the PSU once, even then there is no guarantee I will be able to boot due to dodgy USB ports, might as well buy a SATA /IDE 2 USB cable for an extra tenner. I think I'll get some network storage device, I can then use the other disk(s) to backup on to. Been looking to get one for a while now so I guess I'll start looking for one.
  • Options
    Don't take wires from one PSU and plug them into another PSU. Wires from the PSU are virtually all for output, you don't want to short them.

I have to say this - if you can't describe what you're actually trying to do, then don't do anything. You quite obviously lack the knowledge required to pull it off, and a mistake can render many things useless - including yourself.

Hard drives need 12v and 5v supplies to work, if that helps?