Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Making friends

I'm really crap at making friends with girls, whats the best way to go about it? Have i gotta act a certain way or something?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    just talk about certain topics until you find something you have in common.
  • Options
    You shouldn't have to change how you act, from reading your previous posts over the years you seem like a perfectly lovely lass. I know of some girls that find it difficult to make friends with other females. A lot of this is due to jealousy, petty eh? But if most of your mates are lads I wouldn't worry.

As for specifics, I find 90% of girls love a good bitch, a communal perve session, and lusting after anything found in the window of Topshop.
  • Options
    if none of that works you could always just go up to them and say "wanna get high?" :D
  • Options
    if none of that works you could always just go up to them and say "wanna get high?"

Is that how you made all your friends? :p
  • Options
    Hey Hey this isn't about me... :p
  • Options
    Hey Hey this isn't about me... :p

Well maybe you was speaking from experience ...
  • Options
    I never really tried it...but hey LacyMay might get lucky...

Anyways on a serious note, just chat about the normal general shite and see where that gets you.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    I'm really crap at making friends with girls, whats the best way to go about it? Have i gotta act a certain way or something?

They're probably threaten by you
  • Options
    Just be natural. And be nice. Not fake, nice.
  • Options
    Maybe try and loose this reputation. Girls are sometimes harsh at prejudging girls.

Some girls aren't really suitable to have female friends. Actually many of my female friends are KINDA like that. Have more male friends, etc. Not exclusively tho...

It's not that hard me thinks. Girls are often subtle about things and it's nice if someone (one of the same species!) already knows what you are talking about, or how you think. Girls have it therefore usually easier to open up to other girls. Do the usual girly stuff, ask to go shopping, or what the hell....

Attention, stereotyping-train... *tuuut tuuut* Last stop, generalization city.
  • Options
    some girls just don't get on well with other girls for whatever reason. i'm a very girly girl and although i have male friends who im quite close to, most of my friends and certainly best friends are female. so if you're quite tomboyish then it makes sense that you will prefer male company.

i don't see how making friends with girls is much different to making friends with lads. apart from lads will talk about how fit you are once you've left the room. :razz: generally to make a good impression just be nice and friendly. initiate conversation and ask questions. have a laugh, say we should do this again and then exchange numbers.
  • Options
    just be yourself, no use in acting a certain way because then you'll have to keep it up.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    Maybe try and loose this reputation. Girls are sometimes harsh at prejudging girls.

How does telling a guy he's no good in bed compare to having limited female friends? Is there some sort of correlation I'm missing? Perhaps the fact that she's honest to a person's face, a quality some of my sex lack?
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    Maybe try and loose this reputation.

how did i not see this?! you really are a class A ahem sometimes.

like the poster above me said, what does this have to do with the price of fish?!
  • Options
    Halloween wrote:
    How does telling a guy he's no good in bed compare to having limited female friends? Is there some sort of correlation I'm missing? Perhaps the fact that she's honest to a person's face, a quality some of my sex lack?

Well, she was afraid that it speaks around:
    at the moment is because i now have a (slightly true) reputation of telling blokes they are crap during sex[...]

Sleep with a friend of some girl? no problem.
    bulldoze this guys ego and make him miserable, well that might get somehow back to you, and the (female) friend of that boy won't be too impressed either if she gets wind of it.

You know how rumours start spreading. At the end of the day nobody wants to know the man-eater.

Is it really that far fetched? You should know how a lot of girls give out about somebody behind their backs, if there is some bad rep involved to badmouth about.

/eta: It's MY correlation and MY opinion. I might not be female, but it puts me off not to say it's a horrible trait. So following your analogy of making male and female friends isn't all that different, that might be something that matters. end of story.
  • Options
    It's my opinion you're talking shite. Girls enjoy a bit of healthy competition amongst themselves, they enjoy having friends on the same wavelength, the same sexual predatory skills as themselves and if LacyMay isn't clicking with anybody at the minute I urge her not to change her ways because that's just insecure female think, "ohh she's a maneater, can't be friends with that one..."

What the fuck? That doesn't make an iota of sense.
  • Options
    There is a point in there somewhere about how girls don't like to be tainted by reputation. For a bloke being mates with the biggest Don Juan in town is a good thing, being bezzies with the female equivalent is somewhat less attractive. Extremely unfair and something that people deny continues to happen, but it does. I lost girlfriends when I was younger because of this attitude, though strangely it seems to gain you more male friends :p

To develop and keep friendships with other women you have to be incredibly open while still watching your mouth. As Halloween said, they all like a good bitch until it's directed at them. Basically you need to have something in common with them, start chatting and magically get on like a house on fire. If they get the impression you're just trying to make a friend, any friend then they'll probably snub you.

I've always found female friends very hard work, but they are worth it if you can find some you have things in common with and click with. If you can't then it's not worth seeking lasses out - or changing the way you are yourself! - just so you can feel you have a female friendship group - no female friends are better than a boring bunch of harridans.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    You know how rumours start spreading. At the end of the day nobody wants o know the man-eater.

Lol i've got the reputation that i'm a heartless bitch, not that i'm a man eater! Although to be fair not sure which ones worse :chin:

I tend to have more male friends because i find that they keep conversations light hearted, whilst my female friends (i do have some, just not loads) are always depressing me with stories about blokes fucking them over, or other emotional stuff which to be honest i'm not really used to. I'm not a tomboy or anything, my rooms pink an stuff :p I just think maybe i intimidate some girls? I dunno, the only girl friends i have are from school, i don't seem to be able to make new friends easily.
  • Options
    Halloween wrote:
    It's my opinion you're talking shite. Girls enjoy a bit of healthy competition amongst themselves, they enjoy having friends on the same wavelength, the same sexual predatory skills as themselves and if LacyMay isn't clicking with anybody at the minute I urge her not to change her ways because that's just insecure female think, "ohh she's a maneater, can't be friends with that one..."

What the fuck? That doesn't make an iota of sense.

competition? Competition? That's friendship not the fucking world wrestling federation. If it's your aim to find a girl to see if you can match up with her, whoever gets more dick up the chocolate starfish that's not friendship for me, that's jealousy and always trying to surpass the other.

It's my opinion that you are a moron.
    LacyMay wrote:
    Lol i've got the reputation that i'm a heartless bitch, not that i'm a man eater! Although to be fair not sure which ones worse :chin:

I tend to have more male friends because i find that they keep conversations light hearted, whilst my female friends (i do have some, just not loads) are always depressing me with stories about blokes fucking them over, or other emotional stuff which to be honest i'm not really used to. I'm not a tomboy or anything, my rooms pink an stuff :p I just think maybe i intimidate some girls? I dunno, the only girl friends i have are from school, i don't seem to be able to make new friends easily.

question is, why do you want more female friends? Like you said, blokes keep it lighthearted and are really easy going in friendships. Do you need people to pour your heart out? Do you want girly evenings? Is it that your boy friends fall for you and that's something you don't want to handle?

I think the easiest solution is, to find new female friends through the ones you already have. Most of my friends I have are through other friends etc. It's a like a chain reaction.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    question is, why do you want more female friends? Like you said, blokes keep it lighthearted and are really easy going in friendships. Do you need people to pour your heart out? Do you want girly evenings? Is it that your boy friends fall for you and that's something you don't want to handle?

I think the easiest solution is, to find new female friends through the ones you already have. Most of my friends I have are through other friends etc. It's a like a chain reaction.

Well i think it's because i would benefit from being more girly. It's too hard to explain and to be honest i don't think i even know in my head but i feel like i'm missing out.
  • Options
    maybe if you found girls who talk about how crap guys are in bed, you could make friends with them?
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Well i think it's because i would benefit from being more girly. It's too hard to explain and to be honest i don't think i even know in my head but i feel like i'm missing out.
    girly in what sense? do you mean to give you a softer side?
  • Options
    Doomsday wrote:
    maybe if you found girls who talk about how crap guys are in bed, you could make friends with them?
    thats not helpful
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    girly in what sense? do you mean to give you a softer side?

Yes thats what i mean. People joke that i don't feel anything, or that i don't have any feelings about anything which is kinda true to an extent. I figure i need to be softened up or something.
  • Options
    Do you have any female friends at all?

I'm the opposite, I don't really have any male friends, maybe because I have no brothers and went to an all girls school.

I'd suggest chatting to people at work, asking them to come to lunch with you, asking them about their clothes/relationships/general gossip.

I couldn't live without my female friends. Who else would you discuss the non understanding of men with?
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Do you have any female friends at all?

I have maybe 3 or 4, and they are all from school. I realised i haven't made anymore since then, i just never know what to say etc.
  • Options
    Oh well I don't have any friends from school that I still see. My friends are from college, youth theatre, work and friends of friends. And uni.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    I have maybe 3 or 4, and they are all from school. I realised i haven't made anymore since then, i just never know what to say etc.
    whats wrong with those female friends? do you see them much?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    whats wrong with those female friends? do you see them much?

Theres nothing wrong with them, we have a laugh an everything but no i don't see them much.
  • Options
    is there any reason you don't see them much?